GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But, my Wing is in the garage (motorcycle-related!), so it should be safe!

The projected main path of the storm is now just a few miles east of my location, but the most current forecasts show it shifting west. :eek:4: :eek:4:

We're obviously hoping it shifts back east. My family is choosing to ride it out.

Right now there are no plans to let the Marines and Sailors head west, but that could change quickly. The word on the street is by noon tomorrow everyone will be turned loose.

I'll report back as I'm able. Keep all of us in eastern NC in your prayers as well as the more heavily populated areas in the northeastern US.

Batten safely.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Been thru a couple of these and it's not fun. Batten down the hatches and remember that everything can be replaced except your lives. Take care and keep us posted.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Prayers from Hooterville, TN for all o' y'all (that's a Southern technical term) and I hope y'all keep your powder dry. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I have been through Hurricane Wilma (took roof off our new CBS home with hipped roof). Eight inch diameter trees were pulled out including roots :eek:4:.
I have friends that were 40 miles south of me that were hit by Hurricane Andrew. Most of Kendal was complete devastation :22yikes:.
If I had a cat 3 Hurricane coming at me I would head the opposite way a couple days in advance. The eye is east of Palm Beach as I type.
I know one fellow who went through Andrew and leaves town when anything stronger than a cat 2 is headed this way.
If I were you and could escape without getting caught up in a traffic jam, I would haul azz :nojoke:. JMO

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/152235.shtml?gm_track

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
Lets hope the weather and news shows are doing their typical song and dance outine and making mountains of mole hills.

prs

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Having been through two (David in Savannah and Ewa in Hawaii) I feel your pain. Personal choice is paramount, but I personally will never try to ride one out again. I'll batten down the house and then run like heck.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I've ridden out all the hurricanes that came though here, but I wouldn't recommend that for really bad storms, unless you're kinda crazy (like me).

Good luck to all those on the east coast. Stay safe.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Good luck to you. Find a safe place. I've been through my share here in Texas for sure.

If something does happen, has anyone volunteered to drive your GW? Just asking...

:doorag:

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Looks dangerous. Maybe you should ride West to Chattanooga.:yes1:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Been in one? If not, you may be in for a rude ride. If so, you already know that.

What ever you do, do it safely and use your better judgment. It is a lot easier to come back early than to leave late.

See ya when the clouds clear.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Hurricane safely :nojoke:, Charley

·
Registered
72 Posts
Evacuated twice for potential hurricanes in '04. So much traffic, so much confusion, so much cost and the ironic thing was both storms missed our home and hit us up in Jax Beach where we had evacuated to. Wilma came in '05 and we stayed put. I'll not leave again unless it's a Cat 4 barreling right in on top of us. I'm ready with generators, water, fuel and food.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Put on your rain gear, and go for a ride.:lol:

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
After reading these reply's I don't think we will be hearing from robeth until at least the first mcdonalds inland

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If I were you and could escape without getting caught up in a traffic jam, I would haul azz :nojoke:. JMO

GatorWing,

I'm with YOU, brother, but the spouse says, "I'm not leaving my house!"

I've even got two tickets waiting for me to the Bristol race Saturday night, so I'm ready to go.

However, if mama ain't happy, nobody's happy!

We'll continue to monitor.

Thanks, everyone, for the concern.

More info as available.

Ride out safely.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Didn't you get stranded on a desert island after a boat trip in a hurricane? :shrug:

Good luck to you. Find a safe place. I've been through my share here in Texas for sure.

If something does happen, has anyone volunteered to drive your GW? Just asking...

:doorag:

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just so everyone knows, we've been through a few storms in the nine years we've been here.

Our house is very well built to resist these storms; we have plenty of food and water; we have generators, fuel and other supplies; our chain saw is tuned up and ready for action.

We'll see what the projections are over the next 18-21 hours.

Heck, as of now everybody is reporting to work on time tomorrow and schools are still scheduled to be in session......that all may change.

Out. :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
Bob,

I looks like this one is going to be a strong Cat2 or weak Cat3 and is going to smack you good. I would get anything of value onto a second floor (including your generator) until this passes, just in case. It looks like the area were you are is prone to some flooding so be careful.

I'm willing to ride one out up to a mid-Cat3. After that, I'm history so be careful. If they start ordering evacuations, ya'll are welcome down here.

If you need ANYTHING, don't hesitate to call.

Fingers crossed for you dude! :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 94 Posts