GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yokohama 195/55RF-16 87V, maybe 25 miles....wife say's no, the rim is ugly thanks to Walmart mounting it...i'd like 180. plus shipping from 06249, the tire weighs 38lbs, is 8" wide and 24.5 round, it will be wrapped in cellophane w/cardboard rim protectors, i have found usps the lowest in the past, oh. there is a new chrome metal valve stem there too. please look at the pics I don't want any one dissatisfied, also, i have a busy week schedule so i may not be able to ship until Saturday or Monday (if my wife helps it will be sooner), thanks to all who looked.

Joe

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,635 Posts
PM Sent.

Hoss

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Yokohama 195/55RF-16 87V, maybe 25 miles....wife say's no, the rim is ugly thanks to Walmart mounting it...i'd like 180. plus shipping from 06249, the tire weighs 38lbs, is 8" wide and 24.5 round, it will be wrapped in cellophane w/cardboard rim protectors, i have found usps the lowest in the past, oh. there is a new chrome metal valve stem there too. please look at the pics I don't want any one dissatisfied, also, i have a busy week schedule so i may not be able to ship until Saturday or Monday (if my wife helps it will be sooner), thanks to all who looked.

Joe

I was about to go there to have mine mounted Now I won't Thanks.
If you don't mind me asking, what did the wife object to? I have one to (WIFE) and just ordered my first CT and thought I had done enough research but may have missed something. :shrug:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Also sent PM

PM also sent.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I was about to go there to have mine mounted Now I won't Thanks.
If you don't mind me asking, what did the wife object to? I have one to (WIFE) and just ordered my first CT and thought I had done enough research but may have missed something. :shrug:
I have the same Walmart gouges in the exact same places! I had the ct mounted on a new spare rim I had and when I first saw it I was bothered but the Walmart tech said that's how they do it and its on the inside anyway so no one will see. Since I really couldn't tell them it was a MC rim I just let it go. Once on the bike you will never notice it. AT Least I don't and now I have a screwed up rim to have future tires mounted for 5 bucks at wallmart ( or any tire shop in an emergency on the road). I understand they can clamp it on the outside if you ask but if they are going to
F%&# that up too I'd rather have the gouges on the inside.

·
Registered
195 Posts
PM sent

Another PM sent

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi All,

first off sale is pending to first PM. second, the wife objected to the slow speed issue of running over 1/2 of a object ( i did also). third gotta love wally world...i dropped off the tire and rim, they tagged it for mounting, i came back later and they said they could not mount it (never got to why, keep reading...) but the tech said he did mount it....apparently someone came in after me to have a tire mounted, they meant to decline mine because they did not "recognize" the rim, but instead they mounted it and gave it to the lady who came in after me! after a hour or so the lady returned realizing the mistake, i told them it was for a trailer and they said that explains it.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I am on my 2nd CT. First was a Kumho, I was not pleased with the low speed handling when running over sideways dips in the road, etc.

Currently run a Michelin Alpin, the difference is night and day. Still a minor issue in the same circumstance, but much much better. I think the different profiles of the different mfg's tires makes all the difference. Love my Alpin.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I am on my 2nd CT. First was a Kumho, I was not pleased with the low speed handling when running over sideways dips in the road, etc.

Currently run a Michelin Alpin, the difference is night and day. Still a minor issue in the same circumstance, but much much better. I think the different profiles of the different mfg's tires makes all the difference. Love my Alpin.

In my opinion the Yoko is rounder than the Michelin.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Walmart's has tons of customers come in wanting passenger car tires mounting on trailers. Due to liability Walmart created a policy that only trailer tires can be installed on trailers but if a customer walks in with a rim & wants a non trailer tire mounted on the rim they can do it. Walmart Just won't install it on the trailer. That is what opened the door for us darksiders mounting car tires on the rear wheel if a Goldwing. Most people don't realize it mounts on the bike same as a car wheel on a car. Now you know the rest of the story. Hehe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
562 Posts
In my opinion the Yoko is rounder than the Michelin.
Hey Duckster, have you ridden both of them and compared how they handle the occasional "weirdness" experienced occasionally due to the tire profile? Interested in hearing if so.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Walmart's has tons of customers come in wanting passenger car tires mounting on trailers. Due to liability Walmart created a policy that only trailer tires can be installed on trailers but if a customer walks in with a rim & wants a non trailer tire mounted on the rim they can do it. Walmart Just won't install it on the trailer. That is what opened the door for us darksiders mounting car tires on the rear wheel if a Goldwing. Most people don't realize it mounts on the bike same as a car wheel on a car. Now you know the rest of the story. Hehe

My local Wally wouldn't mount a non-trailer tire on my "trailer" rim. After looking at above pics, glad they wouldn't. Found a little mom & pop that charges a couple bucks more but took great pains not to make any scratches.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Then in that store they don't know what is going on, which happens a lot since Walmart eliminated automotive specific mgmt.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Originally Posted by j32475
Hi All,

the wife objected to the slow speed issue of running over 1/2 of a object ( i did also).

Please explain this, is running over half a object an issue with the darkside? i was thinking about trying it.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Hey Duckster, have you ridden both of them and compared how they handle the occasional "weirdness" experienced occasionally due to the tire profile? Interested in hearing if so.

Thanks.
I have run a Kumho and a PA3 until they wore out. I got 8K out of the Kumho, and 10K out of the Michelin. The Michelin was fine after a few thousand miles, but when new it would feel "squishy" when pushed hard coming out of corners. In all honesty it was never much of a factor, I only get to spend 10% of my miles riding solo in the twisties. I only have about 1500 miles on the Yoko, but I like it better new than the Michelin. I do not think it will last as long as the Michelin, won't know until fall. Very little "weird" feel to either, but less with the Yoko. If you are faster than all your friends try the Yoko, if not the Michelin should be your choice.

·
Registered
901 Posts
You will feel this with any ct. A reflector marker button at an intersection that you sit on 1/2 way will push you to the road surface direction or a sink hole from heavy trucks at intersection if you are on the slope edge the tire follows the slope. Just have to be aware it will happen otherwise stay with a mc/t.

Originally Posted by j32475
Hi All,

the wife objected to the slow speed issue of running over 1/2 of a object ( i did also).

Please explain this, is running over half a object an issue with the darkside? i was thinking about trying it.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have run a Kumho and a PA3 until they wore out. I got 8K out of the Kumho, and 10K out of the Michelin. The Michelin was fine after a few thousand miles, but when new it would feel "squishy" when pushed hard coming out of corners. In all honesty it was never much of a factor, I only get to spend 10% of my miles riding solo in the twisties. I only have about 1500 miles on the Yoko, but I like it better new than the Michelin. I do not think it will last as long as the Michelin, won't know until fall. Very little "weird" feel to either, but less with the Yoko. If you are faster than all your friends try the Yoko, if not the Michelin should be your choice.
Well, I'm already faster than all my friends while running the Michelin, so I guess I won't need the Yoko unless I change friends! :lol:

Thanks! May have to check it out in the future.

Joe

1 - 18 of 18 Posts