GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this after beating the tire store guy up for $ 124.00 and looking very close at the tire and, WOW!! the detail of workman ship as well as the rounded shoulders along with 560 UTQG sold me. I'm running the Drive Guard that's about done with good results. I thought I'd try try something different, what I've seen on the board I'm sure I'll be happy!

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
After a DriveGuard, you are likely to find the Yoko to feel very heavy in turns. It weighs a lot and the extra rotating mass when going down the road makes a big difference. I have worn out 4 Avid Envigor tires, but I don't use them any more. BTW: The Yoko has a really stiff side wall so you should probably run less air pressure than you used in the Drive Guard.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
A drivegard is 24 pounds, a Yoko is 25 pounds. I'm on my third Yoko, soon to be a fourth. Both are good tires, I prefer the symmetrical tread design of the Yoko.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Something interesting when buying, he showed me his cost $ 94.00. While shopping some sites are selling at $ 200.00? Anyway, I also like the tread pattern, maybe less squirrely in the ruts.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I like the Yokohama. Interesting, at least to me, today I mounted a new 195/55-16 to replace an identical worn tire and weighed them just for the heck of it. New tire was 2.5LB heavier than the worn. I was kind of surprised 2.5LB of rubber wears off a tire.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I like the Yokohama. Interesting, at least to me, today I mounted a new 195/55-16 to replace an identical worn tire and weighed them just for the heck of it. New tire was 2.5LB heavier than the worn. I was kind of surprised 2.5LB of rubber wears off a tire.
Wow. I would have guessed the rubber loss to be about 1/2 of that. Shows what I know.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Dudes.....This is THE best tire for your GoldWing to darkside with. Just in case anyone wanted my opinion. Which I'm sure you didn't.

·
SuperModerator
3,415 Posts
Wow. I would have guessed the rubber loss to be about 1/2 of that. Shows what I know.
I too was as surprised as was Fluke and Networkguy3 that the rubber loss was so high. But, I'm reading this at 5:30 AM so I am bored. I calculated the rubber loss on a 195/55/16 tire going from 10/32" tread depth new to 2/32" at replacement. This is 74 cubic inches of tread loss, so with a specific gravity of 1.0 that equates to 2.7 pounds of rubber loss.

Whodathunkit!

Glen

·
IronMan
17,230 Posts
I WAS READY SOMEWHERE (ON THE INTERNET ) THAT THE NEWER RUBBER IS MADE FROM A FAT RUBBER TREE ! CK AND SEE IF AN ORGANIC PLANT BE BETTER !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts