GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting to plan for a trip next year checked on lodging in the parks and they are filling up already, but biggest question is how much time should I allow in each park, is a day in each one enough or should we spend 2 and then how much time should we plan for on riding Hiway 1 and 101, probably getting on west of Santa Rosa( not going ride through San Fran, no way a rural Ia farm guy going to ride in that traffic) then riding to Astoria Or along the coast, would appreciate any tips on what to see and where to stay too Thanks

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
You didn't say what time of year, Tioga pass through Yosemite, in a normal year, doesn't open until the end of May, (as well as Glacier Point), which would limit you to the valley floor. 90% of the tourists just do Yosemite valley anyway, you could certainly do it in a day if you just got on the tour bus, rode around, and didn't do any hiking. Same with Sequoia, if you just drive through and stop at the main points of interest, you could blow through in a day easy. I would venture a guess once you are here, you will be struck with such awe, you will wish you allotted more time.

As for Pacific coast highway, joining that road North of SF is a good choice. Again, running the road can be done in short order, depends on how much you want to stop and enjoy the view. Highway 1 in Oregon follows the coast all the way, is about 300 miles, and is fantastic. Oregon has a lot of State parks along that stretch and a stop at those is well worth it. Plus a stop in Coos Bay, Florence, Bandon, Tillamook, and Astoria are a must.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Why not go thru San Francisco and across the Golden Gate Bridge? I went thru there and traffic was no big deal! After crossing Golden Gate Bridge, we took the 1st road that carried us to hwy 1. We had a blast......

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Assuming that you can get reservations, I'd recommend at least two nights/3days in Yosemite. If you enjoy hiking and are fit, there are some thrilling trails & spectacular views. Be sure to ride to the lookout at Glacier Point.

Though I enjoy "the road less traveled by", I will never advocate skipping Hwy 1 between San Luis Obispo and Monterey/Santa Cruz. Less than an hour north of SLO is San Simeon - and Hearst Castle. I'd recommend taking at least one, and preferably two, tours. Then spend the afternoon & night in Cambria.
next day ride the rest of the way to Big Sur and on to Carmel/Monterey/Santa Cruz.

Have a great time!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Pm me

We are still on the road of a trip that included both parks and pch. I can share my thoughts, experiences and suggestions. Typing on mobile phone from the motel.

Gary

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I would suggest taking Hwy 1 hitting the coast from Leggett. The road from Leggett to the coast is amazing, then it drops you through some coastal redwoods, and down to the coast. Going through San Francisco is not that difficult. Once you get over the Golden Gate Bridge, you just follow the signs that take you back to the 1. It only involves I think 2 turns. It's really not that hard to navigate it, even for a country boy. We did it at 3 o'clock on a Friday, and it was not bad(but I'm familiar with LA traffic). I would think trying to go around San Francisco navigating the freeways would be far more difficult.

As for Sequoia, and Yosemite, you could do both parks just riding through in one day, or you could spend a virtually unlimited amount of time in each park taking short hikes, visiting the visitor centers, taking all the side trips, every vista point, etc. Unless you are planning to do all of the attractions, a bunch of hikes, etc. you can see the parks in 1 day each, and take in a lot of the park. We pretty much rode through the parks, and made a few picture spots, and saw them both in one day. We had all seen the parks before, so we didn't spend a large amount of time in either. If possible, I would encourage you to go during the week, as traffic will be less, although you will still hit traffic.

·
Registered
20,955 Posts
Yosemite is by far the most visited national park so like others have said try visiting during the week when there are fewer folks

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Make sure you stop at the Tillamook Cheese factory for a tour and then sample some of their dee-licious ice cream. Tour is free and interesting and you even get some cheese samples. Also when in Astoria visit the Astoria Maritime Museum (very interesting) and also make sure you ride the bridge from the Astoria side over to the WA. side. You start out at the top of the bridge and you descend to a point where you think you will go right into the water. :eek:4: Also in Astoria if you're up to climbing a 164 spiral step staircase to the top of the observation deck that overlooks the Columbia River stop at the Astoria Column. Enjoy your visit.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Crater Lake in Oregon may have been the highlight of a trip that started at Glacier National Park traveling west to 101 in Washington, stopping at all of the major parks along the way down 101 to LA including Yosemite. The trees in Sequoia have to be seen to be believed.

·
Registered
115 Posts
if you can't stay in Yosemite, there are cabins to rent at Bass Lake. It's a quick / beautiful ride to the park. I did the ride a couple days with wifey on my triumph.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
<...>As for Sequoia, and Yosemite, you could do both parks just riding through in one day, or you could spend a virtually unlimited amount of time in each park taking short hikes, visiting the visitor centers, taking all the side trips, every vista point, etc. Unless you are planning to do all of the attractions, a bunch of hikes, etc. you can see the parks in 1 day each, and take in a lot of the park. We pretty much rode through the parks, and made a few picture spots, and saw them both in one day. We had all seen the parks before, so we didn't spend a large amount of time in either. If possible, I would encourage you to go during the week, as traffic will be less, although you will still hit traffic.
For a first-time in both parks, this is exactly how we did them a couple years ago.

Plenty of short (30 minute - 1 hour) places to get off the bike and walk to that are worth it in Yosemite. Sequoia is relativly small; you can get a sense of what's there in about three hours.

The road between those two parks (we took a 'shortest distance' GPS routing that included CA-41 and CA-180/CA-198) was pretty nice; in the summer, there will be roads - and construction. :/

have fun!

·
Registered
94 Posts
depends on your preferences.

Last summer on our first trip to both parks we stayed a week in that area. Both parks are amazing. As we like to hike trails and really immerse ourselves in the beautiful surroundings. They are both amazing ! You can easily ride thru both parks in 3 days if you just stop at the overlooks. Personally, I could spend a week in each park....but thats not riding...thats hiking and just enjoying the beauty.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
http://evergreenmuseum.org/

Update to my Post # 11
Check out the above website. If you are into old aircraft the Evergreen Aviation Museum in McMinnville OR is a must see. A remarkable collection of aircraft including the Spruce Goose. McMinnville is approximately 70 mi. inland from Tillamook OR and definitely worth stopping there. So many things to see, so little time. :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts