GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here at Carson city nv and going into Yosemite to ride for Saturday. Which way would be the best route for a quick loop ? Any help would-be appreciated in seeing a few big trees.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Ride down 395 to 120 takes you in to Yosemite. Ride across to Crane Flat. From there you can go up and out of the park on 120 or go left and ride down to the Valley. Then back up to 120 and out. Go right on 49 up to Sonora. You can go over 108 back to 395 then North to Carson City or stay on 49 to 4 at Angels Camp then over or continue up 49 to Jackson right on 88 to the fork in the road. Well you can make a left on 89 to Meyers go right into South Lake Tahoe on 50 that will take you to 395 at the South end of Carson City, or go straight on 88 and that will take you back to 395 at Minden. Depending on the time you spend in Yosemite will determined how late you get back to Carson City.

It will be a fun ride, but long. There is no quick loop from Carson City to Yosemite and back.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to ask an important question is there gas in Yosemite ?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Yes in one location at Crane Flat. I would buy before entering the park and after getting out or you will open your Wallet like a Dentist tells you to open wide please. There is a Station at 395 and 120 and pretty good food too.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I forgot to ask an important question is there gas in Yosemite ?
Gas prices (06/28/2014):

Gardnerville - $3.78- 16 miles from Carson City (CC)
Lake Topaz - $4.06 - 36 miles from CC
Lee Vining -$4.84 - 107 miles from CC (shell station, Mobile station (where a lot of people stop) is $4.99
Yosemite - 4.84 - Crane Flat is 170 miles from CC, Toulomne Meadows, same price, 128 miles from CC or 21 miles past Lee Vining
Groveland - $4.14 - 198 miles from CC
Jamestown - $3.99 - 221 miles from CC (over 120 e.g. Tioga Pass)

There is construction on highway 120 near Crane Flat. Have avoided riding that for this year - because in the past it has been a lot of gravel. Another member thought it was about 10 - 15 miles of construction. I would probably suggest buying fuel at Toulomne and asking how the road conditions are. There is also a ranger station / visitor center just west of the gas station at Toulomne where they could give you additional info.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well thanks for the help , I'm back now at Reno for the night . all I can say is wow ! What a ride ! Went down 395 to 120 then 49 to 108 ... Never seen 25 percent grades....an awesome scenery . It was a long day but well worth it .

Seen alot of wings out there today....

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Glad to hear you had a great ride.

Here's your sign;

Sonora.jpg

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Left reno nv. Sunday am and spent the night at rock springs wy. Then left there Monday am an ended up at des Moines Iowa . What a ride its been... Met a forum member and his wife from las Vegas when I stopped for gas in Nebraska , looks as though I will be catching up to the storm in Illinois.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Left reno nv. Sunday am and spent the night at rock springs wy. Then left there Monday am an ended up at des Moines Iowa . What a ride its been... Met a forum member and his wife from las Vegas when I stopped for gas in Nebraska , looks as though I will be catching up to the storm in Illinois.
umm, how do we know your not just sitting in your living room? need pics to prove it:)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I left des moines Ia. on Tuesday at 7am then made it home at midnight . I am still amazed at rte. 108 in California . I could ride that road again Pics to follow.
First pic is beartooth pass , Sonora pass , Yosmite Falls , Yosmite , leaving Red Lodge headed up beartooth into a storm

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Des Moines

Hey RedRider2,
It was nice meeting with you in Iowa. We just made it home last night. After we left you we pushed on to North Platte Nebraska. The next morning we visited Buffalo Bills ranch then drove through Denver and stopped at Buffalo Bills burial site atop Lookout Mountain. We didn't plan it that way but we couldn't pass up the opportunity after we saw the sign marking his grave. Got back on the road at 8pm as they closed the gates to the park behind us. By this time it was getting dark and at almost every turn there was a group of deer or elk. I called it a night in Vail as I didn't want an up close and personal with one of the areas wildlife.
Beautiful waking up in Vail! Riding through that part of Colorado should only be done during the day. If Vail wasn't enough Glenwood Springs was just around the corner to give us another scenic wonder.
I planned it so that we would be in Vegas after the sun was down. Even at that the temperature peaked at 106.
Glad to hear you made it home. You certainly can eat up the road much faster than I can. I'm surprised you had time to take any pictures.

Rich

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey RedRider2,
It was nice meeting with you in Iowa. We just made it home last night. After we left you we pushed on to North Platte Nebraska. The next morning we visited Buffalo Bills ranch then drove through Denver and stopped at Buffalo Bills burial site atop Lookout Mountain. We didn't plan it that way but we couldn't pass up the opportunity after we saw the sign marking his grave. Got back on the road at 8pm as they closed the gates to the park behind us. By this time it was getting dark and at almost every turn there was a group of deer or elk. I called it a night in Vail as I didn't want an up close and personal with one of the areas wildlife.
Beautiful waking up in Vail! Riding through that part of Colorado should only be done during the day. If Vail wasn't enough Glenwood Springs was just around the corner to give us another scenic wonder.
I planned it so that we would be in Vegas after the sun was down. Even at that the temperature peaked at 106.
Glad to hear you made it home. You certainly can eat up the road much faster than I can. I'm surprised you had time to take any pictures.

Rich
Rich , nice to meet you , the miles just flew by I guess I was just homesick as I was given orders when I left home she only gave so much time . I hope I didn't spend too much of your money by talking about Yosemite and the armrests. Glad you got home safe. That was my first long distant trip on a bike. Again nice talking with you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts