GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice on weather from you guys in the area of Yosimite. I have never been there in April and would like to know what to expect in the way of weather. Thanks for any input

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Hwy. 120 going over Tioga Pass to Lee Vining on Hwy. 395 will be closed in April. It usually opens up in late May or later depending on how much snow the Sierras get. The weather in Yosemite can be great in April, but if a storm comes in it can turn ugly. Rain gear and warm clothing should be on hand. I was caught in a snow storm on Memorial Day weekend once.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I need some advice on weather from you guys in the area of Yosimite. I have never been there in April and would like to know what to expect in the way of weather. Thanks for any input
I've gone to Yosemite every April for years and years and it's always been a perfect time to go visit the valley. Tioga Pass (Hwy 120) is usually not going to be open all that often unless the snow fall level is poor for the year, but Yosemite Valley is at it's peak in beauty since the water falls are going gang busters with the melt that is going on then.

Enjoy your visit,

DaleC

You can see what Yosemite looks like today by going to their virtual cam site and clicking on any of their live cams:

http://www.yosemite.org/vryos/

·
Registered
162 Posts
On your way to Yosemite, stop and check out Kings Canyon and Sequoia natl. Parks. A lot less traffic, and some beatiful views. I live 90 minutes from Yosemite, and prefer to ride Kings Canyon.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Should be nice, but you never know. Watch the weather reports. Can also get pretty cool during the nights.

Dale if ur there this year and if its during one of the weekdays let me know. I may run over there and buy ya a cup of joe.

Are you going to San Simeon May 2nd-3rd? Don't think I remember you replying on the Ca post about it.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Should be nice, but you never know. Watch the weather reports. Can also get pretty cool during the nights.

Dale if ur there this year and if its during one of the weekdays let me know. I may run over there and buy ya a cup of joe.

Are you going to San Simeon May 2nd-3rd? Don't think I remember you replying on the Ca post about it.
Thanks for the offer for the cup of joe, I'll keep you posted if I am headed up there. Don't know as yet if I'll be down to San Simeon then as I might have some MSF classes then to coach. If I can, I'll try as that is always a great ride down Hwy 1 plus there are some favorite roads inland like Nacimiento - Ferguson Road, Peachtree Road, Hwy 58, Hwy 25 etc. etc. etc....

Ride safe,

DaleC

P.S. Agree on the great roads and sites at and around Sequioia NP / King's Canyon and the other outlying area. They are really hidden and bypassed gems to most travelers who come an visit here. Well, actually we have hundreds of them, but we'll keep them quiet for now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts