GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ride a 2017 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special. I have owned it since September 2017. I have been very pleased with it and enjoy it immensely. That is, until I test rode a used 2018 Goldwing yesterday. It was the loaded version, save for the airbag option. I took it on a long ride, including highway travel.

Three things stood out to me:

1. Automatic transmission: At first, I kept grabbing for a non-existent clutch lever. It was unsettling. Two minutes later, I had it down pat. No, it is not sacrilegious to have automatic transmission on a bike. It's amazing and totally effortless.

2. The engine and suspension: It couldn't have been smoother. I'm doing 75 mph, and the mirrors are crystal clear-no vibration. Remember the Lincoln car commercial from the 70s where a jeweler was cutting a diamond in the back seat? That describes the ride on this bike.

3. Electronic windshield. I'm six feet. With a flick of a switch, I raised the windshield to its highest position while on the highway. Leaving the highway, I lower it several inches for more airflow. Wow.

So, I returned to the dealership where everyone was marveling at my SGS. But alas, they only offered me $15K for it against the $23K Goldwing. It was not meant to be. If I hadn't taken that test ride, I wouldn't have known how smooth a motorcycle can ride. On top of that, being able to adjust the height of the windshield in real time is an incredible luxury. I have faced the harsh reality in recreational pleasure: you can't always get what you want.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was in love with my 2013 FLHTK but ONE test ride on my ‘18 Wing was all that it took. The engine, transmission and riding dynamics of the modern Harley Davidson is unfortunately stuck in the mid-70’s. No amount of pretty, multi-layered chrome and paint can hide the fact that Harley Davidson’s even for the 2020 model year are dinosaurs.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Just joining here is an indication that you are still thinking about the Wing.

As you probably know, dealer trade in offers are rarely a positive experience for us. Used Harleys generally sell well so you may want to put a few advertisements out there. Maybe you can get what you want for the HD and shop around for a new Goldwing. The 2020s will be here soon so there will be some deals to be had.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I ride a 2017 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special. I have owned it since September 2017. I have been very pleased with it and enjoy it immensely. That is, until I test rode a used 2018 Goldwing yesterday. It was the loaded, save for the airbag option. I took it on a long ride, including highway travel.

Three things stood out to me:

1. Automatic transmission: At first, I kept grabbing for a non-existent clutch lever. It was unsettling. Two minutes later, I had it down pat. No, it is not sacrilegious to have automatic transmission on a bike. It's amazing and totally effortless. You can paddle shift with two fingers on your left hand if you choose to.

2. The engine and suspension: It couldn't have been smoother. I'm doing 75 mph, and the mirrors are crystal clear-no vibration. Remember the Lincoln car commercial from the 70s where a jeweler was cutting a diamond in the back seat? That describes the ride on tis bike.

3. Electronic windshield. I'm six feet. With a flick of a switch, I raised the windshield to its highest position while on the highway. Leaving the highway, I lower it several inches for more airflow. Wow.

So, I returned to the dealership where everyone was marveling at my SGS. But alas, they only offered me $15K for it against the $23K Goldwing. It was not meant to be. If I hadn't taken that test ride, I wouldn't have known how smooth a motorcycle can ride. On top of that, being able to adjust the height of the windshield in real time is an incredible luxury. I have faced the harsh reality in recreational pleasure: you can't always get what you want.
Try selling the bike yourself.....
You'll get way more than trading it at a dealer.

Get what your heart, body, and mind desires.....
With a little thinner wallet it will be more comfortable riding anyways! :thumbup:

·
Registered
200 Posts
my 2017 streetglide didn't stand a chance once the new wing came out. I saw it and felt this was Hondas version of the streetglide and I liked it. Didn't need a test ride and dealer made a good offer on trade in and it was mine.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Agree with post that said you could find an 18 GW for less than $20K now. I own an older HD Road King in addition to an Indian and a 18 GW....trying to ride that HD after the GW makes the HD feel like driving a “Gravel Truck”! If you really want a GW, don't accept dealer offers at face value, make offers yourself, tell them what you will offer or like someone else says, sell the HD yourself first.

Negotiate and horse trade everything...you will be able to make a decent deal somewhere I feel certain.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I was in love with my 2013 FLHTK but ONE test ride on my ‘18 Wing was all that it took. The engine, transmission and riding dynamics of the modern Harley Davidson is unfortunately stuck in the mid-70’s. No amount of pretty, multi-layered chrome and paint can hide the fact that Harley Davidson’s even for the 2020 model year are dinosaurs.
This may be old news for all the Harley aficionados, but my wife and I toured the Harley Powertrain factory in Milwaukee a couple weeks ago. Most of what they produce may be old technology, but I was impressed with the honest pride they took in building their machines.

The guide pointed out a NEW motor that they couldn't talk about, set up in one of the cages in the back (no photos allowed). It was definitely a water cooled V-twin, no cooling fins. It struck me that the delima Harley has, is how to modernize their technology without alienating their current customer base.

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
When wife and I toured Alaska (we fly there/and then rented a Harley,)her honest opinion was to me NEVER SELL MY GOLDWING......I have to agree, everytime I ride a Harley, it only makes my 2010 wing sooooooooooooooooo much better'rrrrr.................Smooth'rrrr..........................quiet'rrrrrr.......................and more reliable'rrrrrr.... Nope!!! Goldwing's foreve'rrrr for me.....

Ronnie

·
Registered
930 Posts
When I bought my 2018 Goldwing, I traded in my 2005 Goldwing but the dealer didn't even want my 2014 Ultra Limited. I sold it in Cycle Trader.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
This may be old news for all the Harley aficionados, but my wife and I toured the Harley Powertrain factory in Milwaukee a couple weeks ago. Most of what they produce may be old technology, but I was impressed with the honest pride they took in building their machines.

The guide pointed out a NEW motor that they couldn't talk about, set up in one of the cages in the back (no photos allowed). It was definitely a water cooled V-twin, no cooling fins. It struck me that the delima Harley has, is how to modernize their technology without alienating their current customer base.
Thats exactly right! Their base doesnt want a water cooled V twin, and they want the look and feel of yesteryear. Honda cant match the visceral feel of a Harley, when it comes to around town cruising. The shake, the rumble, the sound and "lop"of that V twin. Unfortunately, that same visceral feeling is tiring on long distance trips.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Been there, done that

Thats exactly right! Their base doesnt want a water cooled V twin, and they want the look and feel of yesteryear. Honda cant match the visceral feel of a Harley, when it comes to around town cruising. The shake, the rumble, the sound and "lop"of that V twin. Unfortunately, that same visceral feeling is tiring on long distance trips.

I had a Harley years ago, but it became a maintenance nightmare. My solution was a water-cooled Kawasaki V-Twin. It was a step up in technology and maintenance, but the heat coming off the Vulcan would roast your chestnuts!

Took my wife's Honda cage in for maintenance and visited the dealerships Powersport division on the adjoining lot. Fortunately or unfortunately, I test drove a 2015 40th Anniversary Edition. When my wife asked me if I was done playing, I took her for a test ride. Took the cage home, returned on the Vulcan, and the return trip home was on the Goldwing.

While I may think about a Harley again ask a around town cruiser if water-cooled, but not for $30,000+. Would never consider a Harley for a long-distance trip. But it is nice to see Harley taking steps to attract younger riders, as like the Honda Goldwing, their current core clientele may be gone in another decade. :nerd:

Reactions: Drgsin

·
Registered
376 Posts
... It struck me that the delima Harley has, is how to modernize their technology without alienating their current customer base.
If Harley keeps going, they won't have to worry about alienating a current customer base. Their customer base is shrinking quickly, because [fill in the blank with your favorite theory on why their sales are falling so fast].

1 - 20 of 64 Posts