GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, OBASTer's top this.
I am coming back into NYC on the west side highway WITH She Who Must Be Obeyed making an extremely - and I do mean extremely - rare guest star appearance as co-rider after a 300 mile day ride upstate.

Traffic is bumper to bumper, moving one car length at a time, 8 lanes - 4 each way, this is right around where the Intrepid is docked. The city is shooting off a fire works display right there so the traffic is 100% full and moves about one car lenght or a half of a car lenght at a time. The side walks are full, thousands and thousands of gawkers watching the fireworks.

Your OBAST represenative FRISKY is taking care of business - moving v-e-r-y slowly with traffic and Cora is looking at the fireworks. It starts to rain. It didn't take much at all for the streets to get wet and there was no where we could go except stay in the middle of the jam.

We move one car length into what would normally be a cross walk but was closed to pedestrian traffic. I ease into the crosswalk and stop. I put my left foot down and a little weight transfers onto that leg - just like normal.........and the shiny white paint of the crosswalk stripes is slippery, very slippery and you can guess the rest. My left foot starts to slide, and the bike tips just a little more and my left foot slips just a little more and pretty quicky we are at the point of no return (happens a little faster when you have a co-rider on board) and it very gently lays down.

Cora stays on just as she should and then we extract ourselves, She rolls off tangled up in intercom cables etc. No one is hurt because we were dead stopped and we both always wear full protective gear, boots, gloves motoport kevlar for me and Aerostich one piece for her, but I heard a few screams from the folks on the side. So now we have this yellow whale on it's side in front of at least 5,000 people probably more. Traffic in my lane and the two lanes on either side ain't going anywhere - dead stopped. And it;s raining and I am looking around for where I can get a grip on the pavement to try to walk it back up - which is no where to be found.

No body is getting out of their cars because they don't want to get wet. I suppose I could have asked someone in one of the many cars full of people to jump out and help me get it right side up, but at that point... even your OBAST representative was speechless. Right about that time 3 big guys start to come across the cross walk that was closed but because I had made such a mess of things they viewed it as an opportunity to try to cross - because now 4 lanes of traffic was stopped. They asked it they could help. The 5 of us stood there for a few seconds blocking what was now 4 lanes of traffic dead stop, nothing was moving because those who were not blocked were just looking with their mouths open ....including..... the cars in the other 4 lanes of traffic going the other way because they thought they saw a big MC accident. And as I have said on other occasions, people in New York City don't see too many goldwings and most think a yellow wing is a version of a small catapillar tractor or a special taxi.

About that time Three NYC cops on foot wade through traffic to come and check us out. Now there are 8 of us standing in 4 lanes of dead stopped traffic with the other 4 lanes not moving. "Every body ok?", "yes thank you". I wear a special NYPD pin which few notice but LEO's of any persuasion ALWAYS do (it is very difficult to get a ticket with one of these pins - I call it my "get out of jail free" pin. They see my pin. I get "The Big Hello", "What can we do to help?" "Grab anything solid and we will all lift it up and you guys just hold the bike upright and steady while I get on and get it started (it was exceptionall slippery), so now you have 7 big guys surrounding FRISKY and we pick it up and now 6 are holding it up, with your represenative getting on and attempting to get things restarted and Cora standing there in the middle of the highway. And it doesn't want to start.

I crank it for a few seconds and realize I need to recycle the electrical system, which I do. But it still doesn't want to start. About this time a certified fool directly in back of the 8 of us makes the very big mistake of honking his horn. The cops look at each other and go nuts. They go up on both sides of the guy and I hear one say to the passenger "I guess maybe you want to get out and help because why else would you honk" another says "Are You Nuts", to the driver. No more honking from anyone remotely near us but in back of us there was a huge amount of honking going on because they did not understand the reason for the blockage.

About that time FRISKY lights up and they all walk me over to side the crosswalk entrance to put ourselves back together. "Thank you's" all around, and about 100 people who were on an elevated pedestrian watching the fireworks but had turned to watch the FRISKY show, applauded and cheered. Cora and I get get configured, FRISKY is running like the champ that it is, Cora mounts up, hooks up. Although traffic has once again started moving, the cops turn to me and say "Ready?" I nod and they walk out into the lanes and stop traffic and we pull back into the lines of traffic and merge and act like nothing happened.

The best part.............Cora did not say, and has not said.... one word to me about this. NADA. That is pretty damn good for the very occasional rider and the rather - no - entirely unique circumstances of the event.
As I said: "You Can't Make This Up".

Your OBAST regional representative in New York City. Do I get an OBAST # for this?? If anyone can top this one, I am sure we would all like to hear it.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
You've done us ALL proud! :beer3:

It's nice to see that you remember rule #1
OBAST Law #1

The chances of dropping a Gold Wing increase arithmetically with the number of people who are around to see it happen. They increase geometrically if your Significant Other is aboard.
--Jim B. OBAST #32
With THAT many people watching...

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Frisky,

If you are going to be a fool, why not do it in front of the World.....LOL

Glad that everyone is OK and especially Cora having the forethought to leave it alone.

Good on ya Pal. Hope that this does not dampen, either of your Spirits.

Oh to a have a film of this event...LOL

Bulldog

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I think I'm up on most of the acronyms we have mad up on this board LIMNCS etc. but what is OBAST?

I gotta think its.
Official
B?
A?
S?
Tester

Please fill in the blanks.
BTW glad everything worked out.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Official
Bank
Angle
System?
Tester

·
Registered
182 Posts
another drop

At a rally light show a few years ago, a contestant rode a well lit wing up in front of the judges podium, stopped and it fell right over. there it laid with all of it's lights shining brightly in front of the judges, 5000 people, and God. Now that would be the real ego killer. NO, it was'nt me. diesel

·
Registered
552 Posts
Nothing like having an audience eh? Glad things worked out okay. :yes1:

Just a side note... you should really consider a bike with ABS. If you had ABS chances are this would have never happened. ABS is a livesaver and has prevented many accidents and booboos. I don't think I know anybody that has laid their bike over that has ABS. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
YOU's Go Guys! For they call dirt roads in the south"Mud Roads". Say Thanks for Security in NY! The do "Serve to Protect"! Amen to all in NY for what they do.

·
Registered
366 Posts
azblackbird,
If you had ABS chances are this would have never happened. ABS is a livesaver and has prevented many accidents and booboos.
ABS would have prevented his foot from slipping...? Don't think so -- but thanks for trying...!

I don't think I know anybody that has laid their bike over that has ABS.
Well, you don't know me, but YEP, on my '01 GL1800A -- and just like Frisky --at a dead stop with the wet, painted roadway...!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
GL1800GSXR1000 said:
I think I'm up on most of the acronyms we have mad up on this board LIMNCS etc. but what is OBAST?
Official Bank Angle Sensor Testers. I think it was Iron Butt Ken that inspired the acronym when instead of admitting that he'd drop his wing, he stated that he was only testing the Bank Angle Sensor (it shuts off the engine when the bike falls over.)

You can find out more at the Official Bank Angle Sensor Tester's website.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Great, GREAT story! Well written. I felt like I was there with you. I've had my own OBAST moment with a crowd watching, but didn't get the city's finest helping me out like you did. And yup, its special when SWAMBO keeps her thoughts to herself.

And Az... I get your sarcasm. But I think more importantly, if he had Traxxion suspensions systems front and rear with a car tire on the back he would not have experienced this event. :wink:

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I don't care what anyone says about NYC, the NYC cops are the absolutly best cops on the planet.

I have been to the Concrete Canyon Run (which we will not be able to attend this year) and have met Frisky ~~ a real gentleman ~~~

Don't feel to bad Frisky, the only time my bike falls over is when there is at least 20 people around. :oops:

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
e98x09 said:
azblackbird,
ABS would have prevented his foot from slipping...? Don't think so -- but thanks for trying...!

C'mon now, you've obviously never had ABS (Antislip Boot Soles) now have you?

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Frisky, I happen to KNOW that wasn't the first time you've tested that bank-angle sensor. Seems I recall a turn into sand up at Lake George a few years ago when you were still a pretty inexperience rider. My, how far you've come. Now you dump your pride and joy in front of not a dozen other, sympathetic riders, but in front of 5000 not-so sympathetic Big Apple folks. What WILL you think of next?

Glad you could relate this all in good humor. Just another reminder of the snot-slick conditions that occur when it first starts raining - especially if you've had a little dry spell like we've had here in Texas.

More than anything, though, I'm glad that SWMBO (do we pronouce that "swimbo"?) did not get on your case. Perhaps she saw something in you that made her proud of the way you handled the situation. OR, she is so embarassed about the situation, she refuses to discuss it. Let's hope it's the former and not that latter.

Still my buddy from New York?

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
ABS would have stopped this? Oh man, you are killing me...........!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Frisky, I'm laughing so hard I have tears in my eyes. Not laughing at you, mind you, because it's only by the grace of God it wasn't me. I thought I was the only one that could pull off something like that. You, sir, should be a professional writer. A well written, easily followed piece of work, there. Good job!

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I have thatl beat. Although I am not as decriptive a writer as Frisky, I will do my best. My problem was I couldn't touch the ground with my 1981 GL1100 except on the very tips of my toes and it went over several times. My 1800 has been over only twice.

But my most embarrassing story with my 1100 comes from bike week about 7 or 8 years ago. During Daytona’s bike week I had pulled up to the Broken Spoke bar and stopped on the apron at the entrance. There was about a couple thousand people in the near vicinity. While waiting for some friends, two girls with rock hard bodies walked by wearing nothing but shorts and body paint. As I rubbernecked while they walked behind me, I lost my balance and over I went. Luckily a couple drunks had the bike picked up before I knew what happened.

Not my most shining moment. :D :oops:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts