GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Administrator
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my rear drive fail on my Goldwing with 119,000 miles. I have the extended warranty. My bike is presently in the shop, and I do expect that they will repair it under warranty, but the Service manager told me that they would have to contact Honda because they've never had a rear drive failure.

I told him that is because they don't have anybody but me put on the kind of miles I ride. I told him that the Goldwing rear drives and alternators are known failure points on high-mileage bikes. Like I said, I fully expect that they will repair it under warranty, but I'd like to be able to back-up my claim that final drive failures are not uncommon.

How many of you have had a Goldwing GL1800 final drive fail, and at what mileage?

Thanks,
Glen

·
Registered
546 Posts
I just had my rear drive fail on my Goldwing with 119,000 miles. I have the extended warranty. My bike is presently in the shop, and I do expect that they will repair it under warranty, but the Service manager told me that they would have to contact Honda because they've never had a rear drive failure.

I told him that is because they don't have anybody but me put on the kind of miles I ride. I told him that the Goldwing rear drives and alternators are known failure points on high-mileage bikes. Like I said, I fully expect that they will repair it under warranty, and that they are just stalling and making excuses right now. However, I'd like to be able to back-up my claim that final drive failures are not uncommon.

How many of you have had a Goldwing GL1800 final drive fail, and at what mileage?

Thanks,
Glen
My understanding is that this is a design feature of BMWs; and at much lower mileages! :lol:

Ask me how I know :frown:

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had a drive shaft [U-joint] go out on me in July while in South Dakota. Rice honda took care of me. They had a shaft left from building a trike. They also told me my rear diff. was going bad. Sure enough, the rear gave out in Kentucky. I found another dealer that built trikes and they took care of me with a left over rear diff. At this time I have over 121,000. miles on my bike. At the breakdown times I had around 115,000 miles.:22yikes:
All is well now.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Had on go out at about 90,000. Not a big deal. I had an extra off of a 2006 on the shelf.:cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
939 Posts
83K, replaced with a trike takeoff, 1 hour and a half by Trekbiker61 from this board and friend.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Reason I went to the Wing from my R1200RT (well, one of the reasons, anyway) was concern about the BMW FD after blowing a seal at 24,000 miles. I guess anything put together can fall apart. I might make a trip over to Houston and try to pick up a cheap one off a trike conversion........

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
02 with 80,000 went out and replaced with trike takeoff unit.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Never had one fail ?? That tells me yours must be defective...........

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Mine went out at 89,600 April 08 JBJ Cycles took care of it.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Replaced at 92K with a 2010 1 mile Trike Conversion Bike pull.

If you have any say I would rather have a NEW trike pull or a new assembly than a field repair of the old unit....Warranty or not.

The only difference in the new ones verses the old ones is you have to tap the treads for the hose holder on the side boss on the new ones, takes about 2 to 5 mins.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I had one shell out on a 04 wing at 40k miles. And know of about a dozen or more others. On my 04 it was giving up right out of the crate, first Final Drive Oil change I started noticing metal. Jokerguy on here lost one up in Eureka, his blew the seal out which is about 50/50 indicitive of them going bad, while others just chew themselves up and never leak a drop like mine did. And I might add, that I have enough concern about them that I keep a couple on the shelf to have on hand to help others or use in mine!
Rick
my 04 did the exact same thing, right out of the box I started to notice metal dust on the drain plug.
bought a final drive on ebay for $100, + 3 hrs labor & all is well...

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
My 2006 is still good at 87,000 miles, but my friends started leaking around 100,000, his alternator also stopped alternating about the same time. He did not have extended warranty and went the trike take off option.

If I were you I would not let the dealership install a new one until they get a ruling on the warranty. You dont want to get stuck paying for a new one when you can get the trike take off so cheap.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Car dealerships or bike dealers, it doesn't seem to matter.

Does it seem strange that every dealership has the same response no matter what fails? It seems that the answer is always the same:
"No, we've never seen that fail before".

Not only is that obviously false every time they've said it (except the first time, which would have been during the first month they were in business), but what purpose does it serve to tell us these lies?

I suppose Honda has been teaching them to say this, but to what end? Would telling the truth really be that bad?

'scuse me while I put this soapbox away.
We now continue with your regularly scheduled programming

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
There are probably a few reasons why most dealerships haven't seen a final drive failure, including warranty coverage, the mileage most riders cover and most importantly the fact that a final drive failure is an inexpensive, easy DIY fix that simply doesn't require a visit to the dealer. Hence, dealers see very few if any final drive failures. It doesn't mean there aren't failures, is simply means the repairs aren't made by the dealer or with his knowledge.

If on the other hand, a final drive failure <required> a visit to the dealer to fix, dealers would obviously have seen more of them.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts