GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
40,000 miles is too much!

At least I changed it myself. Not as bad of a procedure as I thought.

Will certainly do it more frequently now. Bike runs MUCH better!

Ready for Spring! Let's Ride!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Did you change the filter because the bike was not running well or just because it was beyond the recommended time for a change?

·
Vendor
16,059 Posts
40,000 miles is too much!
Be sure to check your spark plugs. They should be white in color ... most likely yours are not. Unfortunately running an engine with dirty air filters, guarantees earlier than normal oil usage.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I changed mine on my 2013 at 40,000 too. My bike ran perfect before and after. I couldn’t tell a difference in performance or gas mileage. My bike alway got excellent gas mileage.... low to mid 40’s. My flter looked about the same.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just because I knew I was way past due.

Last summer I had 23,000 miles on it and embarked on a cross country trip of 13,000 miles. I just didn't think that it needed to be changed at 23,000, based on other reports of going longer, so I did the trip.

The lesson was, it was not as bad to do as I thought. I have a 2015 Anniversary Edition, and in my opinion, they improved the procedure over the previous generation. The shelter comes off in two pieces and the connector under the key switch is much easier to disconnect.

So - don't go as long as I did!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Be sure to check your spark plugs. They should be white in color ... most likely yours are not. Unfortunately running an engine with dirty air filters, guarantees earlier than normal oil usage.
Greg: I did the plugs at 20,000 miles and again yesterday (every 20K) They looked good.

Now - I want to change the fork oil. That will be the next adventure!

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
IMG_0863.JPG

This was my air filter at 55,000 miles..............2nd change

Ronnie

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Where all those other M&M type things in the filter too?
Yep what you see, is what I received when I opened her up...{surprise}....Where all the M&M's came from is beyond me....(???) My garage is clean, (I have never seen any signs of mice) I'm pretty sure that my wife doesn't keep bags of M&M's hidden in the garage (LOL) and I live in an area where there are very few if any kids around.....Glad I decided to change out that filter when I did...

My bike is now all set for this season's rides..................... New air filter, new antifreeze (Honda 50/50 mixture) replaced, new brakes, new spark plugs, new battery in key fob, fully charged battery in bike, and of course new oil/and filter.....and all washed and waxed.....BRING ON THE SPRING TIME WEATHER! 55* deg's or hotter............

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Yep what you see, is what I received when I opened her up...{surprise}....Where all the M&M's came from is beyond me....(???) My garage is clean, (I have never seen any signs of mice) I'm pretty sure that my wife doesn't keep bags of M&M's hidden in the garage (LOL) and I live in an area where there are very few if any kids around.....Glad I decided to change out that filter when I did...

My bike is now all set for this season's rides..................... New air filter, new antifreeze (Honda 50/50 mixture) replaced, new brakes, new spark plugs, new battery in key fob, fully charged battery in bike, and of course new oil/and filter.....and all washed and waxed.....BRING ON THE SPRING TIME WEATHER! 55* deg's or hotter............

Ronnie
Was your bike purchased new? Maybe previous owner? If not you parked some place over night has to be an explanation for the MM hoarder... 😂

·
Registered
837 Posts

Ronnie
Ronnie, don't be so quick to say that mice aren't the culprits. A few years ago my wife moved a chair in our bedroom to make room for another piece of furniture. When she moved it, there was a "pile" of Hersheys Miniature Chocolate wrappers on the floor underneath the chair. LOL!! WE couldn't believe it!

Since then we've brought in 3 cats from the street as our pets. WE haven't seen a mouse since that time. LOL. I kid you not. BUt one day I was out in the garage and our little female cat came boundimg up the driveway with a SNAKE in her mouth! Scared the devil out of me. I grabbed the snake by the tail and pulled it out of her mouth and threw it as far as I could. I still don't know how that snake didn't bite her.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Brand new bike purchased in 2011 from a Honda dealer..............

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Ronnie, don't be so quick to say that mice aren't the culprits. A few years ago my wife moved a chair in our bedroom to make room for another piece of furniture. When she moved it, there was a "pile" of Hersheys Miniature Chocolate wrappers on the floor underneath the chair. LOL!! WE couldn't believe it!

Since then we've brought in 3 cats from the street as our pets. WE haven't seen a mouse since that time. LOL. I kid you not. BUt one day I was out in the garage and our little female cat came boundimg up the driveway with a SNAKE in her mouth! Scared the devil out of me. I grabbed the snake by the tail and pulled it out of her mouth and threw it as far as I could. I still don't know how that snake didn't bite her.
We do have two (2) cats in our home.... BUT they are "both" indoor cats , so they never been outside......unfortunately I now live on a very busy street... When I purchased my home back in 1985, this street was very quiet, area that was surrounded with woods, well since I purchased this property, 100's of new homes were built as well as a full sized Walmart maybe two football fields away from my home..So now I live on a cut thru, with many, many cars a day passing by my home...😭😭

Ronnie
It's now been paid for in full, years ago and I'm retired, so I don't want another mortgage, so moving is out of the question....

·
Registered
837 Posts
We do have two (2) cats in our home.... BUT they are "both" indoor cats , so they never been outside......unfortunately I now live on a very busy street... When I purchased my home back in 1985, this street was very quiet, area that was surrounded with woods, well since I purchased this property, 100's of new homes were built as well as a full sized Walmart maybe two football fields away from my home..So now I live on a cut thru, with many, many cars a day passing by my home...😭😭

Ronnie
It's now been paid for in full, years ago and I'm retired, so I don't want another mortgage, so moving is out of the question....
I purchased my home in 1983, and my street was quiet too. I am in a Golf Course community, but we were so far out of town at that time we didn't have any traffic lights anywhere near us. And my house is 7 houses in from a cut thru also, so I know about the traffic issue you have.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
I purchased my home in 1983, and my street was quiet too. I am in a Golf Course community, but we were so far out of town at that time we didn't have any traffic lights anywhere near us. And my house is 7 houses in from a cut thru also, so I know about the traffic issue you have.
Since I moved here (1985) I went from approx 4 to 5 cars a day passing my home (only the folks that actually lived on the street) to without any exaggeration over a couple of hundred of car a day (or more) they built many more roads here , plus built 100 more homes, plus a Walmart (again two football fields away from my front door), and then to make matters even worse, they then connected my road to a main highway, (cut thru) so now I have all that traffic .. YES! it sucks, what can I do?????????????

Ronnie

·
Registered
837 Posts
Since I moved here (1985) I went from approx 4 to 5 cars a day passing my home (only the folks that actually lived on the street) to without any exaggeration over a couple of hundred of car a day (or more) they built many more roads here , plus built 100 more homes, plus a Walmart (again two football fields away from my front door), and then to make matters even worse, they then connected my road to a main highway, (cut thru) so now I have all that traffic .. YES! it sucks, what can I do?????????????

Ronnie
Well at least a Home Depot was built right across from the Harris Teeter Store ( Charlotte based Grocery Chain). So now I can buy my groceries and get my tools and garden supplies in one trip! No kissing, BOTH are less than 1 mile from my driveway. So life ain't all bad. lol.

·
Registered
363 Posts

Ronnie
NOT asking for your address........can you tell us me what STATE you're in ?? Just curious. I can see your living situation being mine down the road. I live in SC.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
NOT asking for your address........can you tell us me what STATE you're in ?? Just curious. I can see your living situation being mine down the road. I live in SC.
Springfield, Massachusetts
(If in the area stop in and have a beer with me)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts