GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a flat in my Pirelli rf today 240 miles from home on a sunday no doubt. Had several nice bikers (all but one brand) stop to check if I needed anything. Thanks for that, it was nice. But the small 5" nail I pulled out proved to be a bitch to plug. 5 plugs later it still would not hold air. So what is one to do. Well what I did was told the wife to mount up we are headed home. So 240 miles later two up pulling a trailer we made it back. You can bet your azz I will have another rf by the end of the week.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Glad you made it home safe. Just curious, what speed did you run getting home and slab or back road?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome story FunOne! Glad you made in home safe. 240 miles, that is inpressive, to say the least. :bow:
Thanks, seamed every bump the uni-go would drag bottom. Made the wife get off to get in the drive way. After the first gas stop I checked the temp of the tire. It was hot but not too hot that I could not keep my hand on it. I did keep the speeds down just incase of a blowout. But it came through just fine. It has about 10k on the tire, still looks pretty good, but I will replace it all the same.
p.s. she was not all to keen on riding on a flat tire. She is a believer now.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Glad you made it safe home nice story for the non believers

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad you made it safe home nice story for the non believers
Thanks the wifes daughter offered to bring a trailer. NOT so she of course was worried. And her son saw the tire when we pulled in. All he said was holly s#$t

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To top it al off blew a left fork seal saturday too. Now I get to learn how to rebuild the forks.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Great story Funeone and glad it had a happy ending. You can't ask for more than that from a tire.:thumbup:

Plugging them is difficult. I had a he!! of a time plugging one of my Kumhos...thought I'd never get the awl through the steel belts.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice time to upgrade forks.
You got it. Progressive or race tech springs? All balls bearings. So much to think about. Of course new brake pads too. The do not like oil

·
DSI Keeper
9,183 Posts
I think you had a great weekend. You and your bride are home safe. No hassels of towing or roadside assists. Next time your steed rolls out of the garage, it will be faster, stronger, er wait, that was the bionic man, never mind....

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think you had a great weekend. You and your bride are home safe. No hassels of towing or roadside assists. Next time your steed rolls out of the garage, it will be faster, stronger, er wait, that was the bionic man, never mind....
Faster? She was not happy at 115mph Saturday. The wife that is

·
Registered
171 Posts
Glad you made it home, funone.
Remember--life never throws more at you than you can handle.
Keep telling yourself that...over and over...
OB

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Glad you made it home, funone.
Remember--life never throws more at you than you can handle.
Keep telling yourself that...over and over...
OB
So true. I say live everyday like it your last. Just have fun and make the best of any situation.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Glad you made it home safe!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
This is not meant to be a smart A$$ question, being as it was a RF how did you know it was flat? :shrug::shrug:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is not meant to be a smart A$$ question, being as it was a RF how did you know it was flat? :shrug::shrug:
Not a smartazz question. The tpms was warning of no air. I would plug it air it up and 5 miles down the road it was warning me again. And you could see it just sitting in the parking lot it was flat. Now riding it home I shut the tpms off, got tired of hearing it. The trailer wobbled a little more than usual. The wife noticed it bounced a bit more and the trailer dragged real bad over a good bump, or pulling into a gas station. Took any corners slow enough not to roll the bead.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts