GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchase a hiviz Motoport / Cycleport riding suit.

I went with hi-viz because I ride rain or shine in the San Francisco Bay area which has pretty bad traffic, and I wanted to increase my visibility.

I really did not expect to see much difference from wearing the gear, except for maybe jokes or giggles from people, but I really have noticed a difference.

The Goldwing is a pretty inviting bike, so I often have strangers talk to me, but it has been multiplied by 2 or even 3, the number of people that will chat me up now. Ironically, noone has commented on the color.

Another extremely welcome bonus of the suit is that cages are not following me as close. Where I would often have people come right up on my bumper, now everyone seems to be keeping a longer distance from me.

An absolute shocker was on my last visit to San Francisco. There, the pedestrian rules, and usually they won't even look as they cross the street and they tend to walk at a normal pace, rather than trying to clear the road quickly. This trip, on several occasions while turning, I had pedestrian wave me through before crossing the road behind me. I was absolutely floored by this. I have NEVER had this happen before! I can only assume that they thought I was an official of some sort. I sure won't complain.

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
Everyone must think you are some sort of safety Worker?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I had pedestrian wave me through before crossing the road behind me. I was absolutely floored by this. I have NEVER had this happen before! I can only assume that they thought I was an official of some sort. I sure won't complain.
Hehehe...They think you are a Motor-Cop. I love it! Add modulating headlights and brake lights and you will be set.

My wife and I spent a week in San Francisco last year. What a neat city and the shoreline along Marin County is really nice too. Too bad there are so many kooks around there.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's wrong with kooks? Were you attacked or something? Besides, without them how would you know you're OK?;)
Yeah, at least our kooks are out in the open where we know what they are up to.

·
Registered
253 Posts
+1 on the Hiviz stuff. I have the jacket(s), coupled with the Headlight modulator folks pull off the road for you.:shock:

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
i used a hi viz vest over my old jacket for a while and noticed that people actually looked more at me. I thought that this was a good thing so I found a FieldSheer mesh Hi Viz and since i started wearing it I have had plenty of cages stop instead of pulling out of side streets like the use to do. The Motor officers around here wear similar style jackets and I think drivers are thinking I might be one so the stop and look longer before barging out into the hi-way.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Everyone, take a look at FazerDude's enlarged thumbnail picture. Is that not the spitting image of Elton John in one of his concert dress suits???

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
I'd get a suit like that in a heartbeat, if I could just talk myself into it. I've done a lot of other stuff to make me visible.

Like a bright Yellow helmet. I read somewhere and I believe that bright colors up high make me are more easily seen.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I have the Hi-Viz Motoport jacket with black Pants.I get very similar reactions in traffic. I have seen more then one front end dive as they started to pull out and then saw me. I have also had cars pull up close on the 4 lane and then back off because they were not sure. Hi-Viz is the only way to go as far as I am concerned.

Take a chance Trialsman, you might like it.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Everyone, take a look at FazerDude's enlarged thumbnail picture. Is that not the spitting image of Elton John in one of his concert dress suits???

That's exactly what I thought!!!!!!!!1

ROCKET MAN in yellow!!

ki-speed (mark)

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
HiViz

did someone say "Power Ranger"
I get lots of comments on my suit and helmet, and they are most all positive.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
You mean that isn't Elton John? And here I was gonna run right out and buy a HiViz suit to match. I am soooo diasppointed.:joke:

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
How close to cherynobal were you?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Elton John in one of his Hi-Viz suits.........

And Wayne in his.....

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I've had a lot of positive comments about my Hi-Viz clothes from cagers. On the flip side, I had a nimrod pull out in front of me today. Some see me, some don't. I take no chances and figure they're ALL out to get me.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I get the Elton thing a lot. Sure wish I had his musical talent, but I believe I'm still a lot happier than him. I'll take the happiness...

I LOVE that helmet. I have the exact same one in silver. I'd of gotten high-viz if they had it then. Will probably wind up getting one anyway. I do have a HALO band on mine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
TopGun

Those two pics just cracked me up. My wife was asking ten minutes after why I was still laughing all by myself.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts

I can't look at your picture for more than five seconds.
I have to look away out of fear you'll shoot me with your Lazer Blaster for staring at you..

BTW:
I like the combination of suit and helmet..If that doesn't get there attention,they are from another planet!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts