GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the next six minutes $1k in revenue will be generated from photo radar cameras in AZ. And another $1k six minutes after that. Now picture the for-profit entity that just snapped your photo reaching into your wallet, extracting $165 and giving a chunk of it to the State of Arizona. I haven’t verified these facts independently but I’ve read five different articles this evening that indicate there are over 200 Redflex photo radar cameras in operation in Phoenix Metro now. Governor Napolitano signed a law into effect this summer enabling the state-wide use of photo radar enforcement and if you drive in Phoenix you know that the situation is out of hand. Here’s why:
A. A for-profit Australian company (Redflex - RDF) has been essentially granted the ability to levy a tax against Arizonans and split the profits with the State.

BTW NO POINTS,, they just want the money the MFers

posted from http://www.scrollinondubs.com/2008/12/10/photo-radar-in-arizona/ because I am too lazy to type it

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
It's NOT a tax as indicated in the article, it's a fine for running a red light. If you don't run the light you won't pay the fine.

I hate hearing people complain about having to pay fines for speeding, running stop lights, failing to stop at stop signs, ect. when they know doing so can result in a fine. Man up and accept responsibility for your actions.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Keep your fullface helmets on and visors down, no face no ticket. I do have experiance on being flashed on my Wing over 2 months ago, no ticket.

These PITA cameras are all over surface streets in a lot of towns around the valley, especialy Scottsdale.:cus:

·
Registered
602 Posts
Easy there, Twyn..... Oh, I agree w/u - but, keep in mind the fact they took Bidwell off our hands ! Let'em call it whatever they want !

I'm not in StL - but close; have family that live in StL & know they've had the notorious "red light cameras" @ major intersections there - for years. Just exercise caution - keep your head up (monitor the traffic lights); pay attention to your speed-o-meter & you'll be fine and dandy, as-opposed to paying a fine !

Finally gotta chance to put about 100 mi. on my new wing yesterday. I've now got about 600 mi. logged. Hoping to put another 250 -or- so on Friday via a Patriot Guard ride for one of our finest.

Dave / Silver '09 / Farmington, MO

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Governor Napolitano signed a law into effect this summer enabling the state-wide use of photo radar enforcement and if you drive in Phoenix you know that the situation is out of hand. Here’s why:
Here is an idea...How about not blowing through red lights and keeping your money in your pocket? ;)

After 6 years in Phoenix I realized that red lights were <apparently> only a <suggestion> to stop. Rode from my home in Paradise Valley to Sky Harbor five days a week and saw first hand the disregard for traffic lights...

BTW, if the money collected went back in the <community> instead of going to the business that developed and operates the photo radar, everyone would be bitching that photo radar is simply a <money making enterprise> for the city and has nothing to do with safety. You can't please everyone....

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,733 Posts
I got one here. So what? I was speeding, I paid the fine. No points and to me, that's the most important part. If your speeding or run lights and you get caught, man up, grow some balls, take responsibility and pay the stupid fine. We have mounted cameras and we have portable units. So, the target area can change, and does, at any time. Suck it up and deal with it.

Do I like it? nope. Do I think it's for our safety? HELL NO. But, it is what it is and I don't see it going away. I just see it getting worse. Smaller cameras, hidden easier. Oh well. Welcome to the wonderful world of technology. It'll only get worse.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My wife recieved one of those tickets in the mail.... Thank you Florissant, Mo... the picture shows that she was going 28mph with brakelights on.... (Yes, it was one of those quick yellow lights).... anyway, my question is how can you run a redlight... and not recieve a moving violation? Simply a parking ticket... that cost $100.00... and you can say that isn't a BS tax? Put a human cop out there....

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
you're right about the red light cameras. I could care less what someone gets fined for running red lights. However the speed cameras were put in strictly for revenue enhancement. We pay good money for the highway patrol who's job is traffic enforcement and control. The speed cameras do nothing to make you slow down and take no impaired drivers off the road. I have not run afowl of them but find them obnoxious. jmo

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Is it possible to challenge a red-light photo citation? Not talking about a speeding radar photo, but one you get for going through a red light...

Or more accurately, for going through a yellow light... Any first hand experience?

·
Registered
200 Posts
You have to have the experiance of riding or driving down a freeway and have a group of 10-20 vehicles start applying the brakes going form 65-70 down to 50mph in seconds. For no other reason but to go past the camera 10 mph under speed limit.

I have read where the service supplyers are taking up to 90% of $ collected in admin fees, similar to collecting tolls.

I was flashed riding the left lane where I consider the safe lane on busy freeways and you must ride on the limits edge. I am now finding myself looking for cameras rather than paying attention to riding my m/c.

Every state has varying driving habits, good ones or bad ones you have to be aware in order to servive. In otherwords if the flow of traffic on a busy freeway is 70mph in a 60 zone and you deside to do the 60 limit you are a hazzard like it or not.

I won't comment on driving habits in places I haven't lived.

·
Registered
602 Posts
To the challenge Q...... I've not been caught, yet, but, know I've heard some reports on TV that they've been challenged for various reasons. I've gotta lead foot & often speed - but, rarely, if ever, bust a light.

The cameras take pics of the rear license plate. The registered owner gets the ticket. If somebody else is driving - too bad, you're the registered owner & responsible for your vehicle. If its a company vehicle (i.e., UPS, AT&T, etc.,) the registered owner still gets the ticket & then it's up to them to decipher who would've been driving that particular car @ that particular time; etc...... No points on the license - just a fine.

I've heard of lotsa challenges - but, no successful "reversals" of the ticket. Maybe somebody can correct me there.

The cameras I know of are trained on the intersection & are only "activated" when the light turns red, not yellow -or- even yellowish-red. Maybe other areas callibrate their cameras/timing differently.

I don't have a problem w/red light cameras. Before the red light cameras arrived at some major StL intersections - there was flagrant disregard for traffic signals & negotiating several intersections resembled playing bumper pool. My $.02 is that the cameras are doing what they were intended to do & that's to make lotsa intersections safer.

Not enuf LEO's to park'em at all intersections - red light cameras work for me.

·
Registered
330 Posts
We had photo radar up here in ontario a few years ago. It lasted about 2 years and made a ton of money for the government but eventually public pressure resulted in them not using it anymore.

Good luck and be careful

good riding

·
Registered
200 Posts
BTW, the original post was in referance to hywy speed radar cameras, not red light running cameras.

·
Registered
65 Posts
After 6 years in Phoenix I realized that red lights were <apparently> only a <suggestion> to stop. Rode from my home in Paradise Valley to Sky Harbor five days a week and saw first hand the disregard for traffic lights...

My experience also. First time I was out there TDY I was riding with a friend...no sooner after him telling me that folks like to run lights here, we narrowly missed getting T-boned!

Al

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
This is not a TAX. A tax is charged against everyone. Not everyone speeds so they donot pay the fine. You want to beat them at their own game, do not speed. That is why we get out on our bikes to enjoy a ride not rip down a highway to see how fast the bike goes

·
Registered
803 Posts
First off the charge is not a criminal complaint, as you normally think of a traffic citation, but a civil one. That is how you get no points. It is much easier to convict you in civil court than criminal court. The rules are different. The plus, if there is one, is that your insurance does not go up.
That is the real cost in a normal citation. Court costs and fine may sting, but insurance points really bite.

It is true the plates get flashed. If you put a cover on the plates to defeat that then you get a real charge. In NC all you have to do is have one on and you're charged.

·
Registered
352 Posts
In Charlotte we had red light cameras for several years at accident prone intersections. The red light cameras greatly reduced the accidents at those intersections. Cameras are now not being used due to legality of how the proceeds were being used. Tickets were issued to the cars...didn't matter who was driving.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The only thing I have a problem with is they out sourced the system to Australia. Nothing against Australia ( it's a great country ) but with these hard economic times shouldn't they have used a local United States of America company?................

·
Registered
819 Posts
Lotsa threads on trafic law enforcement lately. I'm always confused when guys on motorcycles complain about this, since law violators wipe so many of us out.

I rented a bike in Costa Rica. It was fun, but dangerous, since traffic law enforcement outside the cities is lax. It got a little old riding around corners, while scanning the side of the (shoulderless) road, gauging the possibilities if I had to take to the ditch to avoid someone coming the other way over the double yellow. Or, exiting corners, being careful someone wasn't simply parked on the (shoulderless) road (that was fairly common). Treating green lights as "yield" signs.

Outside the Costa Rican cities there's mostly only one traffic law cop. But he wears a black hood, and carries a sickle. And he may give you a ticket when it's the other guy's fault. I'll take this country and law enforcement, any time.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
The AZ speed camera tickets are first reviewed by the company and any pictures that are not able to ID a driver are tossed. (unless they are high speed or repeat violators.) Those that can be ID are sent on to law enforcement.

The DPS was not the agency pushing for these cameras, but since their installation, accidents in the areas where the cameras operate have decreased by 50%, fatal accidents by 25%. This is the state patrolled highways, I don't have info on the city cameras. Not all the data have been corrected for traffic volume, weather, etc, but the initial findings were surprising. No one was surprised that they generate a lot of tickets but they were surprised at the accident reductions.

The current legislation to do away with them is all emotion based and claims about invasion of privacy, etc, and they probably will be eliminated due to public demand.

But, they have worked. Speeds are down, accidents are down.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts