GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I figured I would formally introduce myself since I just slipped in here a few weeks ago.

I was tired of messing around with different bikes and decided that I just wanted to go with the best out there and decided to ditch my VTX and get a Goldwing. I picked up an '07 Dark Metallic Blue Prem/Comfort/Nav. I couldn't be happier.

I've put 400 miles on it so far and it feels great. I get a little tired in the upper back so I'm hoping a backrest will fix that problem. I'm looking at getting the Khrome Werks backrest and possibly the backrest/armrest combo for the wife.

My only complaints so far is that the Nav has 2005 software on it and there are several unverified roads on the outskirts of town where I ride. Also there is a little noise when I hit harder bumps coming from the front of the bike. It sounds like the front fender/fork cover area. I've checked everything and nothing is loose that I can tell, just a little rattle sound when hitting harder bumps in the road. I'll just turn up the radio to compensate for now...

Anyway, I don't know many 30 year olds that ride a Goldwing, but I feel much older than I am. I used to race motocross and have broken my share of bones and now I'm suffering with a herniated disc in my lower back. The VTX and my previous bikes were just not comfortable. The Goldwing is the most comfortable bike I've ever sat on. It's surprisingly nimble and I can scoot it around town just fine. My wife Loves the back seat also and is wanting us to do some longer trips around Arizona.

Hi folks!

·
Registered
2,224 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
That there bike is a beauty!!!! You'll enjoy many (s)miles riding it.
Welcome to the real world!!!!! :yes:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hey from one young'n to another... HEY!!! You'll really like this bike, I have the Utopia Back rest and it's the one to go with for sure; bought it, installed it myself (sort of tricky to get it right, but doable if you read up on the forum and take your TIME!!!!) we have about 10,000 miles on it so far and no complaints or anything!

Welcome... you'll be hooked!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Welcome. As far as upper back (shoulder area) ache. Take a look at the bar risers. There's several brands/styles. Any of them are helpful. And I second the Utopia backrest recommendation.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Im 28, been riding wings since I was 21. of course...blue is faster!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Another young one...

Welcome aboard. I, too, felt the intial awkwardness of being a young guy with a wing. I am 33, and bought mine in October '05. Since then (and 6500 miles later) I have had nothing but GOOD TIMES on it and met some people I consider as very close friends now, none of which are even within 10 years of my age!!

As for the backrest, check out the Utopia. You will save money and it's a great product!!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
8)
Welcome and that's a nice lookin' ride ya got there, no CBC. :wink:
For the owners of this particularly awesome ride gettin' comfortable when yer beat up is just doin' some research, askin' questions from the more established owners and checkin' out whats available. :wink:

:flg:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Welcome...although I'm not in my thirties any more (wish is was) I'm in my forties still feeling thirties though...you find a few youngin' in here.

Nothing like that Wing, huh. Man aint it SWEET...

As far as backrest you need to look into Utopia...by far my choice and you'll find many others that will agree.

·
Registered
19,069 Posts
Welcome-Ride a bike with a Utopia backrest first. I am in the minority but I don't like backrest. I like the bike better without it

·
Registered
573 Posts
I'm slightly older at 35, and just got my Wing in September. I should have bought it a long time ago. Over the years I've had Dual Sports, Crotch Rockets and Cruisers and the Wing is the BEST I have ever riden. I've put more miles on this bike since Sept, then I did all year on my VTX1800. My wife wasn't too sure about giving up her bike and being a passenger (couldn't afford payments on two bike right now), but since she had only riden her bike twice all year she gave in. She was pleasantly surprised that being a passenger isn't that bad.

Unfortunately the Northwest winter is arriving the riding days are numbered. :cry: The weather looks clear this weekend and I'm heading out for a solo 300 mile ride :p

Have fun with the new Wing.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Welcome aboard! I vote for the Utopia as well. Easy mounting the back seat and nothing for your passengers legs to rub against. If you do get the Utopia, rin the pax i/c cord up through the same hole. It will make it easier for your passenger to plug and unplug.

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
Ride the snot out of that thing before you make any decisions about add ons. I changed my mind 20 or so times on what I thought I needed and it didn't cost a thing to ponder.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Hello and welcome to you,

If you are sure you need a back rest then the Utopia gets my vote as well. It is easy to remove when neccessary and sometimes I like riding without it. I do know for long day rides the Utopia has added (s)miles to the trips...

My son purchased his first wing when he was only 30-31. He is now on his second one (1800) first one being a 1500.

·
Registered
979 Posts
:D Welcome, i guess im an old timer now at 47 but i bought my first wing at 27 years old and have had one in the garage ever since. Enjoy that new bike it just gets better the more you ride it. :beer3: Heres to many happy miles on that new ride. :D PS just avoid that Blk04wing he will tell you Goldwings $uck LOL :shock:

·
Registered
630 Posts
Congrats on the bike! Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Welcome to the board....... :) I have the kromeworks backrest, the best thing I ever put on the wing. It does put support "High". I was actually disappointed when I originally installed it, I wanted lower back support.
But I've gotten use to it and firmly like it. The only flaw I guess you could say, is if you are leaning forward without weight on it when you hit a bump ? She'll smack you in the back so you won't do it again.......LOL

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Welcome aboard. The Wing is pretty good, but the X was different but not worse.

Enjoy yourself and ride safe.

Bulldog

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
WELCOME!!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Welcome the to Goldwing world.
NOW......Let's put some chrome on that puppy!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts