GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a pair of Bridgestones on my F6B but the front tire is definately shot and the rear tire might be due for replacing too.

My local Honda shop quoted me the most cost effective pair that they could find but I'm not sure how good they might be so I wanted to check with you guys here first if you don't mind.

The tires that they priced for me are a pair of Metzeler:

Front: 130/70R18 63H ME888

Rear: 180/60R16 80H ME888

Are these pretty decent tires?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
deleted duplicate post

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
How many miles / km did you get from the ‘Stones? I’ve run Dunflops, E3’s and Bridgestone G709 on the front and I think the Bridgestones were the best. Rear is a CT.

When I buy tires, I don’t go cheap. It’s the only thing between me and the highway.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I currently have a pair of Bridgestones on my F6B but the front tire is definately shot and the rear tire might be due for replacing too.

My local Honda shop quoted me the most cost effective pair that they could find but I'm not sure how good they might be so I wanted to check with you guys here first if you don't mind.

My personal faves are Avon Cobra Chromes, with the rear in 70 series. Excellent performance in every regard - handling turning, braking, noise level, wear. I'm on probably my 4th or more set of Cobras. They are my preference.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How many miles / km did you get from the ‘Stones? I’ve run Dunflops, E3’s and Bridgestone G709 on the front and I think the Bridgestones were the best. Rear is a CT.

When I buy tires, I don’t go cheap. It’s the only thing between me and the highway.
I only got this bike last summer second hand so I can't say how much mileage are on these tires currently on the bike.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have friends that run the Metzeler's and like them. They are a good tire. I personally run Dunlop E4's. If the price is right they will provide good mileage.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have Dunlop E4 on mine. Very satisfied. Have just over 9,000 miles and both tires still have a long way to wear bars.

·
Registered
98 Posts
On my 13 F6B I have had the OEM Stones then two sets of the Mettzlers, One set of the Dunlops, and now am running the Avon Cobra Chrome. As far as mileage. the Avons currently have @ 8k and it appears the rear has about another 2-3 k. All the others I got between 11.5k - 12.5k. My take on performance - the Avons and the Stones handled the best. Mettzlers were good early but got real loud towards the end and my least favorite was the Dunlops. As far as price the Stones are the least expensive. Whichever brand you go with, make sure you keep an eye on tire pressure - it makes a big difference,
I have a buddy who also has a 13 F6B and he put a CT on in 2014......He has not bought another tire since. Jealous, but so far I have stuck with mc tires.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I purchased my '15 F6B std. last August w/4800 miles on it. By 7k the OEM 'stones were looking sad. By 8k they were shot. I replaced them with Shinko Journeys in OEM sizes at 8k.
Just finished a 6300 mile ride on them, 2k on the tires before I left. When I got home, the fronts were nearing the bars, rears still looked to have 30% left.
I want to ride a lot more this summer, so I had them replaced this week with the same set of Shinkos.
No complaints yet on these tires. I have Garmin TPMS sensors on my tires to reference via my GPS, so I can watch the pressures, as well as see logs to tell me what the pressures have been for the past like 8 days.
All I have left to do is have my N2 tank filled and replace the air in them to dry nitrogen, so I can be a bit less neurotic about it. You'd be freakin amazed at how much pressure fluctuates as the tires heat up, especially with desert riding.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I purchased my '15 F6B std. last August w/4800 miles on it. By 7k the OEM 'stones were looking sad. By 8k they were shot. I replaced them with Shinko Journeys in OEM sizes at 8k.
Just finished a 6300 mile ride on them, 2k on the tires before I left. When I got home, the fronts were nearing the bars, rears still looked to have 30% left.
I want to ride a lot more this summer, so I had them replaced this week with the same set of Shinkos.
So, just to be certain I read your post correctly: you are saying you added 2000 more miles onto the 6300 on the Shinko Journeys? That is 8300 miles, and you still have an estimated 30% left, before you hit the wear indicators on the rear? That sounds like a good recommendation!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Michelin Commander ll or lll. You'll have to go to a 180/65 in the rear.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Not trying to sound combative, but picking a tire is really up to you. Some people hate Bridgestones, some hate Avon’s, Dunlops, Shinkos, and Michelin’. Some people like one brand over the others. Take a look at what everyone says on here and make your choice. I use a certain brand and have for years on all of three of my last GWs and now my F6B and will probably never change. Does not mean they would be the right ones for you.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Personally I like the Michelin Commander II on the front, but I run a CT with it. None of the rear Commander II’s have a high enough load rating for the GL1800.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,862 Posts

STONES ONLY FOR ME

·
Registered
817 Posts
I have had the Dunlops (came on my new 06 Wing) and did not like them at all. I currently have Metzler 888s and don't like them either, they are very loud and I can feel the cupping tread on the front tire with only about 3500 miles on them (they came on my current bike when I bought it). I have gone through 4 sets of Bridgestone 709 and 704 on 3 different Goldwings and I believe them to be the best handling. When these Metzlers wear out it's Stones for me no matter what the cost. I'm even tempted now to get rid of the Metzlers and buy new Stones.

·
Registered
134 Posts

I have tried several tires over the last several years, believe me there is only one tire for the Wing, Bridgestone 709, dont waste time or money on anything else.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Personally I like the Michelin Commander II on the front, but I run a CT with it. None of the rear Commander II’s have a high enough load rating for the GL1800.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not sure what the weight rating on the stock Wing tires are, but the Metezlers the OP referred to have an 80 weight rating (992 lbs) and the Commander ll's and lll's have a weight rating of 81 (1019 lbs). I think either would be adequate for a Goldwing.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts