GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have tried several tires over the last several years, believe me there is only one tire for the Wing, Bridgestone 709, dont waste time or money on anything else.
I should have said for the FRONT tire the 709 is the best, for the back I have tried quite a few, Dunlops stick the best but don't last, Shinkos are junk had 2 Avon's delaminate, Metzlers worked pretty well, then I went to car tires and can't wait for the MC tire on new bike to wear out.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Not sure what the weight rating on the stock Wing tires are, but the Metezlers the OP referred to have an 80 weight rating (992 lbs) and the Commander ll's and lll's have a weight rating of 81 (1019 lbs). I think either would be adequate for a Goldwing.
Yes, especially when you consider the weight distribution factor, between 2 axles.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I should have said for the FRONT tire the 709 is the best, for the back I have tried quite a few, Dunlops stick the best but don't last, Shinkos are junk had 2 Avon's delaminate, Metzlers worked pretty well, then I went to car tires and can't wait for the MC tire on new bike to wear out.
I've heard both good and bad about Shinko tires. The new Journey 890 radials are getting some positive reviews, the previous radials did not. The bias have both good and bad reviews. Since Shinko bought out Yokohama m/c tire division, they have had spotty reviews. The new radials are getting a reputation as good, road sticky, soft compound tires, that wear faster than those with a firmer, mixed compound ( more expensive process), like Dunlop or Bridgestone.
Might give them a try - they're a lot less expensive.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Metzler lost me many years ago when I had two of them come apart on me. My front is a Bridgestone 709 and my back is a darker tire...

Reactions: eddiedial

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Going to install B-Stone Excedra Max on my wing,this the 14th set of tires since I bought the bike it has 137,000 mi on it..
I've had all the brands & Avon was the WORST!! 3 rear tires de-laminated inside & caused a bad wobble, Avon covered it under warranty, but, it ain't worth the problems..
just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I ran the ME888's when they first came out. They are a decent tire as far as mileage but they are also the noisiest tire I ever ran. they had a slight buzz at low speeds and in a turn they would really sing to you .I am running the Dunlop's now and they are a lot quieter and the tractions seems to be better

·
Registered
843 Posts
Not sure what the weight rating on the stock Wing tires are, but the Metezlers the OP referred to have an 80 weight rating (992 lbs) and the Commander ll's and lll's have a weight rating of 81 (1019 lbs). I think either would be adequate for a Goldwing.
Been a while since I looked . Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
I have had the Dunlops (came on my new 06 Wing) and did not like them at all. I currently have Metzler 888s and don't like them either, they are very loud and I can feel the cupping tread on the front tire with only about 3500 miles on them (they came on my current bike when I bought it). I have gone through 4 sets of Bridgestone 709 and 704 on 3 different Goldwings and I believe them to be the best handling. When these Metzlers wear out it's Stones for me no matter what the cost. I'm even tempted now to get rid of the Metzlers and buy new Stones.
Stones are the best for me . Smooth and plenty of grip. 80 k several sets stones ran the best.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I currently have a pair of Bridgestones on my F6B but the front tire is definately shot and the rear tire might be due for replacing too.

My local Honda shop quoted me the most cost effective pair that they could find but I'm not sure how good they might be so I wanted to check with you guys here first if you don't mind.

The tires that they priced for me are a pair of Metzeler:

Front: 130/70R18 63H ME888

Rear: 180/60R16 80H ME888

Are these pretty decent tires?
Of course everyone has a different opinion but I have Dunlop Elite 4s and they handle great in wet weather and I get 15 to 17 thousand miles out of them.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts