GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here’s the scoop…..

Rode for an hour or so yesterday, stopped for gas, and upon restarting, noticed both turn signal indicators on the dash were lit, although very dimly. I tried using both left and right turn signals, but no change: both indicators stayed dimly lit, and the turn signals didn’t flash.

Using either front or rear brake causes the turn signal indicators to glow brightly.

Emergency flasher does not work.

The turn signal lights on the back of the bike are also dimly lit, but activating either brake causes them to glow brightly.

On the ride home, everything started working properly for a few miles, then started acting up again. This went back and forth from working to not working several times. Currently, all is working well.

The poop on the bike…

2006 Nav/Comfort.
23,000 miles.
No electrical accessories added, other than a power outlet added to the front pocket last year.
When I bought the bike last November, the battery was dead, so the dealer swapped it out with one from a used ’08 he had on the sales floor.

I do have the service manual CD, but the electrical design used on this pooch appears to be of space shuttle origin.

I’ve read other posts about wiring troubles, and was going to dig into a couple things like the harness in the trunk hinge area, but thought it best to offer up my situation to you guys before getting in too deep.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
On first read, seems like flasher function is intermittent, not close to my service manual to help more.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
check your bulbs, if one is bad, it will cause what you have described

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks...I'll do that. Are you talking about the turn signal bulbs in particular, or any bulb?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just checked....started bike, all lights, front and rear, are on. However, ALL rear lights are dim, front mirror lights are bright. When turn signal is activated, front mirror lights go dim, no change in rear lights. Turn signal indicators on dash are still glowing dimly, but when brake is applied they glow brightly.

EDIT: Quick question....are there 2 bulbs in the mirror lights, or just one? Not sure now if one mirror light might be out.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
there is only bulb in each of the side (mirror) lights..
.. it has two filaments..
one filament for "always on" running light and one filament for directional

Does the bike have a trailer hitch?

Dennis

EDIT: Quick question....are there 2 bulbs in the mirror lights, or just one? Not sure now if one mirror light might be out.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Ground wire under seat... does the cruise control work?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
there is only bulb in each of the side (mirror) lights..
.. it has two filaments..
one filament for "always on" running light and one filament for directional

Does the bike have a trailer hitch?

Dennis

No hitch, but you've got me wondering about the mirror bulbs. I'll check, as one appears a bit brighter than the other.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my bike. I made an appt. to have it looked at and before I got it to the dealer, it healed itself. Then a year or more later, it happened again. Took it to a dealer I used to work for so I trust this place. The head tech said that a connector under the seat had a burned spot in it and the preferred fix was to replace the whole wiring system. Knowing that I am a cheapskate, they fixed it by running a jumper wire around the connector. Quick simple fix and very little cost.

·
Vendor
18,400 Posts
It sounds like the ground wire in the 14 pin white connector under the seat to me too. Ground the ground wire on the trunk side and everything will work if that is the problem ... then repair it.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,536 Posts
It's C31 (gray connector) in this picture has a bad connection in the green wire that provides the ground for the brake lights.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Yep, I think that was the fix.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's C31 (gray connector) in this picture has a bad connection in the green wire that provides the ground for the brake lights.

Techdude;

Sorry about the delay in reporting back....been away for several days and today was the first opportunity I had to check into your suggested repair.

I started the bike, and everything was operating normally. Grrrrr. I drove it several miles in an attempt to get it to start acting up again, but to no avail. I removed the seat and located the gray connector and pulled it apart. All pins "looked clean", but I ran a bypass wire for the green wire you indicated. The plan is to put lots of miles on it over the weekend (if the weather cooperates) to see if the issue resurfaces.

Thanks to all for the fast responses and suggestions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts