GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have a YUASA battery charger / maintainer currently being used on my VT1100 Shadow Spirit. I am thinking of ordering another set of "pigtails" to install on the GL1800, and just alternate charging once a week or so. Do you think this would work ? My previous method of keeping the batteries charged was to take each bike out, 1X per week and ride 30 - 40 minutes. As of today, the charger is tending to the Shadow, but I am still braving the cold weather to charge the GL1800 battery.

Also, will this battery charger work with a Honda Element car ? The charger is YUASA 12 Volt Model 12V900. Not that I need it now for the Element but it would be nice to know if I could.

Thanks guys ! You are the brightest folks I know !
Dave

·
Registered
464 Posts
I am sure you will get a lot of different opinions on this but what you are doing is exactly what I do. I have one of the inexpensive Shumacher tenders from Wally World and while I try to ride all winter there are some weeks that I miss. Since the cold weather set in I've ridden an average of once every two weeks and I alternate the bikes (GL1800, 1200 Sportster) trying to make sure that I ride at least 20 or 30 minutes each to keep them dry, lubed and charged. I also swap the tender to the bike I'm not riding but the charged light seems to always show charged. That tells me that over a 2 week period the battery isn't discharging very much.

Now if I had two bikes or car and bike that I wouldn't drive/ride for 30 days or so I think I'd alternate the charger every two or three weeks. Not so much to keep them charged, as I don't think they discharge much in 30 days, but to keep the sulfate from building up. When you put a charger on a battery it de-sulfates the plates extending the useful life.

As a matter of fact, since the chargers are only $19 at Wal-mart and I use it on all cars, bikes, lawn tractor etc, I probably should have at least two of them.

Just my opinion and it works for me.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Since I only have 150 miles on my new Wing since bringing it home yesterday, I can only reply based on my experience with Harleys (over the last 4 decades) but I guess a battery is a battery.

It was my experience that my battery life was greatly extended by having the bike on a maintiner any time I wasn't riding it. I mean that uniquely. If I wasn't on it I had it pluged in. It may or may not be pertinant that the later model Harley batteries are absorbed glass matt (AGM) and may behave differently.

I occasionally had more than one bike at a time and alway had a maintainer on both. They're so cheap it's not really an issue buying one for each bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts