GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
SuperModerator
3,415 Posts
Good luck. You're looking for Hen's Teeth. I made a big mistake (and I knew it was a mistake even as I was doing it) by giving away my Zackybilly ball to a friend whom I owed a big favor. I too would pay a good price for another one, and would guard it with a 12-gauge.

Glen

Reactions: CAWing

·
Registered
817 Posts
Good luck. You're looking for Hen's Teeth. I made a big mistake (and I knew it was a mistake even as I was doing it) by giving away my Zackybilly ball to a friend whom I owed a big favor. I too would pay a good price for another one, and would guard it with a 12-gauge.

Glen
OK, I'll probably be sorry but what the dickens is a Zackybilly ball ?

·
Registered
997 Posts
Zackabilly ball was a custom trailer ball that had a thinner slightly taller neck. It allows the trailer hitch and bike to have more flexibility and angle more to help in curves and such. 20200716_140729.jpg

·
Registered
817 Posts
Zackabilly ball was a custom trailer ball that had a thinner slightly taller neck. It allows the trailer hitch and bike to have more flexibility and angle more to help in curves and such. View attachment 371908
Thanks. First time I have ever heard of a Zackabilly ball.

Reactions: remoandiris

·
Registered
997 Posts
I know it's a real longshot but all communications used to go through the email at [email protected] It couldnt hurt to give it a try but chances are you will get no response. I'd be really surprised if they had any left.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I believe it was a one time run when they were made. Kicking myself now for not grabbing one. I also would pay a good price for one.

·
Registered
20,827 Posts
Is there some reason no one else could make them ?

·
SuperModerator
3,415 Posts
Is there some reason no one else could make them ?
No Mike, any good machinist could make them. It is just a matter of time and money. Tims (Zackybilly) made these balls to help fill a demand but admitted that it was a money-losing proposition. I remember that Tims selected a particular grade of stainless for the material, and I need to know the material. If there is enough demand, and I think there is, we could get a group buy confirmed and have to balls made.

Glen

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
20,827 Posts
No Mike, any good machinist could make them. It is just a matter of time and money. Tims (Zackybilly) made these balls to help fill a demand but admitted that it was a money-losing proposition. I remember that Tims selected a particular grade of stainless for the material, and I need to know the material. If there is enough demand, and I think there is, we could get a group buy confirmed and have to balls made.

Glen
Glenn thanks for the reply, I believe you will have to take one of the Zackbilly balls to a machinist for examination To determine the material and exactly how it’s made, with how popular they were before I don’t think you would have much trouble selling Quite a few. Good luck with your new project !

·
Registered
997 Posts
Maybe this would help?

"I cut a Purchase Order for more material for them yesterday.

20 feet of 2" OD 17-4PH HH1150 170,000 lb. yield @ $4.23/inch + freight."

·
SuperModerator
3,415 Posts
Maybe this would help?

"I cut a Purchase Order for more material for them yesterday.

20 feet of 2" OD 17-4PH HH1150 170,000 lb. yield @ $4.23/inch + freight."

Yes, very much so. I too just found this same post. I loved reading some of the old threads. Lots of humor and wisdom there!

Before we proceed, I think I (we) owe Tims Red a call to give him first right of refusal. I have more respect for Tims than I can express, and I will try to find him to discuss this before going off the deep end. Also, if all works out we'll need to find out what kind of demand is out there before looking for a supplier.

Glen

·
Registered
362 Posts
OK, I'll probably be sorry but what the dickens is a Zackybilly ball ?
Zackybilly is in a league all by himself when it comes to fabrication in the motorcycle world. In addition to being an accomplished Iron Butt rider, he can build anything his mind dreams up when it comes to bikes. Here is a link to get you started. His Stealth Wing is something to behold, but so was the motorcycle-towable camper he put his own stamp on, as well as the Airstream trailer he reimagined. Good and entertaining read for sure in my humble opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
SuperModerator
3,415 Posts
Another forum member and I are having a “Discussion” about maybe having some hitch balls made. At the same time I am trying to contact Tims Red (Zackybilly) in order to run this by him first, for he was the original creator and I firmly believe we should ask his permission before copying his design.

Unable to contact Tims phone I called the shop number. I wound up talking with Jennifer, whose husband is the machinist who used to make the hitch balls. She personally handled the orders, billing, shipping, purchased the bar stock, etc. She will talk to her husband about making another run. I told her that I’d like to know the minimum order quantity and cost, and we might try to work up a group buy.

If that falls through, there may be a way to get someone else to fabricate a copy of the Zackybilly ball, but I believe that both morally and legally we should first go to the original source.

More coming as soon as Jennifer or Tims calls back.

Glen

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
This is a good thing and you're taking the right approach. Thanks.

I didn't think too much on this in the past because there were no Z-balls available, but now that you're messing with that, here's a question:

I accept it's a superior ball and provides for more lean angle with no interference. But the nature of the ball has its limitations. If we really want to take on the problem, would it be better to go all in with a swivel hitch?

My SWAG is that a regular ball will handle just about anything where you keep the bike upright, and though the Z-ball will do so mo betta, it won't handle a tip over or low side.

I may still jump on the bandwagon just because it's a magnificent piece of craftsmanship. But I may need to look at swivel hitch prices (+/- group buy?) if I try to justify the purchase; fortunately, no justification needed!

·
SuperModerator
3,415 Posts
This is a good thing and you're taking the right approach. Thanks.

I didn't think too much on this in the past because there were no Z-balls available, but now that you're messing with that, here's a question:

I accept it's a superior ball and provides for more lean angle with no interference. But the nature of the ball has its limitations. If we really want to take on the problem, would it be better to go all in with a swivel hitch?

My SWAG is that a regular ball will handle just about anything where you keep the bike upright, and though the Z-ball will do so mo betta, it won't handle a tip over or low side.

I may still jump on the bandwagon just because it's a magnificent piece of craftsmanship. But I may need to look at swivel hitch prices (+/- group buy?) if I try to justify the purchase; fortunately, no justification needed!
Bill, Tom Finch used to discuss swivel hitches occasionally, and I bet you could spend a few quality hours reading his opinions. To summarize his opinions, he basically thought they were evil and unnecessary. Some of his thoughts were salesmanship, but they were mostly engineering-type comments.

I do know (DAMHIK) that a regular hitch will survive a tip-over!

Glen

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Bill, Tom Finch used to discuss swivel hitches occasionally, and I bet you could spend a few quality hours reading his opinions. To summarize his opinions, he basically thought they were evil and unnecessary. Some of his thoughts were salesmanship, but they were mostly engineering-type comments.

I do know (DAMHIK) that a regular hitch will survive a tip-over!

Glen
I saw some of his commentary on that a while back. I figure if he thought swivel hitches were good, the Tailwind would have them. I haven't embraced his sense of the bad yet. I might be able to read his words in a few hours but it'd take a helluva lot longer to understand it. ;) And I've got a car tire, too, so maybe two Tom wrongs would make a right? I wish he was still around to wax lyrically about the engineering of it all.

Common sense AKA conventional wisdom AKA being a [email protected]$$ keeps getting in the way of me embracing the no-swivel. I'm a little touchy because when I went down a year ago I was on a trip with my Tailwind and I had VERY uncharacteristically unhitched on deer day and left it at the cabin. I keep wondering about how it would have gone down with the trailer in tow. Luckily, that's all a hypothetical.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I sent Zackabilly1 a PM last Feb. (2019) about the trailer ball to see if he was still manufacturing these and never received a reply. But I would be interested in the group buy.

·
IronMan
17,230 Posts
Reactions: Glockjock
1 - 20 of 30 Posts