GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
IronMan
17,230 Posts
Bill, Tom Finch used to discuss swivel hitches occasionally, and I bet you could spend a few quality hours reading his opinions. To summarize his opinions, he basically thought they were evil and unnecessary. Some of his thoughts were salesmanship, but they were mostly engineering-type comments.

I do know (DAMHIK) that a regular hitch will survive a tip-over!

Glen
IF I HAD A SWIVEL ON IN MY WRECK DONT THINK ID BE HERE TO TALK ABOUT IT . PRINCIPAL GOOD BUT DOING 60 MPH SWIVEL WOULD HAVE KEPT TRAILER UPRIGHT AND PUSHED ME OFF THE ROAD ! ME N TRAILER SLID ON SIDE 97 FT. CRASH BARS WORK !! WORN OUTSIDE STEEL BAR TO INSIDE .

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
OK, I'm caught up. Theoretical benefits of swivel hitch don't kick in until your bike is already upside down. At that point, a bent hitch coupler is the least of your worries. Prior to then, the pros of a good solid ball connection outweigh the cons of the slop of a swivel hitch. Including (surprise to me) the limited pitch in the hitch connection helping the bike keep the trailer from flipping, more that the risk of the trailer flipping the bike.

I was going to sign up for the Zack a Glocky ball anyway. Now maybe I want two. ;)

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
P.S. JOHN I JUST READ YOUR LAST POST. ;)

So you're saying the non-swivel hitch helped flip your trailer and that was a good thing? Your own special sort of "trailer brake"?

You should send me your Z ball. They're less good at flipping trailers because they provide more movement. You're at risk with all that salvage toting you do. Friends don't let friends drive dangerously. I'll put it in a safe place for you.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Does anyone remember what people gave for those things? Best I remember the shipping wasn't cheap either and it took a long time to get one.
Johnny S

·
Registered
997 Posts
Does anyone remember what people gave for those things? Best I remember the shipping wasn't cheap either and it took a long time to get one.
Johnny S
$50 flat rate for the trailer ball. Well worth it. I cant remember the cost for the spreader bar, may have been an additional $50 but again, well worth it.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
As pwhoever said,

$50.00 for the ball but that included shipping. I also bought the spreader bar and it was $50.00 also shipping included.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Glenn thanks for the reply, I believe you will have to take one of the Zackbilly balls to a machinist for examination To determine the material and exactly how it’s made, with how popular they were before I don’t think you would have much trouble selling Quite a few. Good luck with your new project !
does a hitch ball really need to be stainless ? I suspect this makes it difficult to sell enough to be profitable. I know hitch balls have cheap chrome on them but I have no idea why. who cares if their hitch ball is shiny and pretty ? then again, I don't believe in chrome kickstands either, but that's just me.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
does a hitch ball really need to be stainless ? I suspect this makes it difficult to sell enough to be profitable. I know hitch balls have cheap chrome on them but I have no idea why. who cares if their hitch ball is shiny and pretty ? then again, I don't believe in chrome kickstands either, but that's just me.
The ball is engineered for using on a motorcycle to pull a trailer. Longer shank between top of ball and bottom of ball to allow for the leaning of the bike. I suspect (I'm no engineer) that the tougher metal used is to account for the longer narrowness of the shank to allow for the lean. The narrowness of the taller shaft means better metal for loading stress on the narrow shank. Someone posted a picture of a regular chrome ball after riding a twisty road and the hitch of the trailer was biting into the ball on both sides because of the shorter shank.

Again I'm no engineer by any stretch but the guy who designed the Zack a Billy ball sure knows his stuff.

·
IronMan
17,230 Posts
P.S. JOHN I JUST READ YOUR LAST POST. ;)

So you're saying the non-swivel hitch helped flip your trailer and that was a good thing? Your own special sort of "trailer brake"?

You should send me your Z ball. They're less good at flipping trailers because they provide more movement. You're at risk with all that salvage toting you do. Friends don't let friends drive dangerously. I'll put it in a safe place for you.
[/QUOT YES ON THE FLIP. IF TRAILER DIDNT FLIP WOULD HAVE PUSHED ME OFF THE ROAD AT 60 MPH . WOULDNT THINK OUTCOME BE AS GOOD . CHANGED WHEEL ( RIM WAS GROUND DOWN ) AND BEEN USING EVER SINCE !!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts