GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
An old dirt biker trick I've used many times over the years is when a bike is brand new, I drill and tap a hole in the steering head and install a zerk fitting. The steering head is then pumped full of (a lot) of grease until it squeezes out from the top and the bottom bearing. After every muddy/dusty ride, a couple of quick pumps squeezes fresh grease through the bearings. With this technique, I've made steering head bearings last the life of the bike - quite a feat for a dirt bike. I've done this on many street bikes as well. Obviously, the frequency of greasing doesn't need to be nearly as much as a dirt bike, but it's still a lot easier than pulling apart the steering head every couple of years to lube the bearings. Now my question. On all past bikes I've owned, the steering head was clearly a 'tube', capped on both ends by the bearings. After filling the head with grease, the only escape route was through the bearings. For you guys who've pulled apart the steering head on the 1800: Is it a 'tube' or would the grease be pumped into the vast abyss of the hollow frame?

Thanks for any feedback!
Rob

·
Registered
49 Posts
zerk fitting

yes it can be done on your 1800 the same way. Just be careful when injecting grease you don't go overboard with it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: zerk fitting

Lee in az. said:
yes it can be done on your 1800 the same way. Just be careful when injecting grease you don't go overboard with it.
Thanks Lee. It sounds like you've had experience with the same technique? Have you done it on a wing?
Thanks.
Rob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts