GL1800Riders Forums banner

Zip tie tire changing technique.

8K views 26 replies 21 participants last post by  grunt 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Interesting procedure, thanks for posting.

The carcass of sports bike tires are quite a bit less stiff and flexible than that of a heavy duty/load rated Goldwing tire.

I'm sure it could be achieved, especially if you left the wheel, with tire, for dismount out in a hot sun for an hour of so. And likewise, if a new tire is going on the rim, I leave that out in the sun also.

This helps the tire to become quite a bit more flexible and easier to work with. I do this even though I have a pneumatic tire changer.

#6 ·
Slim chance of success with B'stone or Metzeler at the front. Slimmer chance with those two brands at the rear. Your chances of success with a Dunlop E-3 or Avon Cobra are Slim to None and Slim left town. On the other hand with a manual changer stand once you have the beads down in the drop valley, putting a zip or two around that area to keep it there is a great help at the rear, even better than the wood blocks many of us use. I have done that, but not recently as I used all of my giant zip ties and keep forgetting to buy more.

prs

#7 ·
i'll spend the $10 bucks at wallyworld and keep my sanity - whats left of it :bow::bow:unless your changing tires 4 times or more a yr aint worth hassle - $ - room for equipment for me . more power to ya

#8 ·
The rear tire for that bike is a 180/55 ZR 17. And that is for a ~425lb bike, less than half a GW1800. But it might work.

Don't know that it would be much easier than rim protectors, spoons, some 3/4" wood blocks and a little technique.

Squeezing those side walls together on GW1800 rear could be a bear.

#11 ·
We use these ties to put flex duct together with. We also us a special cinch tool to tighten them with. After mounting many many MC and darkside tires on my HF tire machine. I know one could not tighten those ties tight enough to do any kind of compression of a GW tire without breaking the ties. Not impossible but not very likely.

#13 ·
Ok, I save $200 per tire change front and rear. A tire changer costs lets say 1,500. I get 15k out of a tire. So to break even I would need to go 7 tire changes which would be 105,000 miles. Not worth the hassle to me. If money were not object I would have changer just to have one but would probably want a REAL GOOD one. And that would cost more than 1,500. GAnd from what I have read on here, changing a Wing tire is not FUN. Knowing what I know, I would doubt anyone could put an E3 off and on using this method.

#14 ·
Well I guess I am more cheap than lazy. I have been using this technique for the last 8 years. I don't have a tire changer just a set of 3 tire- irons. I have never changed one on the Goldwing but plan too in the very near future as both will need replacing before summer ends. I plan on going to the dark side and I still think it can be done like this. We will see.

I have changed Bridgestones, Metzlers 880',s Dunlops Elite 3's, on my HD Road Glide and also Michelin Pilots on my ST1300. As stated above the sport tires do have softer carcass / sidewalls and are easier. The Heavy Bias tires are the hardest but if you take your time and a little dish soap it is very do-able.

I carried ties on my trips for just this reason. The larger heavy ties are the best but it can be done with linking multiple smaller ties if needed. The thing to do is to just keep tightening them down in sequence like putting the lug nuts back on the tire. Use lots of ties. The heavier the tire the more you will need. Idealy you want to compress the two bead together as close as possible. Touching each other if you can. Then the center the tire in the middle of the rim laterally so it is at the highest point smallest circumference area in the middle. Lots of soap on the tire and the rim as well and then it will slide right on with a little bit of pressure applied. I can now change a tire like this using no tires irons at all to put the tire on. I still use them to remove the old tire.

Oh and I am 24x2 now.
Tom

#15 ·
Well I guess I am more cheap than lazy. I have been using this technique for the last 8 years. I don't have a tire changer just a set of 3 tire- irons. I have never changed one on the Goldwing but plan too in the very near future as both will need replacing before summer ends. I plan on going to the dark side and I still think it can be done like this. We will see.

I have changed Bridgestones, Metzlers 880',s Dunlops Elite 3's, on my HD Road Glide and also Michelin Pilots on my ST1300. As stated above the sport tires do have softer carcass / sidewalls and are easier. The Heavy Bias tires are the hardest but if you take your time and a little dish soap it is very do-able.

I carried ties on my trips for just this reason. The larger heavy ties are the best but it can be done with linking multiple smaller ties if needed. The thing to do is to just keep tightening them down in sequence like putting the lug nuts back on the tire. Use lots of ties. The heavier the tire the more you will need. Idealy you want to compress the two bead together as close as possible. Touching each other if you can. Then the center the tire in the middle of the rim laterally so it is at the highest point smallest circumference area in the middle. Lots of soap on the tire and the rim as well and then it will slide right on with a little bit of pressure applied. I can now change a tire like this using no tires irons at all to put the tire on. I still use them to remove the old tire.

Oh and I am 24x2 now.
Tom
Tom: I want to be there when you get your first runflat Car tire and feel that sidewall! If you do attempt this method to mount it on your Goldwing please, Please, PLEASE video it for you will be my hero!:bow:

#16 ·
Tom: I want to be there when you get your first runflat Car tire and feel that sidewall! If you do attempt this method to mount it on your Goldwing please, Please, PLEASE video it for you will be my hero!:bow:

LOL Like I said I haven't done a goldwing or a car tire yet. I do believe a run flat will be a bit of a problem but I will give it a try. I am just very glad to learn that walmart will mount if you tell then it is for a trailer. That has been one of my biggest concerns. As for the front it will be easy-peasy.

I have only had one tire I could not mount so I took it to my local HD dealer and he tried. I had it mounted but could not get it to seat. Anyway it turns out it was defected.

I am afraid you may be right with the run flats as I hadn't thought of that but we will see. It should be interesting.

#17 ·
I used 4 huge "C" clamp style clamps on my YOKO RF and it didn't bring the inside of the tire together that much. It was enough to get it to sit in the low of the rim and made it slide on a "Little" easier........ "Little" being reflective of the job being a bitch to do by hand on a HF changer anyways. I can see where the large Zip ties could have helped, but not around the whole tire. Just around maybe 1/2 the tire and spoon the rest on.

#18 ·
LOL Like I said I haven't done a goldwing or a car tire yet. I do believe a run flat will be a bit of a problem but I will give it a try. I am just very glad to learn that walmart will mount if you tell then it is for a trailer. That has been one of my biggest concerns. As for the front it will be easy-peasy.

I have only had one tire I could not mount so I took it to my local HD dealer and he tried. I had it mounted but could not get it to seat. Anyway it turns out it was defected.

I am afraid you may be right with the run flats as I hadn't thought of that but we will see. It should be interesting.
If you have studied up on the darkside threads you know but remember that Walmart will screw up a shinny rim with their machine! If you care you can ask for a rim clamp though I am not sure they all have that in their shops

#19 ·
If you have studied up on the darkside threads you know but remember that Walmart will screw up a shinny rim with their machine! If you care you can ask for a rim clamp though I am not sure they all have that in their shops
Thanks, I didn't know that I haven't read that much on them still doing reseach.

If anyone knows of an installer in the Mobile AL Pensacola FL area I would love to know about them.

#20 ·
#21 ·
I can see where the rear tire would be more difficult. I too have a runflat car tire on mine, but then it will last 30k plus miles and I can afford to take it somewhere. The front on the other hand should be doable. Just my opinion of course. I think I'll try it when I can afford a new tire.

#22 ·
Okay as I stated earlier in the thread I was going to have to change tires soon.. I changed out the front with no problem using this method putting on a BT-45.

The rear Michelin Alpin RF that I had plan on putting on the rear well that is a different story. I didn't have to mount it at all as I found one with rim and
TPMS that I bought from a board member here that was almost brand new. He was selling his bike and wanted to put it back to stock for the prospective buyers. Just for grins and giggles I tried to break the bead with my HF bead breaker.....NADA...NOPE ....ZIP...AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN. So when it does wear out and time to be replaced I will be taking my now extra rim to Walmart. At present I left my old rear tire mounted just in case I need to drop it at the dealer for some warranty work.

#23 ·
:lol: Those RF tires are a wee bit stiff aren't they? :lol:

Okay as I stated earlier in the thread I was going to have to change tires soon.. I changed out the front with no problem using this method putting on a BT-45.

The rear Michelin Alpin RF that I had plan on putting on the rear well that is a different story. I didn't have to mount it at all as I found one with rim and
TPMS that I bought from a board member here that was almost brand new. He was selling his bike and wanted to put it back to stock for the prospective buyers. Just for grins and giggles I tried to break the bead with my HF bead breaker.....NADA...NOPE ....ZIP...AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN. So when it does wear out and time to be replaced I will be taking my now extra rim to Walmart. At present I left my old rear tire mounted just in case I need to drop it at the dealer for some warranty work.

#25 ·
For $15 a wheel, I will take them to the tire place in Uniopolis Oh. They have a motorcycle changer. They don't balance, but I use Dyna Beads

#26 ·
tire changing

Looks like a lot of @#$%ing around to change a tire. I do not see any advantage over just using tire irons. In fact he had to use one in the video. If you know the proper technique tire irons are quicker than this method. Breaking the bead loose without a tire machine is the real problem. I once had a buddy hold the tire in position while I drove a car over the old tire to break loose the bead.

I live near a bike shop now so my tire changing days are over. I do take the wheels off the bike though. Saves a little money.

Rayjoe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.