GL1800Riders Forums banner

Zumo 220

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  ronbien 
#1 ·
Anyone have this GPS? any comments good or bad. It has good reviews on the Amazon site but comments from this board are always appreciated. :shrug: The model is in the title but after reading my post it should be in the question also, LOL. Zumo 220

#2 ·
NEVER heard of it, I have a 550. Ive heard of the 450 but not the 220. You are right though, I googled it and learned something new.

#3 ·
The Zumo 200 looks like a good entry level GPS that is made to use on a motorcycle (waterproof). It has many of the features of the more expensive models and a few that I wish my Zumo 550 had like "lane assist" and "speed limit display". It does not have an MP3 player, XM compatibility, FM transmitter or audio output jack. If you want to hear the voice prompts in your helmet, you will have to purchase one with built-in Bluetooth. But for just over $300 (from Amazon) it looks like a great deal if you don't want to pay two to almost three times the price for the high-end Zumo units.

Here is a comparison of the 550 and 220 from the Garmin website:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=135&compareProduct=65210&compareProduct=414

#4 ·
I just ordered a Nuvi 755T because it has an FM transmitter and you can hear direction prompts thru the stereo. Since I don't have headphone hookup but I can hear my stereo very well I thought this would be good. It also has a lot of other features like bluetooth, MP3 and so on. I used a GPS for the first time ever on a recent trip to Chatanooga and although my present GPS does not allow route planning, and the stupid thing kept telling me to turn so I could get back on the interstate, it was somewhat useful so I decided to upgrade. The 755T also has European maps and should come in handy for my trip to Germany this December. It's not waterproof but baggies are cheap. Can't see paying $600+ for a GPS.

#5 ·
I have a 755T that I move between the car, truck and bike. It is a little hard to see in the sun though. Still use my Garmin V most of the time, wish they would come up with a wide-screen unit like the 755 with greyscale, color don't do that much for me.

#8 ·
I'd buy the Nuvi for half the price. And as mentioned if it rains put a baggie over it. Zumo are great, but way overpriced.

They are more expensive because they are made for a motorcycle. Besides being COMPLETELY water proof, they are SHOCKPROOF. I accidently unlatched mine while moving the XM line that was under my latch at 60 mph and was fortunate enough to catch it with my left hand, there was an intersection with a stop sign coming up. It didnt take me long to figure out that I would soon need my left hand for the clutch, so I tried to set the Zumo in my lap, it fell off and bounced over and over again down the road. Went back and picked it up and set it in the cradle and it worked just fine! I dont think a Nuvi (which my wife has in her Jeep) would handle that abuse. Of course most Goldwing riders arent as stupid as I!

There is another advantage the Zumo has over the Nuvi, the numbers and letter are much bigger so that you can utilize then with gloves on...even winter gloves, with out pressing two letters or numbers. I would spend the extra dough for the Zumo (of course I would, because I did back when the Zumo 550 was $850) I would not want to have to stop on a trip on the interstate in the winter, in the rain with gloves on to find my baggie and put over my GPS...but thats just me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.