GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished testing my Zumo 396 with the "bounce test." I was reaching behind the mount and accidentally pushed the release button and there it went bouncing down the road. :frown2: The good news was, it survived. Now for my question. What is the best way to teather the GPS to the bike? There do not seem to be any great places to attach a sticky pad. I am using the standard Garmin mount.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I just finished testing my Zumo 396 with the "bounce test." I was reaching behind the mount and accidentally pushed the release button and there it went bouncing down the road. :frown2: The good news was, it survived. Now for my question. What is the best way to teather the GPS to the bike? There do not seem to be any great places to attach a sticky pad. I am using the standard Garmin mount.
The best way to keep it on the mount is to keep your hands off the mount when riding. Why not get one of those sticky things like you see on computers? BTW my brother in law did the "bounce test" on a Garmin that was under warranty and called them and explained what happened to include saying he was't sure he put it in the mount properly and they replaced it free. His was a Zumo 665 when they still supported the unit.

Reactions: Breezly

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some idiot

The best way to keep it on the mount is to keep your hands off the mount when riding. Why not get one of those sticky things like you see on computers? BTW my brother in law did the "bounce test" on a Garmin that was under warranty and called them and explained what happened to include saying he was't sure he put it in the mount properly and they replaced it free. His was a Zumo 665 when they still supported the unit.
Well, some idiot put his remote heated gear controller right behind the GPS. . . .

Sorry, I'm not sure what sticky things you are talking about.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JB weld

How about a dab of JD weld and a small key ring?
JB Weld is not recommended to glue to a flexible cover, but that is a good idea. I'm thinking about gluing a nylon loop to the GPS and then connecting that to the RAM mount with a short tether cord. Hmmm.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Terry: they are kind of a string type thing that has a round area with glue on it so it can be stuck on something. Why can't you put a zip tie around it outside of the screen with a length of cord attached to another zip tie around the mount below the attachment point. Might be ugly but shouldn't let it fall off.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
JB Weld is not recommended to glue to a flexible cover, but that is a good idea. I'm thinking about gluing a nylon loop to the GPS and then connecting that to the RAM mount with a short tether cord. Hmmm.

I didn't realize that the case was a rubber type material. On my 660 is is hard plastic.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tether

Terry: they are kind of a string type thing that has a round area with glue on it so it can be stuck on something. Why can't you put a zip tie around it outside of the screen with a length of cord attached to another zip tie around the mount below the attachment point. Might be ugly but shouldn't let it fall off.
I think I'm going to give the tether that Sierra suggested a try. That is easy for me, as I already have one on my phone. I did not even think about that possibility.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts