GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've never used a GPS and I had a question regarding programming a trip.

I like to stay away from Interstates whenever possible, does the ZUMO software allow you to choose secondary roads as the preferred route?

Thanks for your help.

Gordon

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
The Zumo uses Mapsource, so yes, you can plan a route that uses your preferred road. The 'Avoid Interstates' function on the route preferences will not absolutely eliminate interstates from its' on-board routing.

You need to remember that if you don't use 'hard waypoints' to tag your preferred roads, if you go off-route, the unit will automatically recalculate a new route for you and it will ignore your preferred roads altogether.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jon, that leads to another question.

If the recalculation puts me back on the planned route will the GPS start to recognize my preferred road choices again?

Thanks Jon for helping us with your knowledge and eperience, I can only guess how much you're appreciated by all of us on this site that are GPS challenged.

Gordon

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
One of the ways that I've found some great roads is by telling the GPS to find the "shortest" route, rather than the "fastest." You do, however, have to be ready to turn around or ride some gravel once in awhile... :lol:

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
The GPS will recognize your preferred route if you have programed it in MapSource using enough waypoints. This means you must tag your route with the flag type waypoints to force your preference. If there are not waypoints for the Zumo to honor it will recalulate the route using one of the 3 available options: Faster Time, Shortest Distance or Off Road.

If a resulting recalculation puts you on a route you don't care to ride you can always add waypoints to the route on the unit to force your choices. This operation can be quite time consuming, especially if the route is long and complicated.

Some of the other Garmin units allow you to specify the kind of roads you want to navigate under a Custom Preferences menu item in the route calculation choices. I can't understand why Garmin left this option off of the Zumo.

Jon's Zumo pages may be of some interest to you, here is the link:

http://www.goldwinggadgets.com/Zumo/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts