GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not been using my zumo 550s xm. Instructions are sparse. What antenna(internal one?) are you using and where is it mounted. Pictures welcome. And where do you specifically have it connected. Are you satisfied with the sound?

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
There is no internal antenna for the 550 the only one is the GXM 30 it is rather large you will need a mounting bracket although you can fit it up above the speedo inside the shelf if you want it hidden, sound quality is good although I do recommend running the Zumo via an isolated cable

Found a video of a typical installation

·
Registered
109 Posts
Before u contact xm for service.....look around for deals and special offers.
I negotiated the price for years with them b4 I cancelled. They just don't offer much I cannot get for free with my smartphone.

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
I just installed a Zumo 665 on my ST1300A. After calling XM and inquiring on a possible short subscription, they offered me three months of XM/Weather free. No credit card, nothing. Very professional, which after hearing all of the horror stories, was unexpected. I'll be testing it on my 4000 mile ride to Alaska, leaving 0700 tomorrow morning. However, the volume is very low, even though I have it run up to 100%.` That weather map looks great!!!

On the Zumo 665, the external antenna is included, plus, it has a magnetic base, which works well on the steel gas tank of the ST. I will attempt to address that volume issue somewhere along the road.

·
Registered
19,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First thank you guys for the info. Second I really like the mount in the video. It looks to not be made anymore. Any one know any other mounts that look as clean and attach to the cradle?

·
Banned
2,968 Posts

·
Registered
19,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Pete

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I have a Zumo 550 mounted on the left handlebar on a RAM mount, and a GXM30 mounted on the right handlebar on a RAM mount. Works very well, no signal problems.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Garmin has discontinued the GXM30. It is very hard to find new, good luck.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Two things....

First Laen, and you probably already know this, but your Zumo550 will not receive XM without the GXM30 antenna because the GXM30 is the XM receiver (hence the astronomical price of $250) and the 550 is merely an interface.

Finally, these guys are correct in that it appears Garmin in their infinite wisdom has discontinued the GXM30 and they are very hard to find right now. All I can think is that they are phasing out the Zumo550. No other reason to get rid of the XM antenna makes sense, as the availability of XM drives some sales.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts