GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My two year old Zumo 550 is dead, really dead. The displays keep jumping around, the colors are off and the touch screen doesn't work. I've soft-booted, hard-booted, reloaded software, reloaded old software, cleaned the screen, used business cards to clean the cracks around the screen and still it doesn't work. I guess I have to send it to Garmin to be repaired. From reading their website it sounds like it's a $200 dollar minimum charge for repairs. Don't see how I have any alternative. My bike is all set up for this one with the bluetooth and mounts and everything so I don't really want to buy a different GPS. I'm kind of bummed that I spent that much money and only got two years use out of it. If anyone has any other suggestions from what I've tried I'd appreciate the info. I've been looking at the Zumo 550 website and haven't found any other ideas. :cry:

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Have you called them to see if they'll cover the repair under warranty? They've done it before for other units...

If not, I could take a look at it for you - there'd be nothing to lose (warranty-wise) at that point

G

·
0 Posts
Try ?

Try removing the SD card- you could get lucky... Did you try the reset? Hold power button and upper left button down at the same time for about 10 seconds ?? Worth a try.. Sorry your having problems... Did you get the "Square Trade" warranty ? Damn this is bad news... By chance did you try hooking it up to your pc and see if you can duplicate the problem ? Almost sounds like a faulty cradle... BUT im no tech... Just another concerned Zumo owner trying to help... Bill

My two year old Zumo 550 is dead, really dead. The displays keep jumping around, the colors are off and the touch screen doesn't work. I've soft-booted, hard-booted, reloaded software, reloaded old software, cleaned the screen, used business cards to clean the cracks around the screen and still it doesn't work. I guess I have to send it to Garmin to be repaired. From reading their website it sounds like it's a $200 dollar minimum charge for repairs. Don't see how I have any alternative. My bike is all set up for this one with the bluetooth and mounts and everything so I don't really want to buy a different GPS. I'm kind of bummed that I spent that much money and only got two years use out of it. If anyone has any other suggestions from what I've tried I'd appreciate the info. I've been looking at the Zumo 550 website and haven't found any other ideas. :cry:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Does it exhibit this problem when plugged into 12VDC or 115VAC?

Have you checked the battery contacts or tried it without the battery installed and plugged into external power?

Do other functions work [tools screens]?

Do the buttons on the left side work or is the screen wacky?

Have you tried cleaning the screen or recalibrating the touch sensors?

Garmin has a justifiably good customer service rep. Give them a call. It's toll free and they have some serious smarts there.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had not tried running it on a different power source so I pulled the battery off, kept the SD card out and plugged into the USB plug on my PC. The unit powers up but is stuck on the screen that says "Preparing to enter USB mass storage mode. Saving all waypoints. Routes and Trip Log information in GPX format: 1%". It doesn't go past the 1% no matter what buttons I push and my PC doesn't recognize it as being plugged in. I try pushing the cancel button on the GPS but the touch screen doesn't work. I tried holding down the power on button for a minute to bring up the calibration screen but it does nothing. The Zumo forum might help. I'll try that next.
Thanks for all your suggestions. :bow:

·
Registered
162 Posts
My Zumo is just under 2 years old, and is doing the same thing. I'm getting ready to send it in and pay the $200. When they get done it should have all the current software and maps on it. I have gone through Zumo forums and tried everything including opening it up to see if something was wrong inside.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
garmin may just suprise you and do it for free

I doubt that! Especially with a 2 year old Zumo. I had a cradle issue and there was no freebee there.:cool:

Good luck, the $200 is the way to go since it's a whole lot cheaper than shelling out $600-$900 for a new one.;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a Zumo 550 that was a little over 2 years old. I got it when they first came out in I believe 2006. Mine went out completely like you are saying. I called up Garmin and they tried a few things over the phone that I had already tried and finally they told me to send it to them. In about two weeks I received a new unit with the new 2009 map on it they did not charge me anything. I called them and asked them if they would send me the new mapsource 2009 DVD so that the one on my GPS and the one on my computer would match. They said OK and did not charge me anything. I have and great luck with Garmin. This was not the only time they have helped me out for no charge. I would give them a call.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yaaah:excited: I got an email back from Garmin and they are going to cover repairs under warranty. I gotta say I'm really surprised. I was ready to pay out the $200 and chalk it up to bad luck. Talk about good customer service:yes: I paid to ship it to them and they will cover the rest.

G

·
0 Posts
Customer Service

Great news. !!!!

Yaaah:excited: I got an email back from Garmin and they are going to cover repairs under warranty. I gotta say I'm really surprised. I was ready to pay out the $200 and chalk it up to bad luck. Talk about good customer service:yes: I paid to ship it to them and they will cover the rest.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Well instead you can send me the $200. :D I am glad they covered it under warranty. Hopefully they will do the same for me when the time comes around.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Well, I'll be a monkeys uncle. Good for you, glad they're gonna hook you up.:congrats:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just to put an end to the story, I got my Zumo back yesterday from the UPS guy. Garmin gave me a whole new unit (or refurbished) with the latest maps and program. Garmin really out-did themselves as far as customer service. I'm a happy camper. Now if my bike weren't in the shop with radiator problems, I could try it out on the bike. Oh well, win some, lose some. At least I'll have $200 more in my wallet to throw at the repairs on the cooling system.:shrug:

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have a Zumo 550 that was a little over 2 years old. I got it when they first came out in I believe 2006. Mine went out completely like you are saying. I called up Garmin and they tried a few things over the phone that I had already tried and finally they told me to send it to them. In about two weeks I received a new unit with the new 2009 map on it they did not charge me anything. I called them and asked them if they would send me the new mapsource 2009 DVD so that the one on my GPS and the one on my computer would match. They said OK and did not charge me anything. I have and great luck with Garmin. This was not the only time they have helped me out for no charge. I would give them a call.
My Zumo arrived at Garmin today, and they happily took my $200.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, Richman, I wonder why mine was covered under warranty and yours wasn't? Mine is just under 2 years old, maybe the cut-off is at two years.:shrug:

·
Registered
190 Posts
new wing

I just bought my first Wing and am wondering why everyone uses a Zumo instead of the built in NAV? Is it that bad?
I have a 550 on my VTX and can move it to the new ride. Need a bracket, hard wiring, etc. Seems like a lot of work and more stuff on the handle bars.
If I move it, do I use the XM on it or through the bike? I want to utilize the integrated sound system,

Thanks all

david

1 - 20 of 23 Posts