GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this GPS stuff is all new to me. I just got the zumo 550 and got it on and working to give me directions to a location.
What is the purpose of the City Navigator NT DVD that came with it? Do I need to load that on the computer and transfer something to the zumo? Is it for creating routes on the PC and transferring those to the zumo?

If I need to load it to the computer, is there a way to get it to a netbook that doesn't have a DVD drive without adding an external drive?

Thanks for any advise as I'm certainly behind the times with the GPS stuff.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
You do not need to load the software on to your PC unless you want to plan routes using the MapSource software and then transfer the routes to the Zumo.
However, in my opinion you will, and should want to do this. It greatly expands and extends the value of the GPS. Plus it's lots of fun. You can get started without it, but think about trying it.

To get the software on your laptop, think about getting an external drive. They're pretty cheap. But a cheaper way is to purchase a crossover cable and then you can set up your laptop with your desktop (or someone else's) to share the DVD drive in the desktop. You laptop will think it has a DVD drive.

Good luck and good routing.

·
Registered
466 Posts
snip

If I need to load it to the computer, is there a way to get it to a netbook that doesn't have a DVD drive without adding an external drive?

One way would be to have someone with a DVD drive upload the disk iso to an internet file transfer site. You could download it and then install it.

Another option would be to have a friend copy the disk to a thumb drive. You could then insert the drive into a USB port and install the files/program that way.

Those are a couple of ways.

Good luck with the 550. It's a nice unit.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the responses. Since my desktop doesn't have a DVD drive either, I think the best solution for me is to get the external drive. I can then use it for both the desktop and netbook.
Have just tried the 550 in the cage and it works great.

Should be really good whenever I get the chance to try it on the bike ...... but not likely today!!!

·
Registered
341 Posts
I would go to the site below they have tons of information on Zumo.

http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php
+1 !!

The zumoforums website is a *MUST* if you want to learn how to use your Zumo. It has been invaluable, especially in learning how to use the Mapsource program to manage routes and favorites. That application has the worst user interface I've ever seen, but with a few tricks it is actually a very capable program.

Enjoy the Zumo!! Remember too, it's a good copilot, but it is *not* an autopilot...

G

·
new Zumo user WELCOME !!!!

Are you aware that the Zumo will play its audio prompts thru the aux in the Wings stereo ???

Did you know that the Zumos mp3 players SD card is as simply as drag & drop your music files from your desktop ?

Zumos are awesome.......
anything I can help with just ask,

OK, this GPS stuff is all new to me. I just got the zumo 550 and got it on and working to give me directions to a location.
What is the purpose of the City Navigator NT DVD that came with it? Do I need to load that on the computer and transfer something to the zumo? Is it for creating routes on the PC and transferring those to the zumo?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts