GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had already Riding to Study Butte and wanted to plot for milage a route into Big Bend. Instead of going into the West entrance it plotted a route all the way around to the North entrance. So I tried again, and then slipped in some Vias. Three of them and it still took me all the way around to the north entrance and out the Gate to where we were almost sitting and then Back in. Once we got in the park it did ok.
Don't know why it wanted to go all the way around.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
It did that because it knew you were riding a Gold Wing and wanted to route you on the "long ride" instead of a shorter one. Now if you were on another brand bike you would have been routed on the shortest way possible. :lol: :lol:
Damn, those GPS units are smart. ;)

·
Registered
642 Posts
Perhaps the road through Big Bend is considered a toll road? Do you have it set to avoid toll roads?

Don't know for sure, just supposin'...

·
Registered
376 Posts
Can I guess too?

Did you ask the GPS to take you to Big Bend Park or to an address? If you asked it to take you to the park, it may have defaulted to a certain entrance. Some GPSs will take you to the city hall if you ask for directions to a city. Maybe it did something similar if you just asked it to take you to the park.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
garmin gave us a bum steer going to death valley in december

dead end gravel roads are just no fun

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was trying to make a route By browsing Map
I wanted to hit the Santa Elena Canyon which is on the west side of the park. We were north of there and I knew it wasnt' far and knew I could find it.
I just wanted to get a Milage for the Harley Guys. Didn't want them running out of gas. I might have had an avoid running come to think of it. Toll roads, and Autobahns for sure. Had them set to get me to Big Bend the most interesting way.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I don't have an answer to the "why" but it is on my list to discuss with Garmin.

Seems the software will do that will most of the large National Parks ie, Yellowstone, Death Valley, Big Bend, etc.

Mine has routed me 240 miles around Yellowstone to go 15 miles down the road!

·
Registered
341 Posts
I don't have an answer to the "why" but it is on my list to discuss with Garmin.

Seems the software will do that will most of the large National Parks ie, Yellowstone, Death Valley, Big Bend, etc.

Mine has routed me 240 miles around Yellowstone to go 15 miles down the road!
"Discuss with Garmin"? Let us know how that goes....

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
One thing for sure Bugs......

If you have to pick a place to have GPS problems and get lost.....

Big Bend ain't a bad choice!!!!!!:thumbup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts