GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used Garmin Zumo 550 from a member of this board. I used the motorcycle mount to mount it on my bike. There is a whine and engine noise over my helmet speakers when listening to music. If I take the GPS out of the mount and rub the pins in the mount and put the GPS back in the mount the whine decreases for awhile. I can also get the whine to improve if I use my hand to clamp down on the GPS causing the GPS to push down harder on the pins on the bottom of the mount. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a fix for it? Do I have any recourse with Garmin seeing that I bought the unit second hand?

Thanks in Advance;

Bill in the U.P.

·
Registered
602 Posts
About 4-6 wks ago I bought a new 550 via Amazon & noticed the "whine" when paired w/Edsets - also brand new.

I emailed both Garmin & Edsets about the whine.

Edsets emailed me back promptly, several times with tips; advice; etc.....

NEVER did hear from Garmin, PERIOD ! I registered my 550 online & used that opportunity to again raise the issue via their "comments" section. Same song, 2nd verse - zip reply !

Garmins' happy - they have my $$ - now they could care less...... Edsets happy - they have my $$ too, but wouldn't mind more, as-evidenced by their prompt, courteous replies !

adios - Dave - Missourahhhhhhhhhhhhh

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Where exactly did you tie the power wires to the GPS to the bike??

Doubt it is the GPS.

Most likely you are getting a ground loop effect.

Install a ground loop isolator or power filter inline before the GPS.

·
Registered
19,236 Posts

Doubt it is the GPS.

EC has a plug n Play GLI

·
Registered
602 Posts
The pwr source is the same pwr source that pwr'd my TomTom GPS for 3-4 yrs prior to the "arrival" of the 550.

Edsets gave me some different tips that I advised I'd try - once the mercury goes back down to at least double digits & I feel like tearing the bike apart again....

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Doubt it is the GPS.

Hmmmm. Because I can use mechanical pressure and get it to stop or change, it doesn't make sense that it is a ground issue. I could be wrong. I don't remember if I have a ground loop thing or not. No whine previously when I listened to my Ipod, XM, etc....

DW Taylor, I also have Edsets. Did you solve the whine with Ed's tips then?

Bill in the U.P.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Bill :

I haven't had the time to take my bike apart yet to try the remedy per Edsets. Been bizy @ work & mainly - it's too stinkin hot here ! I can live with the situation now - so - my repair project/attempts are "on hold" for the time being. Via caller ID - I "SEE" the incoming call & who it's from..... that's a great help in itself & lets me determine if I need to pull over & take the call -or- just hit redial once I reach my destination....

Dave

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
Put an isolator on the audio output side of the Garmin if you have a GLI on the power already thats great my 550 is noisy on every bike I have used it on and its always been on the output side i needed to correct

·
Registered
602 Posts
Thanks, Pete

BTW - I got one of the 1st BikeMP3 Players from ya several yrs ago....... Still couldn't be any happier with it's performance !

Dave

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Put an isolator on the audio output side of the Garmin if you have a GLI on the power already thats great my 550 is noisy on every bike I have used it on and its always been on the output side i needed to correct
Agree. This is a well documented issue with the 550. I use mine for XM also, and I still have it occasionally, but solved most of it with a GLI on the audio output.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts