GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I choose to activate my satalite radio through my zumo 550, do I have to buy the expensive Garmin antenna or can I get a cheaper aftermarket antenna? I have been told that to activate the system with the satalite radio company you need to give them the number on the back of the antenna, not the zumo number. Is that true?? Is that the way they keep you with the Garmin antenna.
I would appreciate any info or suggestions.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I believe the antenna is also the radio itself.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Zumo 550 & xm

If I choose to activate my satalite radio through my zumo 550, do I have to buy the expensive Garmin antenna or can I get a cheaper aftermarket antenna? I have been told that to activate the system with the satalite radio company you need to give them the number on the back of the antenna, not the zumo number. Is that true?? Is that the way they keep you with the Garmin antenna.
I would appreciate any info or suggestions.
To the best of my knowledge the XM accessory unit from Garmin, the GXM 30, is the XM antenna and receiver. You use the ZUMO as the "tuner". At least this is the way they seem to work on my 03 Wing, purchased so equipped a few years back. That probably explains the $250 price tag. On the upshot, both work very well.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
reconsidering!

OK, now I understand the system. I didn't realize that when I bought it, but satalite radio was not the reason I bought it anyway. I think I will just stick with my am-fm and mp3 card and skip the expense of the antenna and a subscription.

Thank you all for the info

·
Registered
109 Posts
Probably the best way to go. XM doesn't really offer anything you can't get for free with a smartphone or iPad and their customer service is lousy.
If you decide to buy an xm30.....used ones are readily available.
The zumo 665 includes the antenna but it drove me crazy with all of it's other problems so I dumped it. IMO 550 still their best bike specific GPS.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Zumo 550 & xm

OK, now I understand the system. I didn't realize that when I bought it, but satalite radio was not the reason I bought it anyway. I think I will just stick with my am-fm and mp3 card and skip the expense of the antenna and a subscription.

Thank you all for the info
If music is all you want then no it probably doesn't pay to opt in for the XM. However, my subscription includes local and regional weather information and that adds another dimension of use and convenience. I use the weather feature quite a bit when traveling cross-country. I can receive local reports and it's helpful to be able to "pan" across the screen ahead of my location to see what weather conditions lie ahead. Also if threatening weather conditions arrise, a weather alert icon pops up on a corner of the screen. Touching the icon opens a screen with more detailed information about the alert.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I have a Zumo 550 and GXM30. Great system. While I agree that, when in cell phone range, one can access Pandora, etc on a smartphone and get a comparable product for free, I frequently ride where there is no cell service. It is very nice to ride from San Antonio to anywhere, for as many days as I want, and always have multiple music choices, immediately available, without having to stop and adjust something. As always, YMMV.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts