GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Zumo 550 and it's been a real work horse of a unit. Has all the features I want and need and so far I have had very few issues. However was thinking of upgrading to something newer. I don't use a Bluetooth headset and don't want to, so using the headphone jack/ audio line-out works just fine for me. Was looking at the Zumo 590LM, so if you have one could you give me a review. Can't afford the latest and greatest Zumo 595LM and the Zumo 396LMT-S does not have the headphone jack/ audio line-out I want and need. Thanks folks.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
I can't help with the 590, but I will mention that Garmin is having a big sale on the 595LM. I just checked and new 595's are available for $499 if that helps.

I also know that Garmin may still have a Loyalty Buyer discount available. They couldn't help with support on my 550, but in order to keep a customer they offered me the 595LM for about $200 off list. At that time the list was about $690 IIRC, and they sold me on for $485. I jumped on it, and I like the 595LM.

The new price is lower though so the discount (if any) may be less.

Anyway, it's worth a shot!

Glen

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I have a 590LM and it is by far the best gps I have ever had. I had a 660LM before this one. As far as I know the 590 is no longer available new so I don't know what deal you are looking at but what Glen was talking about looks pretty good to me. If you can find a better deal on a 590. I would go for it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Like you I had a 550 for years and was very happy with it. After several failures, screen twice and buttons once I moved to the 590. Getting it used for a good price was instrumental which also included the tire pressure sensors. Surprisingly I like this 590 even better but even it has now suffered a button failure, patched at no cost by me. It is also a better looking unit in all black in my opinion and I prefer the size over the 550 or others. I also prefer the way it detaches from the base with just a press rather than the tool required 550. Looking forward to a new 800 or what ever in the future as I think one is due.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have had a Zumo 595 for a few years and am now just beginning to know its mind...with a lot of help from Garmin support (which is super, BTW).
From my conversation with them regarding "why does Zumo change my route when I upload it from my PC after carefully and artistically designing it on Tripplanner?" The answer was "not enough waypoints". Make a route with lots of waypoints and upload to the Garmin. Then, in the Garmin, change waypoints (which the Garmin will annouce to you expecting you to STOP at) to shaping points. Shaping points help the garmin to keep you on the desired route and won't expect you to stop at that point.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts