GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Zumo is a little over 2 years old, worked fine until Saturday , rode 12 miles to town and it seemed to be working fine but after a couple hours parked in town when I left to go home Zumo did not turn on, tried to turn it on manually but no luck, after getting home I tried moving it to other bike still wouldn’t turn on.
So I took the battery out and re installed it and it turned on but showed low battery so I installed it on the bike, it shows charging for about 1 minute then it shows a line through the battery but the GPS does keep working. So does this mean I need a new battery or what ?

·
Registered
20,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ray thanks for the link, I’m pretty much electrically challenged so most likely won’t be attempting to take that plug apart. But I might try bending the tabs a little with a pin. Everything looked perfectly clean to me but I already have tried spraying some contact cleaner in there. On eBay those batteries are crazy expensive like $30-$60 each ! I might try calling Garmin to see what they have to say about it.

·
Registered
20,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I called Garmin tech support and they are sending me a brandnew battery for free ! New battery should arrive in about 5 days. They told me if the new battery doesn’t solve the issues I should call again. Normally a new battery from Garmin costs $49. So far I am very happy with the support recieved from Garmin !

·
Registered
650 Posts
I didn't disassemble the connector. I just slightly bent the pins using a pin like you mentioned.
You may end up with your old battery working and a new spare.:grin2:

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Yeah, I just bought a new 595 a couple months ago to use on my new to me 2018 DCT Tour, and am having a similar problem. The battery doesn't seem to hold a charge. It will charge sitting on the desk or while riding. Less than a day later, with the unit off, the battery is almost completely discharged. I may give Garmin a call as well and see if the battery is a known issue.

I have got to say, I am less than impressed with this new Garmin. I have a 376c, a 378, a Garmin BMW Navigator V and two Zumo 665's. This one seems to be somewhat flaky. It has locked up on me on a trip where nothing worked and I had to remove the battery to reset it. The Bluetooth implementation is very erratic, sometimes it connects, sometimes it doesn't. I use two different Sena 20's, one regular and one EVO. It will work with the music advance on the Sena sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't. This leads to restarting the 595 once or twice to get it to connect properly. Sometimes when Bluetooth does connect it turns off the music player option and I have to go into the options to turn it back on. The Backlight isn't as great as they make it out to be, at least for me. It isn't as bright as either the 376c or the 378 and the brightness is comparable with the other three I have. I have had a few issues with downloading routes and deleting routes to be imported. Ok, I messed up one time and somehow had Basecamp load hundreds of routes into the 595. I tried to delete them all by using my Windows laptop and deleting the GPX directory (it works with every other unit I have). I was worried I was going to have to import them all in order to delete them. After trying numbers of times, it somehow finally bulk deleted them. But I don't know why it didn't the first time I tried. Keep in mind I have only had this for a couple months. I am worried that some of these problems will manifest themselves into bigger problems. It's just seems flaky.

I think if I had the option to send it back I would.

·
Registered
20,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lots of folks say the screen on the 595 is much improved over earlier models, my opinion Garmin went backwards not forward, the screen on my old 300,000+ mile Nuvi 1450 makes the 595 screen look terrible when you put them side by side.

·
Registered
20,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New battery arrived today, it’s been plugged in and supposedly charging for about 4 hours but it still doesn’t seem to be working properly, guess I will be calling Garmin again tomorrow to hear what they have to say, I suspect there is something wrong inside the GPS with whatever tells it to charge the battery.

·
Registered
20,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Jfink, its taken me several months to fully understand my 595. It's a different animal!
So maybe you could explain exactly what your supposed to see on the screen when the gps is turned on and the battery is charging ?

Does the battery charge when the gps is turned off and still connected to live power ?

·
Registered
20,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well in my case the new battery got the Zumo 595 working............for awhile like about 1 month, but then one day it was back to not turning on again, I have never tried bending the pins-contacts simply because even with a magnifying glass they are to hard for me to see decent. About a week ago I took the new battery out and put a drop of WD40 on the contacts, it now indicates charging like I believe it’s supposed to and it has fully charged the battery and seems to work perfect ! Will it keep working properly ? I don’t have much confidence but sure hope so !

·
Registered
20,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well today I foolishly tried putting the old battery back in to see if it would charge, NOPE it did not charge at all.
So I put the new battery back in and it’s back to not charging ether !
So I called Garmin, they offered to send a refurbished Zumo 595 for $160 with a 90 day warranty and I would have to ship my old one back to them.
So I let them know I wasn’t happy and they agreed to send me another free battery.
Guess I will have to wait and see what happens with the new battery but I ain’t expecting it will charge properly.
The Garmin tech I talked to claimed this was the first time he ever heard of a battery problem with a Zumo 595, of course I didn’t believe him.
Now I’m wishing I would have asked how much longer until the next model Zumo hits the market.

·
Registered
879 Posts
New WiFi capable Zumo's should be out in the near future according to guy i talked to. So you don't need a computer to download the map updates. Just WiFi from somewhere.

·
Registered
20,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
20,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
New WiFi capable Zumo's should be out in the near future according to guy i talked to. So you don't need a computer to download the map updates. Just WiFi from somewhere.
That would be great ! Have you heard anything about when the next model Zumo might hit the market ?

·
Registered
578 Posts
cycledude, why didn't you just stay with the 1450? I have had very good service from my 1450's and 1490's.

If the Zumo charging is similar to the 1450, you will probably have to have the GPS turned off for proper charging.

Is the Zumo battery necessary for operation when in it plugged into an external power source? The 1400 series GPS batteries do not need to hold a charge for the GPS to work on external power.

·
Registered
20,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cycledude, why didn't you just stay with the 1450? I have had very good service from my 1450's and 1490's.

If the Zumo charging is similar to the 1450, you will probably have to have the GPS turned off for proper charging.

Is the Zumo battery necessary for operation when in it plugged into an external power source? The 1400 series GPS batteries do not need to hold a charge for the GPS to work on external power.
The Nuvi 1450 was fine but wanted to put an end to using plastic bags to protect it from rain, And Also wanted the adventurous routing feature. Other than the crappy screen and this stupid battery issue I guess it’s acceptable.
595 and 1450 seem to charge about the same way but I believe the problem I’m having with the 595 is simply being caused by those tiny pins in the battery connector, the 1450 battery is not removable so it doesn’t have those tiny pin issues.
If the next new battery doesn’t fix it I will try bending the pins and if no success I will contact www.palmdoctor.com and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I am really disappointed with the screen brightness on the Zumo 595. Nuvi 2599 is twice as bright. Got tired of Ziploc bags also.
Battery life is a joke. Lucky to stay on 20 minutes without being plugged in.

·
Registered
20,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sent the 595 back to Garmin last week, they are supposed to be sending a refurbished 595 this week, had to pay $168.00 , I’m not happy but hopefully things will workout.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Well I called Garmin tech support and they are sending me a brandnew battery for free ! New battery should arrive in about 5 days. They told me if the new battery doesn’t solve the issues I should call again. Normally a new battery from Garmin costs $49. So far I am very happy with the support recieved from Garmin !
Folks, always call the manufacturer for help. Garmin has gratised me multiple replacement part kits: (1) and a Garmin power cord because I broke a bolt or lost a mount's top hat flange - no charge. Customer loyalty has value. I work for a consumer products manufacturer and our Customer Care team are empowered to take care of you.

ALWAYS ASK!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts