GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering purchasing a Zumo 650 and wondered if anybody can tell me if it can be used with the wired headsets or do you have to use the bluetooth headsets for it? Would also like to pair my smartphone and be able to use it with the wired headset. Also, the headsets we want to get are the EDsets.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
No you don't have to have bluetooth to hear it. It has a 3.5mm jack that goes to the audio plug under the left faring pocket. Then you can hear the GPS, Mp3, or XM if you get that, through the helmet speakers.
The 665 has the capability of showing weather radar. It is called Nav Weather and comes with the XM package. I don't think you can get it separate. I just have the basic music and the Nav weather. Nav traffic is also available as is a lot of sports channels that cost extra.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I am considering purchasing a Zumo 650 and wondered if anybody can tell me if it can be used with the wired headsets or do you have to use the bluetooth headsets for it? Would also like to pair my smartphone and be able to use it with the wired headset. Also, the headsets we want to get are the EDsets.

I have a Zumo 660 and like it and do not need XM or weather radar. I have the J&M Elite headset.

Make sure that you order the Edsets microphone splitter when you order your Edsets in order to be able to use your cell phone and speak through the microphone in your helmet.

A friend of mine says that he wishes that he had saved a lot of money and bought the 660 in lieu of the 665 because he gets better weather radar on his cell phone screen. He says that the Xm and his cell phone do not play well together and he has Edsets in his helmet.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Loved my 665 when it worked but it frustrated me to the point of selling it because it always had glitches....... and most XM service reps are horrible and XM doesn't sell much you cannot get for free with a smartphone.
Bought a Nuvi( never a problem) for a fraction of the cost and it functions just like the Zumo except it is not waterproof but that was an easy fix. Good luck.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I absolutely love my Zumo 665. I have had no problems with it at all. The NavWeather is great. It overlays on your route which makes it nice to see where it is in relation to where you are. Yes, you can do some of this with your cellphone. However, having a Droidx, the screen is smaller, the text is smaller, it's difficult to use with gloves, and there isn't a good solid mounting for a motorcycle with it. I like having XM and the Navweather and the bluetooth connection to the cellphone. For me, the cellphone isn't a good substitution yet.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info. I agree a lot of this is available on the smartphone but it is difficult to have right in front of you. Those that had issues with the 665, was it an early model? I have seen reviews where there were problems with the ones purchased in mid 2010 but not much with the ones purchased this year.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
They have done a lot to upgrade the software of the 665 to stabilize it. Initially mine had lots of reboots and shutoffs. 2 were sent back for suspected hardware problems, 1 was the reboots and the other was a sticking on-off button.

If your buying this unit just for the weather capability, don't. The NavWeather is not all that helpful when trying to drive around weather events. While on the weather screen, you can only see main roads (highways and 4 laners). Most secondary roads will not show when zoomed in, making it useless away from any large city.

A recent software upgrade really has me considering selling mine unless someone has come up with a work around. We now have to go to the Tools screen to activate any music source every time we start the unit up. Originally, it was bad enough having to hit the music icon on the map, but, now that doesn't even show up.

The 665 has issues and you should proceed cautiously. If you want an all in one GPS/XM radio/cellphone access/weather info, it is usable, just be forwarned that it does not do everything well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts