GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2008 GL1800
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used a y-splitter between the bikes OEM accessory plug in the left fairing pocket and the female plug on the Zumo harness. The Y-splitter had one un-used female plug and I plugged my MP3 player into that female plug.

When I have the GPS on the volume of the music from the MP3 player gets cut in half almost like it was muted but not entirely.

What would cause this and, am I hooking the MP3 player up wrong?

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
There is a male AUX plug in the left pocket that you should plug into your mp3player. Do not use a y connector into the Zumo unless you have a boosteroo and then it is not a good idea.

There is a plug under the seat on the port side that a cd player can be plugged into in order to control volume, cd #, track #, etc.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Also, make sure the volume on the Zumo is up to about 80-90% to be heard well enough over the AUX system.

Something else I noticed is to ensure the GPS is mounted prior to turning the ignition on and also ensure the Zumo is in Motorcycle mode. I had a volume issue once and when I shut the bike down and restarted, all was fine. I had mounted the GPS after the bike was running and it was in Automobile mode. It must not have swapped over when I plugged it into the mount.

·
Registered
2008 GL1800
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a male AUX plug in the left pocket that you should plug into your mp3player. Do not use a y connector into the Zumo unless you have a boosteroo and then it is not a good idea.

There is a plug under the seat on the port side that a cd player can be plugged into in order to control volume, cd #, track #, etc.

So, should the Zumo be the only device plugged into the male AUX plug in the left pocket?

What king of plug is under the seat? Can I plug the mp3 device into it or do I need a special wire or harness?

·
Registered
2008 GL1800
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, make sure the volume on the Zumo is up to about 80-90% to be heard well enough over the AUX system.

Something else I noticed is to ensure the GPS is mounted prior to turning the ignition on and also ensure the Zumo is in Motorcycle mode. I had a volume issue once and when I shut the bike down and restarted, all was fine. I had mounted the GPS after the bike was running and it was in Automobile mode. It must not have swapped over when I plugged it into the mount.
I can hear the GPS just fine over the music but I need to turn the volume for the music almost to the max to hear it. When I mount the GPS doesn't seem to matter and I do have it in bike mode. Thanks for the tips though.

·
Registered
2008 GL1800
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm wonderng if the BikeMP3 2011 would take care of my issues and give me a better sound system.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I'm wonderng if the BikeMP3 2011 would take care of my issues and give me a better sound system.

Yes, the BikeMP3 player is very good. Go to their website and watch the video for installing the MP3 player and you will see which connector, under the seat, port side, that I was referring to. You will then be able to control your selections from the left handlebar grip area just like you would be able to control the Honda OEM CD player.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
So, should the Zumo be the only device plugged into the male AUX plug in the left pocket? That is correct.

What king of plug is under the seat? That connector under the seat if there to connect either the Honda OEM CD player or the one that bikemp3 sells. See my link to see the device and scroll down and click on the video to watch the very simple installation. Can I plug the mp3 device into it or do I need a special wire or harness? You need the Honda OEM cd player or the bikemp3 player. Click on my link to see it

http://www.bikemp3.com/GL1800-Digital-Music-Player-V3-HGW-IPD-V03.htm

·
Registered
2008 GL1800
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Grandpawinger, thanks for the link. This does look like the best way to go if I want to use an MP3 player.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Same issue

I have the same issue as Winger Dan while trying to use a "Y" splitter on the Aux jack to listen to both the Zumo 660 and the iPod. It seems that the GPS soaks up a lot of the ipod's volume. When I unplugged the GPS from the "y" splitter, the volume on the ipod was normal and it is also normal if the GPS is plugged in but not turned on. Once the GPS is turned on the volume on the ipod is muted. I am not enough of an electrical wizard to know how to deal with it so I appreciate all of the advise that was meant for Winger Dan.
Jim

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just a curious question: Is there a specific need that your not using the built in mp3 capabilities of the zumo 660?

John

·
Registered
184 Posts
Bigger library

The 8 GB micro chip on the Zumo will only hold about 800 songs. I have over 2700 songs on my iPod. On a multiday trip I started hearing the same songs again on the Zumo. I like a lot of variety.
Jim

·
Registered
2008 GL1800
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a curious question: Is there a specific need that your not using the built in mp3 capabilities of the zumo 660?

John
I've been reluctant to use the GPS for MP3 use because of some of the postings I've read about the GPS locking up or having other issues and the poster mentioned also using MP3.

I'm also thinking this is not a wide spread problem but I still don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about it. LOL

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
old thread but here's why

WingerDan, the mp3's player sound volume drops because of an impedance mismatch - the audio driver on the mp3 player is unable to supply the lowered impedance of trying to supply both the aux input and sending the audio to the gps. Sort of like using your garden hose - when you've got the sprayer partially open you've got plenty of pressure, but when you fully open the sprayer the pressure drops because the hose can't keep up with the demand. Not the best analogy, but it works. Yes, the gps is an audio out, not in, but it loads down the system as the designers made it with a low-impedance driver circuit. They didn't design it for someone to try and send a signal into it since the unit has a mp3 player in it. Most designers do not plan on multiple sources to one input, just some units do it better than others.

Echoing Grampawinger - the bikemp3 player is an excellent solution. And the biggest benefit is it allows you to control the player from the stock handlebar controls. Love mine, especially with helmet headset.

·
Registered
501 Posts
FLAWINGER, I use the MP3 player on my Garmin 765t with a 4GB SD card and I get almost 1,000 files (songs) on the SD card.
are you sure about the number you're getting on there? The MP3 player feature is one of the features I love about the Garmin. I even use it for the mP3 player in my car.
Even so, since 4GB cards are about $5.00 each, I have 10 or so of them so I can change the kind of music I'm listening to just by changing SD cards.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The 8 GB micro chip on the Zumo will only hold about 800 songs. I have over 2700 songs on my iPod. On a multiday trip I started hearing the same songs again on the Zumo. I like a lot of variety.
Jim
Ok.. Hadn't though of 50 + hours would not be enough. I can understand the desire to have more variety. Well I guess that since I have XM for when the tastes change I had not considered the available storage an issues. Hmmmm...

Thanks Jim!!

I've been reluctant to use the GPS for MP3 use because of some of the postings I've read about the GPS locking up or having other issues and the poster mentioned also using MP3.

I'm also thinking this is not a wide spread problem but I still don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about it. LOL
Hmmm that's a first for me at least. I'll have to keep that in mind. In the mean time I use my 660 GPS all the time with the unit playing my favorite MP3s without issues.

Thanks Dan!

John

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have a 16gb micro sd card in my zumo 660. I've never had a problem with the gps freezing up. If you want to use a separate mp3 player on the aux input you need a Kennedy Cellset device to split the audio. If you use one of the mp3 players that plugs into the bike CD connector under the seat you will not be able to hear the GPS prompts and listen to the mp3 at the same time. The GPS is on the aux input and the mp3 player is on the CD input. You can work around this by connecting the GPS to the intercom, but this requires another expensive solution from Kennedy Cellset.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
I've used the 660 with mp3 player for over a year and not had any problems! Music and GPS directions are both loud and clear! An awesome unit! :thumbup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts