GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I received an email from Garmin about updating the Maps that instructed me to connect the unit to a computer to check for updates.
Pryor to doing this I have never had a problem with the Zumo from the time I purchased it back on 2009.
After doing the update check and loading the firmware update it found I now get a message that says Close Battery Door.
Not sure if it has anything to do with the update and seriously doubt it does but has anyone else had a problem with the Battery door?
Could it be with age the battery has swollen slightly and preventing the door to latch completely?
I will call Garmin to get their suggestions next week.
Thanks
Cableman

·
Registered
26 Posts
Battery door

My experience is that the 660 update has gone as far as it can and needs the batt door closed so it can re-boot.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The battery door needs to be latched. There's a thin gasket that makes it water tight, so you need to press it hard so the it latches, then the zumo will boot up.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Battery Door is seated properly and has been presed as firmly as I can.
Gasket looks to be in good shape and not obstructing anything too.
Door latch release is returning to the fully closed position.
It acts like whatever is in the latch that is supposed to tell it it is there is not making contact somewhere but I cant see any sort of switch down in there or anything I could manualy operate to check it.
If I attach it to the car cradle it will boot up and operate normaly.
When I put it in the bike cradle it would not boot up.
Not sure what the difference is ?????
Still have not had a chance to call Garmin.
Thanks for the suggestions so far

·
Registered
927 Posts
Cableman

I got this from the Zumo forum:

Ken H.

• Zumo Assistant
  • Your Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: 660 and USB Port With the Battery Door On?

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 08:38:54 AM »

"Well I rather answered my question myself with some experimenting... I took a small magnet and with the door off and the magnet held near the location where the door’s magnet is when the door is in place, the unit goes into normal mode (thinks the door is on, “Close Battery Door” message goes away).

While the magnet is there and the USB port is then connected to the PC it goes into its connected mode and works with the PC as expected.

So yes, the USB port is still active when the door is on. So the idea of drilling a hole in a door to access the USB port without having to remove the door will work. Now I just need to get another door!"

The 665 is the same way. Perhaps your magnet is weak of fell off. You can test this with a small magnet.

Ken

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Received an email reply back from Garmin that because the unit is out of warranty I would need to return it for repair/replacement for a flat fee of 160.00.
Because I don't have the money to spare at the moment looks like I will live with it for a while as it works OK while in the cradle.
I checked the door and don't see a magnet.
There is a hole on the end that has the USB connector but I don't know if it is related to a magnet or not it appears empty.
If someone has the time and could look at a 660/665 to see if you can locate the magnet let me know its location and if possible post a picture of it that would be great and much appreciated.
Thanks
cableman

·
Registered
927 Posts
Cableman
I have a 665 not a 660 but I still think that you are missing the tiny magnet in the battery door. The following are pics of my 665.

The tiny magnet shown in the last picture works on my 665 if I want to run it without the battery door in place. I don't know if they are the same but I am sure I seen have battery doors for the 665 for sale on the web for about $6-7 + shipping. If you PM me with your address I will sent you for free one of the tiny magnets and you can see if it works. Just hold the magnet with your finger in the area where the hole in your door would be and see if you get a normal start up. If you do then just take a Dremel tool and carve out a space where the missing magnet should be and glue the replacement in.

Ken

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well if this dont beat all

Thanks to some very wonderful help from this forum I was able to diagnose my problem as a missing magnet in the Battery door and located a replacement from GPS City.
New door arrived last week and installed working like a champ untill today.
I was working in one of our hub sites for about 15 minutes and when I come out the passenger side door lock has beel pryed out and the only thing missing in the truck yep ya got it MY GPS
Atlanta PD has a report but I doubt if I ever see it again.
Back to saving my pennies maybe I will be able to replace it in about a year or so. I am NOT a HAPPY CAMPER

1 - 9 of 9 Posts