GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a used Zumo 665 which I plan on using to replace my ancient Nuvi 765T. I think it will end up being a backup for now so I am hesitant to wire up the motorcycle cradle that came with it as the cords are a bit long and bulky for my purpose. I did find that there is a mor compact way using the automotive cradle which I can plug in the GXM 40 XM antenna into the back and surprisingly, I can still use the traffic receiver charging cord that I have for my Nuvi 765T. I haven't tried it yet but using that cord and the automotive cradle is supposed to allow me to get traffic data on the Zumo 665. I had also wanted this particular GPS because with the GXM 40 antenna, I am able to get weather alerts and data which I couldnt get on the 765T. When I got this, I did a complete factory reset to remove any of the PO data. Surprisingly when checking it last night, I was receiving XM Weather data which I thought I would need a subscription to get. I was originally planning on signing up with SiriusXM for weather and traffic. But since it seems I can already receive weather, I'm hesitant to call and add XM traffic. And since I have lifetime FM traffic through the GTM 20 traffic reciever charger I already have, I am tempted to go that route as well.

So with those that get traffic data, is there any advantage with XM traffic over FM traffic or am I better off just saving my money?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Having used XM and FM traffic, free FM was good in most large cities (traveling for work). Later discovering Waze that has been better yet. The XM weather alerts were great and once warned me of a blizzard at my destination (driving cage). XM was nice to have a favorite station cross country, but the DJ/commercials and cost drove me away.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Having used XM and FM traffic, free FM was good in most large cities (traveling for work). Later discovering Waze that has been better yet. The XM weather alerts were great and once warned me of a blizzard at my destination (driving cage). XM was nice to have a favorite station cross country, but the DJ/commercials and cost drove me away.
I too prefer Waze and usually use that via my phone when traveling. I keep a Garmin gps with me just as a backup in case something goes wrong with the phone navigation. I do have the factory navigation on the bike in a pinch but prefer the phone first and then the Garmin. And I never really liked the sound quality of XM music. I will only occasionally try it if it's free. I have quite a few MP3 tunes loaded up on the phone and that is normally what I listen too. I think I will just stick to the FM traffic since it's free anyway then. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
If you're using a phone and Waze of GMaps, save your money. My experience is very dated, but the XM traffic was a bit better than FM but well below what Google knows. Even with the more current newer app-driven Garmin stuff (Smartphone Link, etc.) it's behind Google.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts