GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently bought a Zumo 550. While looking at mounting options I found a dash mount from VPaccessories.com. Has anybody used this for their Zumo? Like the idea of mounting it in line of sight. Thoughts or opinions?

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Greetings!

I have a different dash mount, but in general I really like having the Zumo up on the dash. Putting it on the handlebars with a RAM mount diverts your attention from the road way too much for me.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Their gps mounts that are pictured will not hold your Zumo 550, but if you scroll down a few more pictures you will see a Radar Detector Holder.

That can be used as a base to connect the mount that comes with your 550. Myself and a buddy have each mounted our Zumo 660 to the dash using the radar detector holder and the ram mount that comes included with the 660.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey Lee, would you mind sharing the type mount you have? My Zumo is currently mounted to the handlebar with the ever present Ram mounts and I've been looking for something to move it to the dash. I looked at the mount from VPaccessories mentioned above and the Zumo is not listed on thier application list. Thanks.

Mike

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Unfortunately, the dash mount I have is no longer produced. A forum member named Jon used to build them and sell them. It's a shame because it is a really nice design.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Many months ago Jon mentioned he had a couple of the dash mounts on hand.

i used jon's mount on my 2004 bike. Very nice product, 2610 Garmin was right where I wanted it

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've been thinking of moving my Garmin 1450 from the dash (windshield) to the handle bars simply because the windshield shakes too much which makes looking at the Garmin a problem. I noticed the bars do not shake near as much.

Have any of you tried both and if so what are your preferences?

·
Registered
732 Posts
I'm using the left side Ram mount with a 360 degree swivel mount which gives me a lot of variation to the angle of the unit. I found that the regular ram mount did not allow for me to get the unit positioned where I wanted it.

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-plastic-twist-arm-b-socket-rap-b-200-12u.html

Antoher idea that has been posted here before is the ram mount installed on the center line which I may try in the near future.

Here's a link to that thread...

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277239

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Here is what my Zumo 660 looks like mounted with the ram mount that is included with the 660 and the VP Accessories Radar Detector Holder, plus an additional base www.ram-mount.com .

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
It is called a Radar Detector Holder from http://www.vpaccessories.com/1800.htm scroll down the list of accessories shown at this link to find it.

You'll also need a Ram mount to connect to the top of the Radar Detector Holder from www.ram-mount.com There are a few choices. The one shown in my picture matches the one Garmin provides in the Zumo 660 box.

The Radar Detector Holder is further stabilized to the dash by drilling a hole beneath the Radar Detector Holder and screwing in a thumb screw into that hole so that the thumb screw makes contact with the dash's underside. You can see a bit of the silver thumb screw in my picture right above the fuel gauge red needle.

Finally, Velcro is used to secure the Radar Detector Holder's front "foot" as shown in my picture.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts