GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a cheaper alternative to the expensive $250.00 antenna that Garmin says you need? :?: I don't need the traffic function, only the radio feature.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Nope - just like there's no alternative to Honda's integrated CB. The receiver is in the antenna and Garmin doesn't need to sell them for a loss like they do the regular XM radios.

·
Registered
319 Posts
bmmr said:
Is there a cheaper alternative to the expensive $250.00 antenna that Garmin says you need? :?: I don't need the traffic function, only the radio feature.
Just a couple of points to add should you be inclined to consider them:

(1) The GXM-30 IS the actual XM radio receiver (the Zumo is merely the interface), which also contains an antenna -- this is predominately why it seems a bit pricey;

(2) You CAN purchase a GXM-30 for under $200 (as I did at Comp-U-Plus); and

(3) If you did acquire a GXM-30 you certainly don't have to invoke (via a $3.99/mo. subscription) the NavTraffic component.

Otherwise, if you want your XM integrated conveniently with your Zumo, as Jon says, it can only be done with a GXM-30. Of course you could obtain a separate and autonomous satellite radio -- but regrettably, this is not without it's inherent downsides. OK, the ball's in your court now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts