GL1800Riders Forums banner

Zumo / Cellphone question

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  uneasyrider 
#1 ·
I have the audio out of my Zumo connected to my Autocom AVi system, the voice prompts, the MP3 player and the bluetooth paired cell phone work great with one exception. I can hear a caller on my cellphone when they call me but they cannot hear me. If I were to purchase the Garmin microphone and properly install it in my helmet would the caller then be able to hear me?

Has anyone else had this issue and if so how have you resolved it?

Thanks in advance,

Wayne

#2 ·
It's just how I explained before: there is no connection between the autocom unit and the microphone input on the Zumo, so there's no way they could hear you.

You need to connect the phone plug on your autocom to the Mic input connector (the top one) on the Zumo cradle. You'll need a custom cable to do it though, since the jack on the autocom is a 3/32" stereo connector and the jack on the Zumo is a 3/32" mono socket.

#4 ·
DubT said:
I have the audio out of my Zumo connected to my Autocom AVi system, the voice prompts, the MP3 player and the bluetooth paired cell phone work great with one exception. I can hear a caller on my cellphone when they call me but they cannot hear me. If I were to purchase the Garmin microphone and properly install it in my helmet would the caller then be able to hear me?

Has anyone else had this issue and if so how have you resolved it?

Thanks in advance,

Wayne
I called AutocomAmerica about this last week and they are already working up a cable. I would gues that it will have ground loop isolation on it since they recomend that for any bike powered item connected to there product.

You could make the cable yourself and plug it into the cell phone input (input #1) but that would be a pita if they are going to bring one out soon.

#6 ·
uneasyrider said:
I called AutocomAmerica about this last week and they are already working up a cable. I would gues that it will have ground loop isolation on it since they recomend that for any bike powered item connected to there product.

You could make the cable yourself and plug it into the cell phone input (input #1) but that would be a pita if they are going to bring one out soon.
I hope I don't hijack DubT's post too much, but just a thought from my experience. I have an Autocom myself and totally agree that whatever they produce (base products, cables/accessories, etc.) are and will be first rate, but as far as the cables are concerned, sometimes it pays to shop around when you're considering one from Autocom. Where it comes to their proprietary cables you're often stuck with them -- and they do seem to take advantage and charge anywhere from $29 to $59 or so. But for something like a standard mono mini-plug or micro-mini to the same or similar, I'm betting that one might be able to get it more inexpensively at traditional electronics shops (brick 'n mortar or internet). Of course if some type of ground loop isolator is required there's that variable. I'm just saying it's pretty obvious most of us on this board have a few bucks in our pockets at this stage in our lives but I don't want to negate that advantage by spending too frivolously if I can find it cheaper.

Otherwise, great info there uneasyrider; please keep us informed. Er, uh, I'll probably end up getting it. :roll: [I know, "hypocrite." Guilty :roll: ] I mean geez, I've gone THIS far....

#7 ·
Embresso, the problem will be that the cable he needs is a 3.5mm 4 pole that splits to a 3.5mm 3 pole and a 2.5mm 2 pole with all the connections in the right spots. Those high dollar connections have ground loop isolators with them. I paid $8.50 for an Autocom 6.5 foot audio cable for the Zumo as a temporary solution.

If you need any Autocom stuff there is a group buy on the ST1300owners.net site through BMW of Dallas that gets you 15% off and $5.00 shipping on any item or items.

#8 ·
uneasyrider said:
Embresso, the problem will be that the cable he needs is a 3.5mm 4 pole that splits to a 3.5mm 3 pole and a 2.5mm 2 pole with all the connections in the right spots. Those high dollar connections have ground loop isolators with them. I paid $8.50 for an Autocom 6.5 foot audio cable for the Zumo as a temporary solution.

If you need any Autocom stuff there is a group buy on the ST1300owners.net site through BMW of Dallas that gets you 15% off and $5.00 shipping on any item or items.
OK -- obviously I didn't understand the nuance of what was actually involved. Thanks for the education. Now if I ONLY had a brain to retain this info tomorrow... :oops:

And thanks dropping a dime on the ST1300/Autocom connection (no pun intended).

#11 ·
Here is an immediate solution from AutocomAmerica:

Bob,
we do not have a specific cable available for the zumo, we do have a setup that will work though. You will need:

Part# 1314 plugged into Aux 2 This is the isolated music lead that plugs into audio out on Zumo
Part#1238 Plugged into Aux 1 This is the mic in lead for Zumo

Sincerely,
Chris Gallagher

TopGear Accessories, LTD
Tech Support
888-851-4327
518-449-8876 - FAX
chris.gallagher@topgearmail.com

The 1238 is the standard cell phone lead that comes with the Autocom Kits and it will work. The standard audio cable is hit or mis by bike and wiring, without the isolation.

I ordered the 2 meter cables for each as opposed to the standard 1.5 meters to make my installation location work.

Just a side note, Chris told me that AutocomAmerica has had a Zumo in hand for 6 weeks and has had plenty of time to test this stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.