GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now as you might already know I'm sold on the Zumo myself and for my own reasons. If you are happy with your 2820, Magellan, Iway or whatever else, fine. But for those who DO want to explore the Zumo a little more, I was just perusing the internet today and happened upon a couple of interesting finds. I don't know how well developed, accurate, or what ultimate meaning they may have, but they are out there. If I might toss us all a little bone or two, here's what I found:

1. A DRAFT Zumo 550 Owners Manual from Garmin. Just do a Google search, you'll find it. They certainly are missing some info and it is my understanding that they did a word search and replace from another manual (probably a nuvi), so some info may pertain to a different GPS and may not be accurate. However there AREpics and descriptions of probably 80% of what the Zumo offers -- otherwise I am certain it will still become more fleshed out. I have no idea where the originator got the manual (although I'd LIKE to know) but obviously it's authentic. Accordingly, I don't know if this is supposed to be made available so I am only telling you to locate it yourselves; like I said, I just stumbled on it myself.

2. Multiple Via Point Screens. I may be naive, but I've never heard of this "Chet's Corner" of Garmin technical "blogs" on the Garmin website. I can't really tell you what a "blog" is even... Anyway, in this link he answers a question by stating that the Zumo WILL allow multiple via points. [SEE question/answer #2], and in this link -- http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2006/ ... verwh.html -- shows the following example screens:

I hope this is of some help. I am NOT a "power user" -- I'm sure I won't use multiple via points or trackbacks or logs (whatever they're called or whatever they're for) but just want to upgrade my SPIII to a more technically advanced and nicer Garmin GPS that is truly head and shoulders more motorcycle-friendly than my SPIII. This post is for Zumo enthusiasts specifically and GPS enthusiasts generally who might find it of interest and not meant to compare the GPS YOU like against this or any other. Anyway, if this then is for you, ENJOY! :D

·
Registered
293 Posts
Appreciate the post.
I did the search and sure enough; there is a pdf of the draft manual. Looks like it was intended for "internal use only" so who knows how accurate it is. It looks like it was part of a submittal to the U.S. govt, particulary the FCC for review.... Not sure how it got leaked out, but I downloaded it :lol: :lol:

I put one on order myself from Star Marine a couple of days ago....kinda lookin' forward to this little gadget.... My wife will kill me, but thats ok.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Well, it kind of confirms a couple of issues for me:
  • No customization capability of the data screens/tabs, so you get what they give you (even less than the 2720's limited customization - no tab modifications, no elevation, voltage or advanced trip info, etc...)

Auto-recalculation only of a changed route - no prompt or disallow options. This will affect your MapSource-planned routes since the Zumo will determine its' own best route to your next 'hard' waypoint. Any 'soft waypoints' or 'mappoints' used in the route-planning process to force the route to follow specific roads will be discarded when the unit recalculates (like if you get off-route to get gas). This is a big deal if you plan on doing much detailed route planning - you'll have to create alot more hard waypoints than you're probably used to...

·
Registered
478 Posts
mbresso said:
Now as you might already know I'm sold on the Zumo myself and for my own reasons. If you are happy with your 2820, Magellan, Iway or whatever else, fine. But for those who DO want to explore the Zumo a little more, I was just perusing the internet today and happened upon a couple of interesting finds. I don't know how well developed, accurate, or what ultimate meaning they may have, but they are out there. If I might toss us all a little bone or two, here's what I found:

I hope this is of some help. I am NOT a "power user" -- I'm sure I won't use multiple via points or trackbacks or logs (whatever they're called or whatever they're for) but just want to upgrade my SPIII to a more technically advanced and nicer Garmin GPS that is truly head and shoulders more motorcycle-friendly than my SPIII. This post is for Zumo enthusiasts specifically and GPS enthusiasts generally who might find it of interest and not meant to compare the GPS YOU like against this or any other. Anyway, if this then is for you, ENJOY! :D
mbresso - has your vendor given you a ship date for your unit? I am counting on your review tooooooo!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
twohondas said:
mbresso - has your vendor given you a ship date for your unit? I am counting on your review tooooooo!
No, they are mute. But inasmuch as I'm seeing a trickle of them go to European and some American reviewers or demo conventions, I'm getting more convinced (and I was skeptical before) that Garmin WILL release it for shipping in October as planned and that I'll have it in a couple or three weeks. I've seen October 18th as a pivotal date in several places on the internet but otherwise have no personal knowledge of the exact date. It's all very mercurial; I have patience.

And not to let you down, but honestly, I'm just a guy who uses a GPS on his bike and in his car to get to places I'm not familiar with. My SPIII works fine for I'm just "rewarding" myself with this upgraded toy and am sure I will be intrinsically happy with it. I am not a professional GPS user and would then only have the SPIII to compare it to personally. There ARE however, others on this board that might very well be fully versed in all the nuts and bolts of each operation and whose opinion might carry much more weight than mine. My mission here is really just to share info I discover that other prospective purchasers might find illuminating. After it comes out and I have mine, I'm more or less GONE! I mean HEY, I don't even OWN a 'Wing (have the VTX Retro), but of course this board has folks with superior intelligence and electronics-gadgets knowledge, so that's why I drop by (in this forum only) from time to time.

Those disclaimers aside, I'd be happy to chime in and report if I personally like it, how bright or operational it is, or answer any specific questions to the extent they pertain to simple common-use features. I won't cut and run entirely so won't completely pull the rug out from underneath you guys either! :wink: I'd also like to add that there is currently a Zumo 550 Yahoo Groups forum and I'd suppose there are other GPS-only forums that would have a number of dedicated Zumo users providing input. But since a lot of people will use the Zumo exclusively in their cars too, I do recognize the special significance of receiving input from those who own this particular model on an HDL-sponsored (or other) MC board.

Geez, can I NOT just give 1 or 2-sentence answers? What a pompous pontificator I am. :shock:

Mike

·
Registered
478 Posts
mbresso said:
Geez, can I NOT just give 1 or 2-sentence answers? What a pompous pontificator I am. :shock:

Mike
I forgive you - :D And make sure your review is longer than 2 sentences!!!!!!!!!!

I believe I am in the same boat as your are but I just boarded and have no pracitical experience with these machines since I drove a Destroyer around in the Indian Ocean some years ago.

Thanks and keep the info flowing!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW, somebody in the Zumo 550 Yahoo Groups said that draft was in fact that of the SP550 with a lot of missing [and barely modified; info at odds with actual product, etc.] information. At least I know it's good for a few pictures we've never seen... :wink:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Mike, I am in the same boat as you. I plan on upgrading from the Street Pilot III. So am hoping for good reviews on the Zumo. Looks like it will be a good addition.

Bill

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
billwild said:
Mike, I am in the same boat as you. I plan on upgrading from the Street Pilot III. So am hoping for good reviews on the Zumo. Looks like it will be a good addition.

Bill
Well, if it does what it says it does, and the features as advertised are actually there -- and I don't know whey it wouldn't or they wouldn't be, respectively, then as it is already a Garmin, it should prove to be an outstanding GPS, especially if you are (like me) upgrading from the SPIII. I plan on appreciating and having lots of fun with every feature it possesses!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts