GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had several Garmin units and am considering getting a Zumo.

Questions: Is the Zumo a dummied down? Will it hold multiple routes? Is the route planning done in Mapsource? Will it hold tracks, if so how may points? Can you download and store tracks from the unit onto your PC or just import into the web based program ? Can you upload old tracks from your PC so you can follow them:?:

The specs do not address these questions.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
gar01821 said:
...Questions: Is the Zumo a dummied down?
It depends on what you mean by 'dummied down' and what you're used to. It appears to be very similar to the c550 in its' firmware, which means you won't have the flexibility that you would have with a 2610 or even a 2720 for example. I would consider that based on what's been released so far (including the preliminary 'draft' manual) that it is dumbed down.

Will it hold multiple routes?
Yes, it appears to store up to 50 routes with up to 200 waypoints/route (with a total of 500 waypoints)

Is the route planning done in Mapsource?
Yes, MapSource is included in the package

Will it hold tracks, if so how may points? Can you download and store tracks from the unit onto your PC or just import into the web based program ? Can you upload old tracks from your PC so you can follow them?
Yes, it will store track points (actually called a 'trip log'), but we don't know for sure if it's limited like they are in the 276/376 class (these units can only hold 1,000 points per log file with up to 15 log files for a total of 10,000 points). They haven't really expanded on how these track files would be utilized except for the Google Earth examples.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jon

Thanks for your response. BTW I have bought both your dash mount and the Kennedy hookups for my Quest 2 from you and they work great! My point of reference as to the dummied down question is the old V and the new Quest 2. I would hope that the Zumo will have the route and tracking functions of those older units? I guess that we will have to wait until the unit ships and we can ask specific questions.

·
Registered
871 Posts
What concerns me is when you compare two products on the Garmin website, it shows the loaded base map as "Americas Autoroute" on the 2820 and something called "Americas Lite Routable" on the Zumo 550.

If you click on the description for both products you see that significant detail is left off the "Lite" version

I'm not sure what Garmin was thinking here...

Lance

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Themobb said:
... If you click on the description for both products you see that significant detail is left off the "Lite" version

I'm not sure what Garmin was thinking here...
Fuzzy & I were discussing this in chat the other night and trying to determine the impact of a reduced-detail basemap on a unit that includes detailed maps pre-loaded on the units' internal memory.

It appears that the basemap data is used when you zoom out beyond a specific scale value. If you're in an area without coverage, you'll lose map detail. Here's the feature list for the 'America's Routable Basemap' included with most of their automotive units with the features that are missing from the 'America's Lite Routeable Basemap' that is included in the Zumo highlighted in Red.

• Standard map coverage includes:[list:24u2mwdh]Oceans, rivers, and lakes (greater than 30 sq. miles)
    Principal cities and a small amount of smaller cities and towns
    Major interstates and principal highways
    Political boundaries (state and international borders)
    Railroads
    Major Airports

• A. United States—In addition to the standard map coverage, it also includes:[list:24u2mwdh]1. Small lakes, major streams, and rivers
    2. Principal urban areas (including Alaska and Hawaii)
    3. National- and State-level roads
    4. Many local roads in or near urban areas
    5. More detailed coastline
    6. Airports
    7. A database of exits for the Federal Interstate highway system. This includes many businesses within about ¼ mile of the exit, including: restaurants, diesel/gas, hotels/lodging, overnight RV parking, dumps, campgrounds, truckstops, medical facilities, shopping and outlet malls, ATMs, and many more attractions.
    8. Tide stations

1. Lakes greater than 5 square miles
B. Alaska—In addition to the standard map coverage, it also includes:
  • 1. National- and State-level roads, plus some local roads in or near urban areas
    2. Lakes greater than 5 square miles
    3. Small cities and towns
    4. Tide stations
C. Canada—In addition to the standard map coverage, it also includes:
  • 1. Lakes greater than 5 square miles (Southern Canada)
    2. Lakes greater than 10 square miles (Central Canada)
D. Mexico, Central and South America
  • Standard Map Coverage
[/list:u:24u2mwdh]
[/list:u:24u2mwdh]

I'm assuming that they did this because of the limited internal memory capabilities in this unit (and the other 'low-end' units like the GPSMAP 96, GPSMAP 96C, StreetPilot c320, StreetPilot c330, StreetPilot c340, StreetPilot i2, StreetPilot i3, and StreetPilot i5). They probably figured that a reduced-detail basemap is fine for most users that are just riding around town and will be running off the detailed maps (zoomed in) most of the time.

I'll try to determine the actual differences between the larger basemap on the StreetPilot units and the Zumo's when I actually receive the Zumo.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Thanks Jon, You Da Man :D

It may turn out to be items that we never used anyway. We'll see...

Thanks for addressing these concerns!

Lance

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just read the Zumo Manual and it looks like it has no track log. On well, I guess that I will not buy it. To bad it has lots of other nice features, but the track log is essential.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Slow down there, Gar! :)

Check out page 41 of the manual:

• Manage Trip Log—view the current trip log usage. The zūmo stores your last 10,000 points of trip data. At the start of your next big trip, you may want to reset the trip log. Touch Clear Trip Log. Clearing a large trip log may take a few minutes. You can also reuse recent trip information. Touch Save As Route to select and save a recent trip segment as a route. For more information about routes, see page 16.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow!! Thanks Jon,

After using other Garmins I looked in the index for "track Log" not "trip log", but reading the manual more closely, it sure sound like the same thing to me. I also like the feature of being able to turn a "trip Log" into a route.

After reading the manual, do you still see this unit as dummied down? If so what features do you think are missing?

Jon said:
Slow down there, Gar! :)

Check out page 41 of the manual:

• Manage Trip Log—view the current trip log usage. The zūmo stores your last 10,000 points of trip data. At the start of your next big trip, you may want to reset the trip log. Touch Clear Trip Log. Clearing a large trip log may take a few minutes. You can also reuse recent trip information. Touch Save As Route to select and save a recent trip segment as a route. For more information about routes, see page 16.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
gar01821 said:
... After reading the manual, do you still see this unit as dummied down? If so what features do you think are missing?
I don't think it's fair to compare features from just the manual - none of the manuals for these units would be considered 'complete'.

Off-hand, I'd say that features like the powerful road avoidances that exist in the 2610; user-interface capability like modifying the data tabs (and the ability to make them transparent); the lack of a prompted recalculation (this will affect you when routing and you go off-route to get gas, stop for lunch, etc); will have an impact on existing StreetPilot owners who are contemplating upgrading. The Nuvi units have the same simplified routing options and the routes that it calculates can be 'iffy' at best.

For a lot of (if not most) users, these tools/features won't be missed and the benefits will outweigh the drawbacks.

I'll know first-hand on Wednesday (my units are coming ground freight)

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I called Garmin today to ask about customization of the zumo. The tech told me that you can change the data fields just like the 276C. I'm curious about this because there is nothing about it in the manual (you can download the manual from the Garmin site).

Of course Jon is right, the Garmin manuals leave much to be desired. The manual for my old 276C just barely scratched the surface on functionality and didn't touch the more advanced features at all.

I guess time will tell with the zumo...

·
Registered
21,330 Posts
xxxrider said:
Why doesn't Garmin or someone else come out with an ADVANCED TEHNICAL MANUAL or DVD??? I would buy it in a heatbeat and I know alot of others would too!!!
very good question !

its almost unbelievable the way they sell stuff now days

·
Registered
21,330 Posts
xxxrider said:
I'm looking for a highly advanced technical manual on my Garmin 2730.
i just tried ebay and found no training DVD's for the 2610, 2720 or the 2730

if someone else finds them i would like to see them

·
Registered
21,330 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.