GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how the Zumo compares to the factory installed GL1800 GPS system. I have read that the factory system was developed by Garmin. Which one would be the preferred unit for most applications. I know that "power" users would not choose either system. Basically the question is how do they compare feature wise.

Wayne

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
The zumo or any aftermarket system will be better in my opinion. The stock unit is just too limited.

You can't make any changes while moving. This may be a safety feature, but I like to be able to operate it a little while moving. You also can't plan on your computer. Most after market units allow route planning on your computer which is a far superior way to do it.

The zumo may not be very customizable, but it's better than the Honda unit.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
DubT said:
Does anyone know how the Zumo compares to the factory installed GL1800 GPS system. I have read that the factory system was developed by Garmin. Which one would would be the preferred unit for most applications.
That depends entirely on what YOU want. What I prefer could be different from what you prefer.

- Do you prefer Integration or Portability?
- Do you prefer planning trips on a PC or just plug in a destination and go?
- Is is important to you to mess with the thing while riding or do you prefer to watch where you are going?

I think those are the big differences. The NAV is integrated, you put routes in via the bike and not a PC and most features are locked out while moving except for zooming in and out. For me, the integration is important - I like the big screen and I don't like "clutter" on my handlebars - don't care about planning trips on a PC, I pop in the destination and go (maybe a via or two - easy to program).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts