GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about upgrading from my 395LM and was noticing that the 595 is usually $50-$100 more expensive than the new XT. It seems the each have about the same capabilities with a few differences. The XT has a slightly larger display and weighs less. Reviews are positive. Just wondering what others thoughts were (bored because I'm stuck at home awaiting parts to work on bike).

·
Registered
20,674 Posts
I have been a 595 owner for three years and definitely would not recommend buying one simply because I hate the very lousy hard to read screen. Supposedly the new XT has a greatly improved screen but I haven’t actually seen one in person yet and won’t buy one until actually seeing it close up in person. If you look at the 595 online the screen looks fine but in real life it’s crap. My old GPS was a Nuvi 1450 that I used for over 300,000 miles and side by side that screen makes the 595 look like crap.
The XT should be much easier to install because the wire bundle that comes with it is much smaller than the 595.
The XT has a built in external speaker so you could actually listen to it without having to spend another $500 for a set of Bluetooth headsets.
If the XT screen actually turns out to be the major improvement Garmin claims it is I will most likely be buying one.

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
XT does not have tpms capability. That's what lost me.
Yup. I love my 590. I don't believe the screen on the new one would be significantly better. :)

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
I am adding a decent GPS to my 2018 and the TPMS is already on screen, so I will go with the new unit and will appreciate the improved screen, if such pans out.

prs

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
Loving my ZXT a BIG improvement in screen brightness and very sharp display. I do miss not having the TPMS but the one on the new GW is fine with me....I was monitoring my Bushtec trailer tires with the Z595 now that was really nice and I miss that!

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
I just cme in from installing a new Zumo XT. My last Zumo was a 540 and my son still uses that. I ran the power wires through the handle bar tunnel on the left side and then followed a wiring harness down and then under the ECM and back to the accessory terminals. It was a three hour job! (well one hour looking for where I put several tools during the job. The screen, well, so far I would say, "meh". Weather too crappy to ride, so I will report later.

prs

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
The 595 is 4+ years old. The XT will be higher performing as a core OS and longer lived going forward. Cheaper too? No brainer!!! Unless...

• you insist on having a wired output
  • you do not use technology (e.g. screen displays of text messages)
  • you have a thing for Garmin TPMS that can't be satisfied with another aftermarket option (e.g. FOBO, Doran)

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Yes, I am also liking my Zumo XT! I posted my Zumo 595LM for sale ($425 USD) on another Board & sold it in 15 minutes! So, I guess it’s still popular! :giggle:

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The 595 is 4+ years old. The XT will be higher performing as a core OS and longer lived going forward. Cheaper too? No brainer!!! Unless...

• you insist on having a wired output
  • you do not use technology (e.g. screen displays of text messages)
  • you have a Garmin TPMS fetish that can't be satisfied with another aftermarket option (e.g. FOBO, Doran)
Regarding your third bullet: it's not a fetish, it's a preference.

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
My first ride with the XT was at first beyond very disappointing. As I started the bike in the drive way the screen was nearly a perfect rear view mirror, all I could see was me. But as I began the ride I could clearly see the screen (brightness set to about 70%) on this bluebird day. BUT, the map was stationary, and my marker moved across the screen and disappeared as I kept riding away. Several miles later I pulled into a state park and found a place to fiddle with it. I am not sure what I did, but when I entered the map view selections the screen had text upon it to the effect; "Do you want to enter motorcycle mode". Well DUH, Heck yes! Then it was fine. I drove over a relatively new road that appeared on my Honda update recently and that road was on the Garmin. I then drove to a new road that is still not on the Honda unit and it was also NOT on the Garmin, but at least theis Garmin checks for updates frequently. No further trouble seeing the screen. I guess I should read the directions, they are on screen and downloadable to computer; but I usually jjust stumble through these things without the manual. It seems intuitive.

prs

1 - 15 of 15 Posts