1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My street Pilot 2720 died :-(

I have four Choices:
1. New 220
Good Price (I am a poor little pastor of a small church so.....)

2. New or used 550
Proven Unit???

3. New or Used 660
I know nothing about this one.

4. Sent the 2720 back to Garmin to fix
Might get another year or two out of it.

What would you do and why??? (Advantages/Disadvantages)

No GPS wars please.... :eek:4:

Thanks!
RevJonG

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have a Z-660 that replaced my old 2610. It works fine. As with any device, personal preference may have a lot to do with your level of satisfaction.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Consider a non-Zumo model such as a Nuvi. More features, lots less cost. Discontinued models going for $100-$140 with bluetooth, MP3, larger screen, and ability to download custom routes. Trade offs: They are not rainproof. Consider the 765t or the 1390t w/5"screen. I just replaced my 2810 with a 765T and like it alot....

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
The big question

Do any of the NUVI models provide the ability to plan long and complex routes where I choose the roads rather than the GPS? I require the ability to plan routes on my home computer and then download them to the GPS unit. My ancient Garmin Quest does this and came with the necessary computer software. The Quest still works but the display is small and my near vision is getting worse every year. The maps are obsolete too. The Zumas will all do what I want but I'm hoping to find a cheaper alternative.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can advise.

Edit: Sorry if I hijacked the thread but I thought the question might be of interest to the original poster as well.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
What would you do and why??? (Advantages/Disadvantages)

I'd ask myself what features I want and go from there...

For a Goldwing GPS I want the following features:

• Weatherproof
  • XM Radio/Weather/Traffic
  • Larger 4" to 5" screen
  • Motorcycle Friendly
  • Most all the features I am use to on my 2730
Pretty much narrows my selection down to the Zumo 665...

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
Just received my new Zumo 665 two days ago. I'm now downloading map updates, which is a slow process, several hours. I've not used the MP3 or XM yet. It appears to be a very solid unit. I paid $700.99 via Ebay. Now, if I can just find the micro SD card. My only complaint is ambiguous directions, but that could just be my stupidity.

Update:

My Zumo 665 is working like a charm. I found the Ram connection (included) to be very sturdy, wiring quite simple, etc. Also, it seems much more user friendly than my old 2610. I will be testing it out thoroughly on my trip to Alaska in a couple of weeks. My only problem seems to be learning how to download music to the micro sd card for the MP3 player. I'm still undecided about an XM subscription. I did call XM to check on deals, but could not understand/hear the XM service person, but probably due to my loss of hearing.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
Consider a non-Zumo model such as a Nuvi. More features, lots less cost. Discontinued models going for $100-$140 with bluetooth, MP3, larger screen, and ability to download custom routes. Trade offs: They are not rainproof. Consider the 765t or the 1390t w/5"screen. I just replaced my 2810 with a 765T and like it alot....
:agree: +1 for the 765T. I have one, about $150 from COMPUSA. Bought an Aquabox from GPSCITY. Does fine by me.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Do any of the NUVI models provide the ability to plan long and complex routes where I choose the roads rather than the GPS? I require the ability to plan routes on my home computer and then download them to the GPS unit.

Yes. at least the 765T and the 1390T does. Another bonus is that its much easier to import the routes than my 2820 used to be. The route recalculation is done internally in the unit rather than in Mapsource or Roadtrip (Mac). There is a limit on the custom routes though. I think its 10 routes but that wasn't a problem as I carry my netbook with me too.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
:agree: +1 for the 765T. I have one, about $150 from COMPUSA. Bought an Aquabox from GPSCITY. Does fine by me.
Bought mine from Ritz Camera for $129 about a month ago. If it rains in goes in the trunk or as others have done, use a ziplock baggie. It works great as an addition to the Honda GPS. Funny how with 2 units I can still get lost!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a 2610 then it jumped off the bike at 60mph then bought the 660 and loved it. Then the 665 came out and upgraded to it. The only thing I don't like is that you have to go into tools to turn the XM on after the unit has been off will have the 660 for sale when we return form Montana in two weeks

·
Registered
19,057 Posts
Zumo 550 new:yes1:

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Zumo?

I may be wrong on this, but I believe my Garmin Nuvi 500 is waterproof, plus it does support importing of route files from Mapsource. Only drawback is small screen, which may be considered a benefit by some. You might find a killer deal on one of these. Might be worth checking out.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Just received my new Zumo 665 two days ago. I'm now downloading map updates, which is a slow process, several hours. I've not used the MP3 or XM yet. It appears to be a very solid unit. I paid $700.99 via Ebay. Now, if I can just find the micro SD card. My only complaint is ambiguous directions, but that could just be my stupidity.
I hope you never need Warranty work. Ebay is not an approved Garmin dealer therefore the warranty is void on any unit purchased through Ebay :nojoke:.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I like my 550 - I switch it between 2 bikes. Also have XM antenna for it.
I also have a Oregon 450t that I stick in a pocket.

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
I hope you never need Warranty work. Ebay is not an approved Garmin dealer therefore the warranty is void on any unit purchased through Ebay :nojoke:.
The Zumo was in a new and unopned box. I registered it, downloaded the 2011 maps, etc. According to the paperwork, the seller is an authorized Garmin dealer. However, I know what you're saying, since Ebay purchases can be questionable. Since registering the ZUMO, I have a Garmin account, so will contact them regarding the warranty.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
I suggest that you call or email: gpsdiscount.com

You will get good advice from them along with competitive prices. I have bought two GPS units from them and have been pleased.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Does the 765T have an output so you can hear the directions through the Wing stereo?

How do you have your mounted on your bike?

Thanks,
Hector

Bought mine from Ritz Camera for $129 about a month ago. If it rains in goes in the trunk or as others have done, use a ziplock baggie. It works great as an addition to the Honda GPS. Funny how with 2 units I can still get lost!!!!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Anybody have a 780? I got mine today, seems like it's gonna be hard to read in the sunshine?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts