GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally rode the ZX14 that I mentioned in a Dec. thread. It only takes three words to describe the ride/power...OH MY GOD!
I'm 44 and have ridden lots of bikes, mostly sport/sport touring/standards with ~ 100 rear wheel HP. I currently ride a VFR and Goldwing. Climbing onto the ZX I noticed the ergos about like my VFR with pegs lower than true sport/trackday bikes. It took me a mile or two to get onto the 4 lane hwy that I had to ride for 15 miles to get to the twisties in the north Ga mtns. There was little to no traffic so I cranked it up.....slowly the first few times and wow you better be holding on becuase it will throw you off or pull your arms out of socket. It rode very nicely on the hwy with great/quiet/smooth airflow (better than my VFR which needs a double bubble). Redline is 11k. 2nd gear at 5k = 50mph, 2nd gear at 11k = 120mph. 3rd gear at 11k = 140mph, I didn't test gears 4-6. As on all the bikes I've ridden, the sweet spot where the engines pulls nice and good engine braking is alwasy around 10-11 o'clock on the tach, on the ZX this equals 6-7k. You would really never need to go over 7k but I did once I finally reached the mtns. I rode lovely, twisty hwy 60 from Morganton, GA past two wheels only to hwy 19 in Dahlonega and back which equals about 75 miles of great twisties. The ZX rode about like the VFR, a great handling but heavy (compared to the RR's of the world). It changed direction smoothly and the brakes are very powerful. I have to tell you that I was on this bike for ~ 2 hours, 100 miles and did not want to get off, its that good. Hwy 60 is a great rode for sportbikes and the ZX was a lot of fun on it. I used 2nd gear most of the time going from 5k rpm at 50 to over 100mph on some of the longer straights. On some of those strarights I wacked it pretty good and held on. The acceleration is flat out exciting/intoxicating/addicting (I have that problem on any bike). The engine never screamed whether I was at 5k or 11k, I really like that as I don't like to annoucnce to the Leo's up ahead that I'm coming (or aggrevate the locals). I always say you don't need more than 100 rear wheel hp on a 450-500 lb bike and you don't, BUT- well you know. I consider the VFR the perfect all 'rounder and am tempted to replace it with the ZX. The problem is the VFR has hardbags, a large metal tank with a 250 mile range (the ZX avg. 30 mpg so 150 mile range). I guess you could strap soft luggage on the ZX but I don't think it would look very good (vein I know but the function the VFR provides and stil looks good counts for me). The ZX has a gear indicator which I really liked and as stated earlier you could spend all day in 2nd and 3rd gear. The ZX is slightly longer and has a 190 rear tire which makes it very stable but it doesn't turn in like a GSXR, not a problem with me as I don't exceed my personal 8/10ths often, most wouldn't notice and be happy with the handling (I was).
I do think you need to be very experienced to ride/own this bike if you want to keep you liscense and your life. Its amazing how fast the ZX accelerates and I found myself wanting to crank it up all the time on any road straight, curvy or inbetween. I know that 120-140mph sounds crazy and it is on the street but on the ZX it feels normal, it does it that smooth, stable and that well. That's also why I likely won't get one, I mean how long can you get away with that? I seem to have good luck and don't ride in city traffic. I ride 20-25k miles/yr with no wrecks or tickets. The tickects is pure luck, the wrecks more skill than luck I hope. I am careful where/when to crank it up but on the street you still never now when buck or doe is going to appear. Also with a wife, 2yr old, 5 yr old and mortgage I just don't think a 180 rear wheel HP bike is the recipie for longevity but I'm seriously thinking sell the VFR and get one! maybe ride alot less but enjoy that insane power every now and then. I think the insurance and replacing tires every 2k miles would be enough to discourgage me but I have the serial number and am calling my agent tommorow! I know I should just keep the VFR or get another Vstrom but there is nothing like that ZX14.
The GM who let me ride this bike also said I can ride his '07 1000RR anytime I like, the parts guy whined because the GM won't let him ride either. Next up, my ride on the '07 1000RR.

Steve

·
Registered
19,374 Posts
I heard KAWA may put standard bars and some touring bags for a very fast sports tourer next year

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Too much horsepower is never enough. :D

I want one, but alas will have to wait a bit.

·
Registered
443 Posts
That's the Concours model they already have out. Only two things I don't like is the single pipe with catalytic converter, and I don't own one.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
jpwpar said:
That's the Concours model they already have out. Only two things I don't like is the single pipe with catalytic converter, and I don't own one.
They don't have this Concours out yet! If they did, I would have one! :)

·
Vendor
22,218 Posts
I have a new 06 FJR in the garage and I am amazed at the power it has (140hp). I can't imagine adding another 40hp to that and dropping 100 lbs. That ZX-14 has to be right out there on the edge of insanity.

I am watching the Concours-14 real close, and would not be surprised to find one in my garage in a year or so. Well see....

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
KA7W said:
If I could get this old body to fit on that ZX14 Concours, My wing would be on the Kawasaki shops floor as a trade in !!

Who in their right minds want to die in a bed ??? Give me speed and horsepower to leave this world with !!! :lol:

I can hear the Coroner now, " How far did you say this body slid down the road ??"
Hehehehehheeheh....
(I agree)

Steve

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I was secretly happy to see the ZX gone from the Honda/Kaw/Sus shop I get work done at. It was tempting!

I've received 6 warnings for speeding in a row. I think the "old man on a Goldwing" image is in part credited for those not being tickets!

20 over the speed limit or 80+ anywhere in Virginia is a reckless driving criminal offense (misdemeanor). It has a whole different set of repercussions than a simple driving infraction. Beware!

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
jpwpar said:
No it's not my brother in law has had one on order for a while it still hasn't come in.
Hey Steve, great post!! Too fast or too powerful is not even in my vocabulary.

If it weren't for wifey I'd be all over the new Connie, too cool!!

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
KA7W said:
If I could get this old body to fit on that ZX14 Concours, My wing would be on the Kawasaki shops floor as a trade in !!

Who in their right minds want to die in a bed ??? Give me speed and horsepower to leave this world with !!! :lol:

I can hear the Coroner now, " How far did you say this body slid down the road ??"
You ARE the MAN!!!!! I've probably got about 15,000 posts on car and motorcycle forums, and I can't even begin to top that one!

·
Registered
19,374 Posts
KA7W said:

Imagine that bad boy with a car tire!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
KA7W said:
Who in their right minds want to die in a bed ???
That would all depend on who is rolling me off them after I die. :lol:

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
daddysbike said:
Redline is 11k. 2nd gear at 5k = 50mph, 2nd gear at 11k = 120mph. 3rd gear at 11k = 140mph, I didn't test gears 4-6.
Steve, nice write up. Someone needs to explain to me what these bikes
can't do that makes the manufacturers not put them in cruisers. Take my
Kawasaki 2053cc Vulcan for instance. My rev limiter wouldn't allow a
speed that high in 2nd gear. I love a cruiser, and don't want cylinder
heads in the way of my feet. I don't think that would be an issue with
the inline 4's. Shirley, I mean surely, it isn't just the V-twin rumble as
the reason why cruisers don't have the sportbike engines, is it?

Herb

1 - 20 of 22 Posts